Home Sports Talk
Options

Ryan Howard

markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
I noticed that his numbers are down again this year. Has his new contract even kicked in yet? How many millions will the team have to eat before it's over. He's still productive, but but he is no longer a premier player.

Comments

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Wonder if its just a slump. He's still so young. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him regain his form at some point soon.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< I noticed that his numbers are down again this year >>>

I think you need to "notice" better - Howard is right up there with the leaders in home runs and rbi's - that's exactly what he is being paid to do.

Case closed.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    You picked a fine time to kvetch about Ryan Howard... tonight he went 4-5 with two singles, a double, and a homer, with three runs scored, and four RBIs.

Can you start a new thread about how bad the Orioles are doing? image
  • Options

<< <i>You picked a fine time to kvetch about Ryan Howard... tonight he went 4-5 with two singles, a double, and a homer, with three runs scored, and four RBIs.

Can you start a new thread about how bad the Orioles are doing? image >>

Yes, and the Phillies scored 14 runs - the CU Sports Talk forum reverse jinx is alive and well. image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Stevek you know that RBI's are meaningless.

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Stevek you know that RBI's are meaningless.

image >>

The fact is that Howard is putting together a possible MVP season..at the very least he should be right up there in the MVP voting - and then some make comments such as "he is no longer a premier player" which is just plain silly.

...and of course some here believe MVP voting is meaningless as well. Yes, those RBI's and MVP voting are meaningless. LOL

...and...if Howard was playing for the Atlanta Braves, I would have to imagine that some here who post in the Braves thread, would be comparing him to Hank Aaron...instead he gets compared by the Phillies bashers to Dave Kingman. LOL
  • Options

<< <i><<< I noticed that his numbers are down again this year >>>

I think you need to "notice" better - Howard is right up there with the leaders in home runs and rbi's - that's exactly what he is being paid to do.

Case closed. >>

Sounds more like a closed mind than a closed case. As I said, he is productive but is being paid (or soon will be for several years) as if he is a superstar. If his decline continues, he will be just another decent 1st baseman in a couple of years.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i><<< I noticed that his numbers are down again this year >>>

Case closed. >>

Sounds more like a closed mind than a closed case. As I said, he is productive but is being paid (or soon will be for several years) as if he is a superstar. If his decline continues, he will be just another decent 1st baseman in a couple of years. >>

Okay...let me get this straight...so a player who is up there with the leaders in home runs and rbi's, and is a league candidate for MVP...is on the decline? image
  • Options

Okay...let me get this straight...so a player who is up there with the leaders in home runs and rbi's, and is a league candidate for MVP...is on the decline? image >>

He is only 18th in OPS, despite playing 1/2 his games in an extreme hitter's park. Good, but not what one would expect for someone making the money he is. His OPS went down 108 points in 07, and another 95 in 08. He was up 50 in 09, and down 72 in 10. He is down 14 points so far this year. His OPS is down 240 points from its peak, and has declined four of the last five years. Yeah, I call that a decline.
  • Options

<< <i>Okay...let me get this straight...so a player who is up there with the leaders in home runs and rbi's, and is a league candidate for MVP...is on the decline? image >>

He is only 18th in OPS, despite playing 1/2 his games in an extreme hitter's park. Good, but not what one would expect for someone making the money he is. His OPS went down 108 points in 07, and another 95 in 08. He was up 50 in 09, and down 72 in 10. He is down 14 points so far this year. His OPS is down 240 points from its peak, and has declined four of the last five years. Yeah, I call that a decline. >>

Thanks for the info...BTW, the Phillies are in first place in the NL East.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Okay...let me get this straight...so a player who is up there with the leaders in home runs and rbi's, and is a league candidate for MVP...is on the decline? image >>

He is only 18th in OPS, despite playing 1/2 his games in an extreme hitter's park. Good, but not what one would expect for someone making the money he is. His OPS went down 108 points in 07, and another 95 in 08. He was up 50 in 09, and down 72 in 10. He is down 14 points so far this year. His OPS is down 240 points from its peak, and has declined four of the last five years. Yeah, I call that a decline. >>

Thanks for the info...BTW, the Phillies are in first place in the NL East. >>

Howard is on the decline, like most players who sign big contracts.
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When a guy has 67 RBI's and it isn't even the All Star break yet, it's hard to call him slumping. Most NL-ers would gladly accept that kindof season.
  • Options

Thanks for the info...BTW, the Phillies are in first place in the NL East. >>

What has that got to do with whether or not Howard is in a declining phase of his career? Howard is a fine player, but his numbers are inflated by his home park (his road OPS is more than a 100 points below the one at home). Flags fly forever, and if he helps the Phils win another WS, then perhaps it will have been worth it. If the front office is happy, the fans are happy, and the team is winning now, perhaps no one will care in 2-3 years that they are paying $20,000,000 to a player who is of little value.

Remember, there is no DH in the NL, and he is already a terrible defensive 1st baseman. The Fielding Bible has him as the 35th best 1st baseman this year, after ranking 33rd last year. Only once in the last six years has he been better than 20th.

• Options

<< <i>Thanks for the info...BTW, the Phillies are in first place in the NL East. >>

What has that got to do with whether or not Howard is in a declining phase of his career? Howard is a fine player, but his numbers are inflated by his home park (his road OPS is more than a 100 points below the one at home). Flags fly forever, and if he helps the Phils win another WS, then perhaps it will have been worth it. If the front office is happy, the fans are happy, and the team is winning now, perhaps no one will care in 2-3 years that they are paying $20,000,000 to a player who is of little value.

