Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Registry Sets are closed for 2011...

In the future, what if PCGS gave bonuses for photos and public view? If each photo got 2 bonus points and public view got another 2 bonus points; maybe the Registry of the future would be more of a true Registry and less a game?
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the thinking...anything to encourage people to publish photos!
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    I believe there are often valid reasons for a set to be private albeit a bummer for those that would like to see the details.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I believe there are often valid reasons for a set to be private albeit a bummer for those that would like to see the details. >>

I agree... private is private... why list your coins in a Registry to keep them private?

There are currently 5 scenarios...

1. Public View with photos (IMO, what all sets should include to be part of the Registry)... this is optimal; I can see the grades AND the coin (we are coin collectors; aren't we?).

2. Public View w/o photos (This should be a transitional phase... doesn't everyone (except RickO) have a camera, cell phone, etc.?).

3. Private (Who knows if they have any photos? If you don't want to share, due to some trauma in grade school, then don't share! Why would you list a set you want to keep private? Does not compute!).

4. Retired (Not Public View... No photos... DELETE)

5. Historic (This one makes the least sense... coins that were never entombed in plastic competing against coins that HAVE to be in plastic... HUH?).
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I believe there are often valid reasons for a set to be private albeit a bummer for those that would like to see the details. >>

I agree... private is private... why list your coins in a Registry to keep them private?

There are currently 5 scenarios...

1. Public View with photos (IMO, what all sets should include to be part of the Registry)... this is optimal; I can see the grades AND the coin (we are coin collectors; aren't we?).

2. Public View w/o photos (This should be a transitional phase... doesn't everyone (except RickO) have a camera, cell phone, etc.?).

3. Private (Who knows if they have any photos? If you don't want to share, due to some trauma in grade school, then don't share! Why would you list a set you want to keep private? Does not compute!).

4. Retired (Not Public View... No photos... DELETE)

5. Historic (This one makes the least sense... coins that were never entombed in plastic competing against coins that HAVE to be in plastic... HUH?). >>

Good points above.

Regarding the private issue, well on the currency side of the registry I had a couple of my sets public, and then as I was competing for top place, I had switched them to private. Reason? It is a very small world and either notes I was interested in, or were being offered to me seemed to have all of a sudden jumped up 200% in price!
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In the future, what if PCGS gave bonuses for photos and public view? If each photo got 2 bonus points and public view got another 2 bonus points; maybe the Registry of the future would be more of a true Registry and less a game? >>

As someone who is both a terrible photographer, as well as a disabled individual, providing photos is very difficult for me. However, my entire silver classic commem 50 coin typeset is in Secure Plus holders. Through the generosity of PCGS, I was able to cut and paste the photos that are available when the cert numbers for my collection are entered. However, to be fair to PCGS and myself, these are not the high quality photos that one gets when a professional or someone using the paid PCGS photo service is able to provide. Hence, most of my set really does not show the extent of the toning, etc. that, IMHO, separates it from the rest.

OTOH, I did make the effort and each coin has a very detailed description/explanation as to what makes it a great coin. I've tried to provide as much as I could, within the abilities of both my health and finances.

My wish for "bonus points," though would be for typesets such as the classic silver commems to award points to coins based on their conditional rarities as they are in the full 144 piece Registry Set. In the typeset collection an MS 66 or above Grant gets more weighting than my MS 65 Grant with Star, for example (which would get the maximum 9) and would beat an MS67 "plain Grant," if that weighting were permitted. Same with my 2x4, 2x2 and the other key dates/mint marks I have in my collection.

I'd probably go from 12th place to near the top 5. I'd also like to see bonus points for each coin that is in a Secure Plus holder. I will immediately, "own up" to a personal bias there as my set is, I believe, the only Registry Set where every coin is in Secure Plus. image
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In the future, what if PCGS gave bonuses for photos and public view? If each photo got 2 bonus points and public view got another 2 bonus points; maybe the Registry of the future would be more of a true Registry and less a game? >>

Like MINE, for example?
  • Options

<< <i>

Like MINE, for example? >>

This set is the entire package... Public View, Photos, Comments, etc. This is what ALL Registry Sets should include... what benefit does a Private set provide to anyone?
  • Options

<< <i>

As someone who is both a terrible photographer, as well as a disabled individual, providing photos is very difficult for me. However, my entire silver classic commem 50 coin typeset is in Secure Plus holders. Through the generosity of PCGS, I was able to cut and paste the photos that are available when the cert numbers for my collection are entered. However, to be fair to PCGS and myself, these are not the high quality photos that one gets when a professional or someone using the paid PCGS photo service is able to provide. Hence, most of my set really does not show the extent of the toning, etc. that, IMHO, separates it from the rest.

