Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Secure Plus question

raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, at Long Beach I submitted four raw early date large cents for grading. The assistant at the PCGS table suggested I take up their offer of "free" upgrade to secure plus, so I did.

Some good news, some bad news.

Two of the coins had been removed from their slabs by EAC collectors (I have the inserts):
1795 Lettered edge S-74 ex PCGS VF25 now PCGS XF40.
1803 small date small fraction ex PCGS VF35 now PCGS GENUINE

and two raw coins never slabbed but nice surfaces:
1802 : PCGS GENUINE
1797 gripped edge: PCGS F15.

Now, this is not the first time I have seen a discrepancy in graded vs genuine on early date large cents. Grading is a subjective art. My question, is now that the two coins receiving "genuine" are photographed in the PCGS database, have I penalized myself in regards to re-submitting them in hopes of acheiving a no problem slab grade? If so, I will not utilize the secure plus service again.

Line # Item # Cert # PCGS No. CoinDate Denomination Variety Country Grade
1 1 20532470 1377 1795 1C Lettered Edge US XF40BN
2 1 20532471 1416 1797 1C Rev of '95, Gripped Edge US F15BN
3 1 20532472 1470 1802 1C US Genuine (97 - Environmental Damage)
4 1 20532473 1485 1803 1C Small Date, Lg Frac US Genuine (94 - Altered Surface)

Comments

• Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭
    Why can't you crack them out and submit them under the regular service, not the secure plus service? I don't think they run the regular service submissions through all of the detector service. Not sure though, but worth finding out!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to DonWillis' post a few months back (sorry, I don't recall the exact thread/time), the answer is "no, you haven't prevented yourself from resubmitting".

If I recall, he said the coin would still be looked at for its merits and they would do the right thing, as they see it at the time of grading. So, if you resend it, and they feel it is gradeable, they will grade it, even if it was a GEN under Secure+ previously.

Don doesn't post a whole lot, so if you spend a little time doing a search under his posts (not his threads, but his posts in the threads) you will likely find it pretty quickly.

Good luck.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Must be nice to have a 3 point upgrade! image

Does the 1803 look like it has altered surfaces?

WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file