Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

post something medieval

I'm getting back into my hammered coin collection, after putting it aside for a while. Here's one that just came in -

Anglo-Gallic Edward I (Denier au Léopard)-

Post something medieval! image

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Done. >>

Funny you should mention that, as I just finished watching the first few episodes the other day. I didn't know they were on youtube, thanks for the link.

Here's a French feudal coin I picked up last week (bishops of valence) -

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    1485-1509 Halfpenny of Henry VII.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not gotten tired of pulling this one out a lot. MJ

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Snaphaen , Gelria 35mm 7,7 Grammes, first big silver duch coin in the Netherlands around 1500:

Gros Tournais - france - silver = 12 deniers - important type of coin minted all over Europe between 1200 - 1500
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few of my mediaevals that I've already scanned:

Genoa, mediaeval-style silver denaro, struck 1150-1300. On the obverse is named King Conrad III who recognized Genovese independence, and on the reverse the city emblem, a gate.
    imageimage

City of Cattaro (modern Kotor, Montenegro) under Venetian occupation 1420-1660, a silver half-dinar with official's marks PD, which I believe dates from sometime around 1500. Listed in Dimnik & Dobrinic as number 7.8.2.2. Obverse Saint Tryphon, the local patron saint in Cattaro, while on the reverse is St Mark of Venice.
    imageimage

And what's probably my favourite Mediaeval, a silver asper circa 1300 of Trebizond, a little piece of the Byzantine Empire that broke away and formed an independent empire in what is now northern Turkey when the Crusaders hit Constantinople in 1204. On the obverse is the Grand Comnenus (emperor) John II, on the reverse is Saint Eugenius, patron saint of this little empire.
    imageimage
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Type: Fiorino d’oro
    Date: No Date (1252-1300)

imageimage

The 1st of the Italian gold coins introduced in the late middle ages.
  • Options

Great variety here, as I expected.image Cool coins, all!

<< <i>I have not gotten tired of pulling this one out a lot. MJ >>

...can't blame you there, that's a beauty!

Here's another Anglo-Gallic Edward I, this one is the denier au lion -

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    1515-1547 Francois I, France, Ecu D'or du Dauphine.

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    GERMAN STATES Heinrich V Bavaria Regensburg 1018-1026 Denar
    AR Denar Regensburg Mint; Mintmaster name: OHCCC
    DVX / HEINR in cross.
    Temple.
    CIVIT REGN
    Kluge 269

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    1380-1422 Charles VI, France, Ecu D'or.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently posted, this may be the only medieval piece I own. I will post it as a larger image.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    A Henry IV heavy dies halfpenny. ex Lockett and Norweb.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    1422-53 France Salut D'Or
    imageimage

1678 kreuzer
    imageimage
  • Options
    1461-1475 Germany, Mayence, Goldgulden. Archbishop Adolf II Von Nassau. Ref: Friedberg 1628.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scotland ~ David I(1124-1153)

Researchers have long debated whom was the first Scottish King to have actually instituted a native Scottish coinage. Whilst the Kingdom of Northumbria encompassed parts of Scotland up to the Forth River, it is believed that all of the Northumbrian coinage was minted in the south, ie York. Occasionally these coins are found in southern Scotland. Ca. 1980 there was a report in the press about a researcher determining that a coin was minted during the reign of Ecfrith of Deira and Northumbria (664-670 AD) in Scotland, but subsequent research has determined that this theory is not with due merit.

Earlier volumes on Scottish Coinage, such as "The Coinage of Scotland" by J.D. Robertson have suggested that the first native Scottish coins were issued during the reign of Alexander I (1107-1124) however this is 19th century research, which has since been disproven. Without a doubt, David I issued coins in his name, and therefore is most likely the first Scottish monarch to have actually issued them as such.

The first Scottish coins are believed to be those issued by King David I(1124-1153), previous to this time very few coins ever found their way into Scotland, though some Roman era and Northumbrian sceats are very occasionally found. The first issue of coins was ca. 1136, and was likely connected to the Scottish capture of Carlisle and it's mines. Even after the introduction of a native coinage, barter continued to the basis for the economy for many years.

David I was the youngest son of Malcolm Canmore (1058-1093) and the third son to have acceded the throne after his father. His early years appear to have been spent in England, the birthplace of his mother, Margaret(whom was the sister of Edgar The Aetheling.) With his mother's sponsorship, and given his lower rank in the possibility of his inheriting the throne he spent much of his youth in the Church and was an accomplished student. In 1113 he was married to Matilda, whom was the daughter of the Earl of Northumberland. With this marriage he acquired lands south of the Hadrian's Wall in Northumberland, Huntington and Northampton. This acquisition would result in his being recognised as a Norman Baron. David's older brother, Alexander I, soon would recognise David as the sub-king of the Scottish lowlands as a result.

In 1124 Alexander I died and the throne again was inherited by a son of Malcolm Canmore and David I would soon have the opportunity to forge Scotland into a united kingdom once more, as divisions existed from the earlier disputed monarchs of Scotland. Some of the legacies which were instituted during this reign included the creation of the counties of Scotland, which in effect lasted until 1975.