OTOH, I did make the effort and each coin has a very detailed description/explanation as to what makes it a great coin. I've tried to provide as much as I could, within the abilities of both my health and finances.

My wish for "bonus points," though would be for typesets such as the classic silver commems to award points to coins based on their conditional rarities as they are in the full 144 piece Registry Set. In the typeset collection an MS 66 or above Grant gets more weighting than my MS 65 Grant with Star, for example (which would get the maximum 9) and would beat an MS67 "plain Grant," if that weighting were permitted. Same with my 2x4, 2x2 and the other key dates/mint marks I have in my collection.

I'd probably go from 12th place to near the top 5. I'd also like to see bonus points for each coin that is in a Secure Plus holder. I will immediately, "own up" to a personal bias there as my set is, I believe, the only Registry Set where every coin is in Secure Plus. image >>

Your sets provide a value add to you, your heirs, PCGS and anyone that views your sets... what is the value add of a Private set?

From one of your sets...

"About this set: This is my numismatic pride and joy! The entire set is in Secure Plus holders thereby making it the only Classic Silver Commemorative Registry Set to be able to make that claim! I have been collecting these my entire life, over 50 years ago when I got my first Albany from my dad, as one of our ancestors is on the coin. Although the typeset is complete; it is not, and never will be, completed. Additionally, none of these coins, to the best of my and PCGS knowledge, have ever appeared in an auction! All have their original skins and many came from rattlers or from raw coins that I bought decades ago as a teenager. I have held the large majority of them *that* long. These are monster toners and Secure Plus leaves no room for their doubt or grades. This is my life's hobby work in progress. I am always on the hunt for better coins that are truly upgrades, not just higher numbers. The vast majority of my collection are very nicely, if not "wow" toned coins. About half I have purchased with the help of some of the country's best, and nicest, dealers. These include, but are not limited to: Jon Rosenthal and Warren Mills of RCNH, Larry Shepherd, Mike Printz, and my own eyes. My typeset collection is also unique in that I go for as many condition rarities as possible. Hence, it may not rank as high as it would if the PCGS typeset scores were weighted in the same way as a complete classic silver commemorative set is. Please keep this in mind as my typeset collection does include the: 2x2, 2x4, Grant with Star, 35/34 Boone, other rare dates that are not usually in a type collection, etc. Finally, the ones that are Secure Plus "+" coins are, in most cases like the Antietam, pop 1 coins! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I look forward to always improving it throughout my life. Special thanks to PCGS for the pictures that they took of my coins and which I've linked from their Certification Service. As I am permanently disabled, finances are what they are and as I can save up, eventually, I intend to use their outstanding photography service to do ultimate justice to the wonderfully toned coins that make up my collection."
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kind of like the thought of a thousand or so bonus points. Half Dollars images in progress.
  • Options

<< <i>I kind of like the thought of a thousand or so bonus points. Half Dollars images in progress.
    image >>

A 1,000 points... really Syl? image

P.S. I thought for a minute you might have a coin that Larissa needed for her set! image
  • Options
    Actually if I could ever finish that set it would be more there are 508 required coins in it.
  • Options

<< <i>Actually if I could ever finish that set it would be more there are 508 required coins in it.
    image >>

Ohhhhh... I get it, your total would be 1,000 +/- points, you're not asking for 1,000 points each! image
  • Options
    JMWJMW Posts: 497
    This is my first year of eligibility, adding images is fun but it is very time consuming. If you use a third party it can also be very expensive, which may not be practical for certain coins or a particular set. My images still need work and will ultimately be upgraded, hopefully by me. The goal for 2012 will be to add a narrative for each of the coins in the collection.

I've enjoyed the process, and hopefully others enjoy the effort.
  • Options
    OchoRealesOchoReales Posts: 1,500
    My Jerusalem Collection under Palestine Mandate is up for all to see, complete with TruVeiw images. Feel free to look and comment! image
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options

<< <i>This is my first year of eligibility, adding images is fun but it is very time consuming. If you use a third party it can also be very expensive, which may not be practical for certain coins or a particular set. My images still need work and will ultimately be upgraded, hopefully by me. The goal for 2012 will be to add a narrative for each of the coins in the collection.

