Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Sac Dollar Registry Set Exclusion Inconsistancy

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
I came across a seller on ebay who was offering the 2011 Sac certified by PCGS as a Weak Edge Error, Position A. He listed it as a Pop 1/0, which I take it to mean that it is the highest grade for the variety with a population of only 1.

The seller provided a link to the PCGS Registry Listings for Sacagawea Dollars, and I couldn't help noticing that the Registry Set includes the A & B Position variations, along with all of the weak edge error permutations for each A & B position, both regular and satin finish, and each mintmark as well.

Considering all of the permutations, there are no less than 15 different 2009 Sacs, and 14 different 2010 Sacs included in the Registry Set.

The Registry Set includes the 2009 Missing Edge Lettering Error, and the label on the PCGS slabs I see on ebay all denote these coins as edge error coins. The same situation applies to all of the 2009, 2010 and 2011 Weak Edge Lettering Error Sacs I see listed on ebay with PCGS labels - they are listed as edge error coins as well, including the 2011 coin that caught my attention.

Earlier this year, I noted that PCGS made it a new policy to consider the Missing Edge Lettering Sacs as error coins, which precluded them from being included in the Registry Set listings. I note that there are both satin finish and regular finish versions of the 2010 Missing Edge Lettering Sacs, and that they are noted as error coins - but that they are NOT included in the Registry Set.

PCGS, why the inconsistancy? I would assert that the Weak Edge errors are not of the same significance as the Missing Edge errors. I would also assert that if the 2009 MELs are included, can anyone please explain the significant difference between the 2009s and the 2010s that results in the 2009 MELs being included and the 2010 MELs being excluded? All of the MELs are mint errors, to be sure - and they are full blown errors of omission due to both an error in the machine setup and a lack of inspection control by the Mint - rather than a simple mechanical collar slippage mechanical malfunction.

Both the regular and satin finish 2010 Missing Edge Lettering Sacs should either be included in the Registry Set, or the 2009 Missing Edge Lettering Sacs and all of the Weak Edge errors should be removed as well. Selective inclusion or exclusion on the basis of arbitrary criteria only discredits the whole program. I think that PCGS should review their criteria for the MEL Sac Dollars to make the criteria more internally consistant. That's just my very biased opinion. Thanks for your time.
Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would think that the missing edge lettering coins would make the list for inclusion before the weak edge coins... weird.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had no idea they were listing weak edge letter coins. To the best of my knowledge, they are simple late die states of the edge lettering dies. IMHO, big fat hairy whoop! They have absolutely no business being included in a registry set.

I do believe that the Missing Edge Letter and Doubled Edge Letter coins are significant errors, but even here I can see omitting them from registry sets. They are mechanical production errors, not significant die varieties.

As to A or B edge lettering positions, WHO CARES??????? They are lettered at random.

MOO

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    PCGS has someone making up LOTS of PCGS numbers and in many cases there are none graded. IF there is a Weak edge, Partial Edge or a Missing Edge that is NOT listed. Just let the registry dept know. They will update the sets accordingly. The Pres Dollars have the same issues.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a "Complete" set they should all be included.

JMHO