Whilst there was a sound degree of harmony in Scotland, the opposite was true of her southern neighbour, England. The first English Civil War was in full swing, with Stephen (1135-1154) as King of England defending himself against Matilda, whom was the daughter of Henry with purportedly a better claim at the throne. Whilst the explanation of the English Civil War would take up volumes, it can be summarised in that David I of Scotland soon saw opportunity knocking and moved south in favour of his niece, Matilda in 1135. Despite having made this move, it is in retrospect, obvious that he was looking more for acquisition than assisting Matilda, as subsequently his support could be described as lukewarm at best.

The move south resulted in the Scots acquiring Carlisle, with it's nearby mines, and importantly for coin collectors, it's mint. Coins had been struck in the name of Stephen since the previous year. The capture of the mint resulted in some coins in Stephen's name still being struck after the capture, but soon they began changing the dies and issued pennies in David's name.

Many of the coins issued during this reign are quite similar to the English issues of Stephen, and this has led to some confusion given the fact that all of the coins from this era were quite crude by comparison with earlier issues. Workmanship on the coins had deteriorated, and legends on the coins were often blundered, the result of uneducated die cutters creating the coins. All of the coins of this era featured a portrait of the monarch, or more likely during this time a crude representation of him. The reverse was usually a short cross with pellets in the quarters of it. Later in the reign coins were minted in Berwick, Perth, Roxburgh and Edinburgh.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

Definitely a rare wee coin Saor. Thanks for sharing it and its history.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coins, everyone!

What a great piece of history, SaorAlba! Thank you for sharing it.
  • Options
    First thing I thought of when seeing SaorAlba's coin was Stephen, very similar design and strike. Very cool!image

So much to inspire posted here!

Here's another French feudal coin, listed as Anjou under Henry II/Richard I rule -

• Options

Henry III, from the Brussels Hoard -

Brussels Hoard (york coins link)

• Options

<< <i>First thing I thought of when seeing SaorAlba's coin was Stephen, very similar design and strike. Very cool!image

>>

A "reign" from that era that I seriously would not mind having a nice coin from is Mathilda, the rival claimant to the English throne during the reign of Stephen. Also wouldn't mind owning a Prince Henry(Scots heir, English Earl) or a Malcolm IV.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Another one of my favorite medievals

Type: Lion Heaume’ d’or
    Date: ND (1346-1384)

imageimage
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Is that David I piece yours? Nice coin - my flatmate would love to get one, but since we are both postgrad students that isn't very likely...

<< <i>

<< <i>First thing I thought of when seeing SaorAlba's coin was Stephen, very similar design and strike. Very cool!image

>>

A "reign" from that era that I seriously would not mind having a nice coin from is Mathilda, the rival claimant to the English throne during the reign of Stephen. Also wouldn't mind owning a Prince Henry(Scots heir, English Earl) or a Malcolm IV. >>

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another Henry III

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Is that David I piece yours? Nice coin - my flatmate would love to get one, but since we are both postgrad students that isn't very likely...
    >>

'Tis my earliest Scot coin. I have many others that are scarcer, pricier etc but this is the oldest one.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    This one should look familiar to FilthyBroke...

England penny, 1272-1307, Edward I

One of the very few coins I've mailordrered, from my friend Brian at bargainbinancients.com
    Hungary 1577 denar

Poland 1623 3 polker, purchased from Alan Berman at CoinFest in 2009...for under $10!

Those are the only three in my collection that could be termed anything near Medieval.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options

<< <i>This one should look familiar to FilthyBroke...

England penny, 1272-1307, Edward I
    >>

Ah, that's the Llanddona hoard coin, right? Cool story behind those, I still have an Edward I and II from that hoard.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only am I short on medieval stuff at the moment, but I no longer have any pictures of any of my past medieval lovelies.

I do have a holey Bulgarian piece from the 13th century or so on my vest, but as yet there is no picture of it.

Here... some of these are probably late medieval (i.e., 1500s or so)...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And another Llandona Hoard Edward I, London Mint.
    I got this piece thanks to the two posters above me who made it happen.

• Options

Very cool stuff!! image

I added this Henry II tealby penny to the collection over the weekend-

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a very cool thread. What're the cutoff dates for "medieval"?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>This is a very cool thread. What're the cutoff dates for "medieval"? >>

Good question. i think it's up to interpretation, but I've always assumed it to mean loosely from the post-Roman Empire age to the beginning of milled coinage (early 1500's).

Anyone with a more technical definition for us?
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    Edward III third coinage halfpenny

• Options

<< <i>Not only am I short on medieval stuff at the moment, but I no longer have any pictures of any of my past medieval lovelies.

I do have a holey Bulgarian piece from the 13th century or so on my vest, but as yet there is no picture of it.

Here... some of these are probably late medieval (i.e., 1500s or so)...

image >>

Interesting picture. I'm currently translating a book from Russian to English on these coins entitled Ìîíåòû Ìóñêîâó Ðóñè (Coins of Muscovy Russia).
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

An excellent collection of medieval coins will be offered at auction in March:

Auctions in March
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me