I've enjoyed the process, and hopefully others enjoy the effort. >>

A lot of the process can be streamlined (at least in the interim)... most coins that are purchased online already have a photo, just copy or save in photobucket and post in the Registry.
  • Options

<< <i>My Jerusalem Collection under Palestine Mandate is up for all to see, complete with TruVeiw images. Feel free to look and comment! image >>

Feel free to post a link... image
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i thoroughly enjoy it when others would attempt to dictate the parameters of how i collect!!! image just one more reason why this place has sunk in terms of enjoyment.
  • Options
    i thoroughly enjoy it when others would attempt to dictate the parameters of how i collect!!! just one more reason why this place has sunk in terms of enjoyment.

Still rebelling from your time in the Navy? image

• Options
    CalebCaleb Posts: 739

<< <i>what benefit does a Private set provide to anyone? >>

Several image

I'm happy with the current rules image
  • Options

<< <i>

Sereral image

I'm happy with the current rules image >>

Great debate! image
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see why some folks would choose to keep their sets private, especially when building the set so that folks don't hold those last few tough coins hostage. But I'm one of those who doesn't think a private set should be eligible for Registry Awards. I understand photos can be tough for many. I remember the first coin photos I attempted and I would never post those on my sets. But the list of what you have should at least be open if you want to get an award. What does PCGS say when one of those sets qualifies for the big Hall of Fame award... wow, so and so has a great set and just trust us, it has some great coins in it??? image

I pretty much use the Registry as a place to upload photos of my coins so that I can check out my sets when my coins are locked away at the bank. It's also really great to be able to share my set with not only my family and friends, but to be able to share my set with anyone in the world who has internet access. I've also been fortunate enough to have my set recognized by PCGS and have been given a Best of the Registry award. I know I wouldn't have felt right receiving such awards if my sets were private.

• Options
    CalebCaleb Posts: 739

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sereral image

I'm happy with the current rules image >>

Great debate! image >>

I thought so! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'd probably go from 12th place to near the top 5. I'd also like to see bonus points for each coin that is in a Secure Plus holder. I will immediately, "own up" to a personal bias there as my set is, I believe, the only Registry Set where every coin is in Secure Plus. image >>

Your sets provide a value add to you, your heirs, PCGS and anyone that views your sets... what is the value add of a Private set?

None that I can see, except for absolute personal pleasure.

From one of your sets...

"About this set: This is my numismatic pride and joy! The entire set is in Secure Plus holders thereby making it the only Classic Silver Commemorative Registry Set to be able to make that claim! I have been collecting these my entire life, over 50 years ago when I got my first Albany from my dad, as one of our ancestors is on the coin. Although the typeset is complete; it is not, and never will be, completed. Additionally, none of these coins, to the best of my and PCGS knowledge, have ever appeared in an auction! All have their original skins and many came from rattlers or from raw coins that I bought decades ago as a teenager. I have held the large majority of them *that* long. These are monster toners and Secure Plus leaves no room for their doubt or grades. This is my life's hobby work in progress. I am always on the hunt for better coins that are truly upgrades, not just higher numbers. The vast majority of my collection are very nicely, if not "wow" toned coins. About half I have purchased with the help of some of the country's best, and nicest, dealers. These include, but are not limited to: Jon Rosenthal and Warren Mills of RCNH, Larry Shepherd, Mike Printz, and my own eyes. My typeset collection is also unique in that I go for as many condition rarities as possible. Hence, it may not rank as high as it would if the PCGS typeset scores were weighted in the same way as a complete classic silver commemorative set is. Please keep this in mind as my typeset collection does include the: 2x2, 2x4, Grant with Star, 35/34 Boone, other rare dates that are not usually in a type collection, etc. Finally, the ones that are Secure Plus "+" coins are, in most cases like the Antietam, pop 1 coins! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I look forward to always improving it throughout my life. Special thanks to PCGS for the pictures that they took of my coins and which I've linked from their Certification Service. As I am permanently disabled, finances are what they are and as I can save up, eventually, I intend to use their outstanding photography service to do ultimate justice to the wonderfully toned coins that make up my collection." >>

TextText

I don't understand what point you are trying to make in quoting my set's description? It's public, has pictures and describes each coin in great detail.TextTextText
  • Options

<< <i>I don't understand what point you are trying to make in quoting my set's description? It's public, has pictures and describes each coin in great detail. >>

That was my point... your set has great comments, images and it's public! image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

Huh? image

I don't think that makes any sense at all since the names of the folks listed with the big dollar sets are already known. Those folks that want anonymity already have the emails and any associative names pointing at some obscure email or set title anyway. I mean, its not like you can click on a set and tell who it actually belongs to other than "who in the heck is 19Lyds"?