Remember, there is no DH in the NL, and he is already a terrible defensive 1st baseman. The Fielding Bible has him as the 35th best 1st baseman this year, after ranking 33rd last year. Only once in the last six years has he been better than 20th. >>

<<< What has that got to do with whether or not Howard is in a declining phase of his career? >>>

Because I had already made my points, and if Ryan Howard bats .000 for the season and strikes out in every at bat, and every ball hit to him or thrown to him or that he throws results in an error...and the Phillies win the World Series...that's all what matters to me. image
  • Options

Because I had already made my points, and if Ryan Howard bats .000 for the season and strikes out in every at bat, and every ball hit to him or thrown to him or that he throws results in an error...and the Phillies win the World Series...that's all what matters to me. image >>

I agree with you 100% on that-except for the part about the Phillies. I would substitute the Braves. I like the Phils-The 1st MLB game I ever saw live was Phillies-Dodgers in 1959. All I remember is that the Phillies won 2-1.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    From ESPN.com:

The 30-year-old Howard will make $20 million each in 2012 and 2013 and $25 million annually from 2014-16. The Phillies have a $23 million club option for 2017 with a $10 million buyout.

I agree with the OP in that Howard is declining....but he's still a productive hitter that is the cornerstone of that lineup.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the info...BTW, the Phillies are in first place in the NL East. >>

Remember, there is no DH in the NL, and he is already a terrible defensive 1st baseman. The Fielding Bible has him as the 35th best 1st baseman this year, after ranking 33rd last year. Only once in the last six years has he been better than 20th. >>

Ahem...it's $25,000,000. I still don't understand signing someone for that kind of money almost 2 years beforehand. Same definitely goes for Tulo. >>

We've discussed this before when he was signed to this contract...I'm not in the mood to rehash it...the Phillies basically had no choice but to sign him if at all possible...and it was possible so they did.

Ya gotta understand one important fact - Ryan Howard puts keisters in the seats. Many people come to the ballpark, not mainly to see some .333 average singles hitter, but to hopefully see a power hitter like Howard hit home runs. And tell me...how often do you channel surf on TV and a guy like Howard comes to the plate, you watch to see what happens...so guys like Howard are good for TV ratings as well.

Yes, he's a dam good player and in my viewpoint worth the money alone based on that. But even if anyone disagrees with me on that, nobody can disagree about him increasing ballpark attendance and TV ratings - and that's a lot of money involved.
  • Options
    It is a OK siging because it is one of Stevie Boys teams.
  • Options

<< <i>stevek,

Even if everything you say is true, I still don't understand the signing. Was he going to sit himself out if he didn't get the deal done that early? Would Phillies' fans really have bought fewer tickets or tuned into games less if they didn't get the deal done that early? Howard was going to become a free agent in a class with Pujols, Fielder, and Gonzales. Even though Gonzales is now locked down, one of the largest payroll teams are totally out of the picture for a first baseman, as are the Yankees. I don't see what benefit it was for the Phillies to get the deal done that early. Maybe it just sent oodles of good feeling through Phillies' fans to know that he got locked up so soon. I don't know. >>

<<< Maybe it just sent oodles of good feeling through Phillies' fans to know that he got locked up so soon. >>>

I'm gonna go with this one. image
  • Options
    One of my favorite things to watch is how almost everytime the Braves face the Phillies, Atlanta puts on the infield shift and Howard inevitably grounds out to the 2nd baseman who is playing in shallow right. Its a thing of beauty.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    Mark

Good info on the stats, however just because his personal OPS numbers are down does not necessarily mean he is in decline.

Those numbers against the league average would dictate that. Yes?

I too do not understand that signing, however, the Phillies front office must have had their reasons.

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Mark

Good info on the stats, however just because his personal OPS numbers are down does not necessarily mean he is in decline.

I too do not understand that signing, however, the Phillies front office must have had their reasons. >>

I think the fact that he has declined 4 of the last 5 years is significant. I will acknowledge that with overal offense down, his OPS+ is about the same as it was last year.
  • Options

<< <i>Mark

I too do not understand that signing, however, the Phillies front office must have had their reasons. >>

Where the Phillies bashers don't quite get it, is that the Phillies for a number of seasons now, have been one of the premier winning teams in baseball. They made the right move to sign Ryan Howard and wrap him up, the price was necessary because the player stealing Yankees or some other MLB team like the player stealing Red Sox who stole one of the Phillies best pitchers, Curt Schilling, would have signed him in a second if they could.

The Phillies have made all the right moves and the Philly haters can't stand it. Well a big HA HA to that!
  • Options
    How did the Sox steal Schilling?
  • Options
    Stevek I wasn't bashing the Phillies.

SteveK your justification is hypocritical. Enjoy the ride. Your team steals as much as the next team.

Your starting pitching staff?

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Stevek I wasn't bashing the Phillies.

SteveK your justification is hypocritical. Enjoy the ride. Your team steals as much as the next team.

Your starting pitching staff?

Steve >>

Well Steve...you know the story...the New York Yankees started it, and the New York Mets along with teams such as the Boston Red Sox exacerbated it, and the Phillies had to respond or be perennial also rans.

Fortunately the Phillies did eventually respond, however not just by throwing money at any mercenary player, but by signing motivated players, hungry players, team players who wanted to win championships, not just collect a paycheck like too many of the Mets players.

Steve FYI...there's a very long waiting list, but I have some pull at the Phillies fan club if you wish to join...I can get you in and then you can root for the best team in MLB, instead of rooting for one of the worst run teams in MLB. image
  • Options
    Ryan Howard's glove showed up again this afternoon. Dropped a fly ball in the 10th. 2 minutes later that same batter knocked in the game winning run. Doh!

• Options
    This is going to turn into a hatefest on Howard.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no Philly fan, but 18/71 with an OBP of .350 at the break ain't too shabby..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.