Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mexican coin 1811

Came across a nice find in the collection today, its a Mexican coin dated 1811. This is some of what my father wrote about it "1811 L.V.O Mexican Empire Ch. A.U." There was a couple more things he had written down but I cant recall what they were. So if anyone with South American coin knowledge can give me their opinion on the value of this coin please do..

Comments

• Options
    OchoRealesOchoReales Posts: 1,500
    Pictures?
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you have an early Zacatecas piece and it should look like this:

I'm interested in buying if it's authentic and your father was good at grading image Pictures would determine that.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Choice AU is a great grade for any of the LVOs. Nice find indeed.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Choice AU is a great grade for any of the LVOs. Nice find indeed. >>

It is, if it's authentic. The 2 coins he posted previously from his dad's collection were counterfeits.
  • Options

<< <i>

It is, if it's authentic. The 2 coins he posted previously from his dad's collection were counterfeits. >>

And those coins were in simple plastic and found mixed in with hundreds of other coins, the coin I'm talking about now is in one of the few cases he put all his good stuff in, and is packaged accordingly.. For example, i just randomly pulled out a coin from the same box and its a 1926 Sesquicent.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It is, if it's authentic. The 2 coins he posted previously from his dad's collection were counterfeits. >>

And those coins were in simple plastic and found mixed in with hundreds of other coins, the coin I'm talking about now is in one of the few cases he put all his good stuff in, and is packaged accordingly.. For example, i just randomly pulled out a coin from the same box and its a 1926 Sesquicent. >>

Don't get me wrong, I really do hope it's authentic, properly attributed, and you're looking to sell it. Looking forward to the pics.
  • Options
    Here's one not so good picture

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the denomination (or size) of the coin?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    www.numismaster.com

Or, the Standard Catalog of World Coins (www.amazon.com or www.ebay.com or your local library)

Also, you might want to go out to eBay (www.ebay.com) and check out active and completed listings for this coin, if any.

If you want to sell it, the BST here gets pretty good results, or there are any number of other options.

(Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.)

• Options

<< <i>What's the denomination (or size) of the coin? >>

Its a 2 Reales
  • Options
    questor54questor54 Posts: 1,351

<< <i>

<< <i>

And those coins were in simple plastic and found mixed in with hundreds of other coins, the coin I'm talking about now is in one of the few cases he put all his good stuff in, and is packaged accordingly.. For example, i just randomly pulled out a coin from the same box and its a 1926 Sesquicent. >>

That's good to know, but nothing says that your dad or the dealer who sold it to him would be able to tell a counterfeit from a genuine one of these.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

That's good to know, but nothing says that your dad or the dealer who sold it to him would be able to tell a counterfeit from a genuine one of these. >>

image So what's your point? Can you tell if it is?