Home U.S. Coin Forum

What game would you play with these 3 Peace Dollars? ** Regrade Results In **

BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
I Just got the regrade results, new grades posted below.

I accidentally dropped a holdered 1927 Peace Dollar that I was photographing to sell. When it fell a huge corner broke off from the bottom of the holder. The flexible insert is exposed, but the break isn't large enough to allow the coin to be removed. The coin is fine, but nobody is going to buy it as-is. I suppose the solution here is to have it reholdered prior to sale, which means a PCGS submission.

While I'm at it, I'm considering having them regrade these three from my mint/date set:

They're each currently graded MS63. The 1927-D is in an old rattler. The dealer I got it from recently bought it back from a collector who had held on to it for +/- 20 years. It has a few small rim hits but is otherwise pretty clean. The 1935-S is in an OGH and has the champagne yellow toning that you see in the photos.

The 1928 is visually fantastic - so good, in fact that I'm really wondering why it's wearing a 63 holder. Appearance-wise, it's the equal of many of my 65s. Is it a market-graded 58? I don't see any wear, but I'm not looking thru a 20x loupe either. There are a few light scratches to the obverse left field and over Liberty's cheek/jaw. The reverse is fantastic. The strike is a bit soft, but not terrible. To me it looks 64+/65. Am I missing something here? Any potential with these three? The potential value gain isn't tremendous, but it's not bad either. Are they still in their old holders for a reason?

I don't mind being wrong, but I'd hate to have them crack the rattler and OGH for no reason. The 35-S I'll be selling soon anyway as I have an upgrade coming. How is the risk/benefit ratio with cracking vs. re-grade? I could just submit all four for re-grade and save some $$ by combining them in one submission.

Whaddya think?

Comments

• crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    28= mushy strike + chatter on main focal point the cheek= ms63

the 27d is a very nice coin, well all 3 are but the 27d is very nice
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Bryce,I would just sell them all the way they are, I honestly dont think it matters that much about the cracked holder. Dont spend the time or $$, unless there is a large price bump.Your photos are good enough that people will buy the coin anyway.

BTW, I dropped my Pan-Pac 50.00, PCGS AU-58, in an older holder. It snapped off the entire top straight across where the insert is. It fits perfectly onto the other piece, going to leave it to whoever buys it to decide to secure plus or whatever. Wonder if CAC would still green bean it? Good luck with them, love the lemon yellow----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 27-D and the 28 are staying with me. Only the 35-S is off to greener pastures. I'm just wondering if any/all of them deserve another trip to California........
    bump.

any other ideas?
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would send them in. From the photos, the 28 looks like a 3 but the other two look like solid 4s. I don't think I would just crack out and send in raw though.

Tom

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭
    All are 63s, no upgrade candidates IMO. The rattler usually gets a premium anyways.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>bump.

any other ideas? >>

I would play that 3-coin table hockey game that we used to play during lunch at school! image

JH
  • 09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    My first though was 63/63/64 but the toning on the 35 might keep it at a 63.
  • I would play the give-Away game LOL

Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
    Thanks for all the comments.

With respect to the 28-P, I think the reason I like it so much is the tremendous luster that it has. Maybe that's keeping me from seeing the soft strike (for a P issue), and the small hits. In-hand the small strikes around the cheek and field in front of Liberty are pretty minor. The first photos are taken at the only angle that accentuates them. The eye appeal of this coin to me is spectacular (even compared to some 65s and 66s), but that's pretty subjective, I know. It also maybe doesn't translate well in a photo. Maybe I just like shiny things.

Just for fun, I took some other views. It's funny what a slightly different angle and a little smaller photo can do:

BTW, here is the one I dropped. Would YOU buy it like that?

This is an old thread but I just got the regrade results today.

Overall, I'm very pleased - first because I made enough to cover the grading fees, but more importantly it gives me confidence in my fledgling grading abilities.

1927-D Peace MS63 --> MS63+
    1928-P Peace MS63 --> MS63
    1935-S Peace MS63 --> MS64
    1927-P Peace MS64 --> MS64 (the one with the broken holder)

For the record, I sent in three others that regraded at the same level. Mostly these were coins I wanted reholdered, but I thought there was at least a little chance of a bump. Not this time.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on your regrades. It's (almost) always good when PCGS sees your coins in the same light as you do, and certainly reassuring in this case. image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file