Home Stamps Forum

Schermack #314 Strip of 7

I have a strip of 7 #314, tyoe 3, Position #2 and 6 are hinged, the balance is N/H. Overall condition is VF ++ (cannot justify superb). What is it worth? I have a guess (well educated), but finding any history on strips greater than 4 is so dated it is no longer relavent. Currently out with a US dealer, but it will be back in my possesion on 21 July. Going out for PSE cert sometime around end of month. Please Email me with your opinion/advise (I will respond). Thanks. Stampsphx@yahoo.com.
Just another retired old dealer.

Comments

• I am having a difficult time identifying the stamp you discuss. Scott # 314 is a 1 cent imperf issued in 1903. However, I cannot find any reference to a type distinction for this issue.

Mike
  • Hi Mike. The type 3 refers to the Shermack type. Shermack's are private perf's (listed in the US Specialized as such). FYI: The Schermack Corp was based in Detroit, MI, and, among many other things, manufactured stamp vending machines, and purchased stamps from the USPD, and perforated imperferate issues for ease of dispensing stamps from their machines. Finding values up to strips of 4 is relatively easy (E-Bay alone has over 100 different lots), but for something as large as a strip of 7 -- I can't find anything for the last three years. Really, a very scarce item. I am afraid of letting it go to cheap.
  • Thank you for the information. I have a couple Schermack perf'd stamps, but had not payed them much attention. I must do some more reading on this subject. You're right about not being able to find values for strips of these stamps. I would suggest using the value for a pair times 3.5 for 7 stamps, and then add a 30 to 50 percent premium for the entire strip. Don't ask me how I come up with this math, it is just what I would do. I believe PSE bases their cost of stamp grading on the value of the item, so that might be a another source of valuing. However, I'm not sure PSE will grade a strip of seven stamps.

Mike
  • Unfortunately, Scott is way behind the powerball on the value of this stamp. Scott values the (basic) 314 as a single at $16.00 hinged, $35.00 never hinged. A pair of Schermacks (type 3) is only $11.50. Nice pairs go for up to 4 times cat, nice strips of four up to 10 (or more) times cat (again on Ebay). So, the collectors who want them know they are way undervalued.