Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

WTB: a Yap stone

anyone have experience with these? stone would not have to be shipped....we can discuss via PM

www.brunkauctions.com

Comments

• HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't expect to have shipping included image

isn't a yap stone one of those guys you can buy, and basically the ownership tranfers is the entire community saying "ok, the 2 ton yap stone in the bay isn't LordM's anymore, it's Greg's"
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a small one in a HA auction a while back--could be the Boston ANA World sale. It was the property of a coin club in CA. It sold in the $12k range and I believe I was underbidder. This is all from (rusty) memory. If you want more details, I can check my notes.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know where there used to be one, buried in a certain yard in Stuart, Florida... image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oooo tell the story again LordM! I recall some pictures too, but not the details.

Cathy

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found the link for the one sold by Heritage.

It was the HA World Sale at the Boston ANA in Aug 2010. Listed under Yemen since they probably have no entry for Yap in their database. Hammered for $16,000 ($18,400 with BP).
  • Top50SetBuilderTop50SetBuilder Posts: 930 ✭✭✭
    kagins had one for sale in coin world a few weeks back. i believe the asking price was around $40,000
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oooo tell the story again LordM! I recall some pictures too, but not the details. >>

Here, Kathy. Some if not most of the pix may be red-x after three years, but that was a fun (if futile) quest.

Operation "Stone Holey"

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is one of the bigs that I will probably never own. At least I have the Swedish plates.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone tried to sell Littleton's on eBay a few years ago. Errr, I'll sell you that one if you want. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OT (and totally derailing this thread...sorry OP), but oddly enough yesterday I met a nice pregnant lady who delivered her first baby at the naval hospital on Guam--I guess it was so interesting that her op report for her prior cesarean specifically said she was 'from the Island of Yap'. I REALLY had to bite my tongue and not ask her about Yap stones!

So here in Japan, I've seen a Yap stone (a small one in the museum in Osaka) and a Yapamanian lady (what is the right word for a native of Yap???).

Okay, back to your thread and I hope you find one so you can post pictures!

Cathy