(BTW, who owns the "Presidential Collection" of "Early Dollars Basic Set" other than jay17quin? Does that name mean anything?) (And who the heck is "The Buck Stops Here Presidential Dollars With Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes" ) I mean, some of these are really,really obscure and unless you are participating in a particular registry, you'd never know who these folks are.)

Of course, a LOT of these folks keep their sets hidden in an attempt to control the competition because winning that recognition from PCGS is way more important than showing the actual collection! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My Jerusalem Collection under Palestine Mandate is up for all to see, complete with TruVeiw images. Feel free to look and comment! image >>

Feel free to post a link... image >>

Best I can do...

http://www.pcgs.com/SETREGISTRY/alltimeset.aspx?s=87346

Thanks for looking!

Gary
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Feel free to post a link... image >>

Best I can do...

http://www.pcgs.com/SETREGISTRY/alltimeset.aspx?s=87346

Thanks for looking! >>

Nice Set! I love how PCGS graded all the copper wrong! image
  • Options
    Never mind I should of read Larry's post better.
  • Options
    Nice Set! I love how PCGS graded all the copper wrong! image >>

Too bad I did not get the 7 updated photos/coins to PCGS in time for the deadline. It might be what was needed to push the set to win a category (along with the four mislabeled dates).Oh well, there's always next year! image

Gary
  • Options

<< <i>Nice Set! I love how PCGS graded all the copper wrong! image >>

Too bad I did not get the 7 updated photos/coins to PCGS in time for the deadline. It might be what was needed to push the set to win a category (along with the four mislabeled dates).Oh well, there's always next year! image >>

You're over 90%... that's all you need; correct?
  • Options
    Not exactly sure. I know that there's a Best of World category and Best New World but it's up to the judges to decide.

Gary
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I see why some folks would choose to keep their sets private, especially when building the set so that folks don't hold those last few tough coins hostage. But I'm one of those who doesn't think a private set should be eligible for Registry Awards. I understand photos can be tough for many. I remember the first coin photos I attempted and I would never post those on my sets. But the list of what you have should at least be open if you want to get an award. What does PCGS say when one of those sets qualifies for the big Hall of Fame award... wow, so and so has a great set and just trust us, it has some great coins in it??? image

I pretty much use the Registry as a place to upload photos of my coins so that I can check out my sets when my coins are locked away at the bank. It's also really great to be able to share my set with not only my family and friends, but to be able to share my set with anyone in the world who has internet access. I've also been fortunate enough to have my set recognized by PCGS and have been given a Best of the Registry award. I know I wouldn't have felt right receiving such awards if my sets were private. >>

Well said Mike !!! image

I for one love to showcase my sets for all to see. This shows the hard work & dedication to put these sets together. As far as pics... That should always be considered an option, since photos can be difficult to capture the full details & true appearance of a coin. Photographic equipment, and photography has nothing to do with coin collecting to begin with... Editing is not all that easy either, that requires special programs, and skills as well. That kind of work should be optional, and up to the collector.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't understand what point you are trying to make in quoting my set's description? It's public, has pictures and describes each coin in great detail. >>

That was my point... your set has great comments, images and it's public! image >>

My apologies and my gratitude. image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whining about "others dictating how you collect", particularly regarding the registry, is funny.....the registry itself is ALL ABOUT dictacting how you collect (to be in the registry).

Collect however/whatever you want. It isn't a new thing for posts on this forum to try to encourage changes to support how they feel a collection should be. Folks ask for coins to be added, for coins to be removed, for points for certain coins to be calculated differently, etc etc etc.

Nothing to spend time complaining about.

As for having photos and a public view, I understand some folks' concerns about not being able to do photos....that's valid. However, one needs to "play the game" and if PCGS ends up putting a value on pictures and a public view, then that's the cost for wanting to play within their registry sets. Doesn't dictate how I collect (well, it does for a few things, if I want to play the registry game), so it is what it is. I'm a grown man and I ain't gonna get uptight thinking someone is trying to tell me how to change how I collect. Take, for example, the 2008/2007 SAEs. I chose not to purchase one. Not for my personal SAE collection, not for PCGS registry.

