Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How are rough cuts/edges graded?

I did a search and cannot find information on how PSA grades rough cuts or rough edges. I checked the PSA standards and there is nothing mentioned there either. I do know that many OPC cards can have rough cut edges and still be high grade cards, but I do not know about other cards by other manufacturers. Does PSA make an allowance for OPC cards, or maybe cards in certain sets that are known to have rough cut edges?

I am asking because I am collecting the 1956 Topps Flags of the World set. (I know this is the Sports Cards and Memorabilia forum, but the non-sports card forum is dead!) I have a decent amount of them raw and have noticed the rough cut edges on many of them. A few of the cards look really nice, except for the rough edges. Here is an example:

And the back:

Any advice/input of the experts would be appreciated! Thanks!
Positive transactions: Bighurt2000 - DavidPuddy - ShootyBabitt - Bosox1976 - LarryP - Captainthreeputt - Tedw9 - aconte -EAsports -Johnsteph10 -hhmag70 - depcs - TheThrill22 - scotgreb - longtimemetsfan - cadets68 - augustaman - mcholke - miconelegacy

Comments

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not an expert, but I have seen rough cut OPC hockey grade PSA Gem 10!
  • TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    nothing better than a nice rough cut. pretty much eliminates the card edge being altered (trimmed) and I'll found PSA treats rough cuts with love! and have had many a high grade with the rough cut
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree that PSA likes rough cuts; fuzzy=fresh

Send 'em in.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    inconsistantly
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would send them in.

Good luck...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • SethroSethro Posts: 671 ✭✭
    Courtesy of Bobby's non-sports sub I managed to get this card graded. As many of you noted, rough cuts/edges seem to be OK. Here is the grade for my 1956 Flags of the World Guatemala:

18503202 MINT 9 1956 FLAGS OF WORLD 78 GUATEMALA Card US

Thank you all for the input!
    Positive transactions: Bighurt2000 - DavidPuddy - ShootyBabitt - Bosox1976 - LarryP - Captainthreeputt - Tedw9 - aconte -EAsports -Johnsteph10 -hhmag70 - depcs - TheThrill22 - scotgreb - longtimemetsfan - cadets68 - augustaman - mcholke - miconelegacy
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Go for it!!You should lose points on them.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    roughie + toughie = image