Now, for those that take the time/effort to open their sets, and to put any pictures/descriptions in there, no matter how good/bad, why not put some value to that? I love looking at some others' sets. Cool coins.
    I don't have photos for every single coin in every single registry set I have, but for the ones I do, I took effort and I wouldn't mind if others enjoy them or if I get a bonus in the sets for it.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I for one love to showcase my sets for all to see. This shows the hard work & dedication to put these sets together. As far as pics... That should always be considered an option, since photos can be difficult to capture the full details & true appearance of a coin. Photographic equipment, and photography has nothing to do with coin collecting to begin with... Editing is not all that easy either, that requires special programs, and skills as well. That kind of work should be optional, and up to the collector. >>

I agree that a nicely displayed set, with pictures and descriptions can be enjoyable to view, as well as being educational, and I try to do that to the extent possible, such as with the Large Cent Type Set, which is only a set of 7 coins, but includes 38 photos and nearly 4000 words of text, and the Large Cent Date Set, which consists of 67 coins, but over 100 photos and thousands of words so far (and still not 100% done).

That being said, it is a considerable undertaking to create and edit all those images and then come up with the text descriptions, and so I can understand how some collectors might shy away from that task. I also understand the rationale for keeping a registry set private. If you're building a set and EVERYONE knows what you need to complete your set (or to upgrade it), prices seems to suddenly go up, and not by just a little. For that reason, the Cardinal Collection large cent set was primarily assembled with the set remaining private, until it was 100% complete by date and then opened for viewing.
  • Options
    psxchellypsxchelly Posts: 568 ✭✭
    Having a set public or private has little or nothing to do with the actual coins that are in the set. Adding points to sets for that reason alone belittles the coins that are in the set and belittles the Set Registry. How would you like it if you made a pop one Lincoln worth thousands, but some schmuck beat you because the photos of his lesser coins were better than yours which gave him more points?

Adding a bonus to a set that is "public" does not add anything to the set or the sets composition.... as a collector, you still have the same coins you started with whether they are pop 1 or pop 1,000

Keeping a set private prevents people from soliciting others. I was constantly bombarded by people who troll this place for sales.... and from people who constantly wanted to buy my coins. Obviously I am collecting because I want to keep them.

Keeping my set private prevents others from knowing what coins I have. Pry proof safe or not, safety deposit box or not, its none of anyone business if I own a $150,000 MS68 DMPL Morgan or not.

I don't need to make my set public, because I am not trying to prove anything to anyone... I participate because I want to for myself, and not to show off to some person who happens to see my set and gets coin envy. I don't care for the "I have this and you don't" mentality. My husband and I collect because its something we do together... not to impress others. As a matter -o fact, no one we know in r/l knows we collect coins.

Forcing people to make a set public kinda reminds me of the 'ol saying about the male anatomy.. "Lets get the measuring stick out, because mine is bigger than yours."

If you have an urge to make your own set public, make it public. Mine is private because I am private and its none of anyone's business if I have a pop 1 or a pop 1,000 in my set. The only thing that matters is that my reg number is valid and it fits in the set.

**Trust me on this, if there were any question AT ALL about the composition of anyone's set who is either a registry winner or just participant, BJ would call or email the set owner and ask for photographic proof that the coin is in possession of the person who registered the set.. I had to prove I owned a coin not too long ago.

I appreciate your wanting to see others sets.. and you think it wouldn't be a "game" as you called it, however the bottom line is that the privacy is there for a reason... and I am sure there are many more reasons than i listed.

-Michelle

Edited to add:
    BTW, keets your still my hero... /wink <smile>
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Michelle,

Nicely said.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    As far as I can tell I have three sets that made it this time around, and over the years I have a total of 10 little date thingies up to this point (three more this round for lucky 13).

Trust me if I was able to do it anyone can do a reasonable priced set and get a date thingies by their set..

My first set was a mint set, my second set was a mint set, my 100% complete set of variety mercury dimes was next followed by the set of Dos Peso Gold named for my Wife as Linda's Lil Gold Hoard, and lastly a set of PR70DCAM presidential dollars.

I will say Larry would beat me on the merc variety set if he publishes his set on the no band side, so I am really grateful that Larry hasn't listed his 92% complete set there.

No extra points for anything, no publishing of anything. The rules are just fine as far as I am concerned.

1931 mint set 2003, 2004, and 2005
    1931 mint set w/gold 2004, 2005, 2006

--these three should have made it this time around, too.
    Complete Mercury Dime Variety Set-No Bands 2009, and 2010
    Dos Peso 2010
    Presidential proof 2010

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Registry Set without images is just numbers on a slab. Oh boy, I'm excited. image
  • Options
    At a minimum, I think the most basic requirement for a set to be considered for winning should be that it be publicly listed and it should be made public...no later than a month before the deadline closes.

It's too easy to game the system, hide yourself, then show up in the last minutes with coins that give no one else a fair opportunity to compete against.

If you want to keep your collection private, that's your right and I respect that. However, you should forfeit your opportunity to compete through your refusal to share what you have, IMHO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file