Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

After 44 years, I reached 20% of my three lifetimes goal of completing the entire California Fractio

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
I actually started this set in 1967 when I was 14 years old (44 YEARS AGO) as I bought a raw BG-913 1872 Octagonal 1/2 dollar which I later had it graded by PCGS as MS-63. I paid MORE for the grading fee with PCGS many years later than the $10 price I paid for the gold pocket piece. I was so scared that the government was going to confiscate it from me at the time! My BG-913 is now part of a separate grading set of all BG-913 since I bought a much higher graded one from David Cloyed almost 10 years ago.

I finally reached 20% completion rate! Only 442 to go!!! image

Actually, I reached it last year but was too lazy to add the additions to my registry set until now.

I will add some more additions. I wonder if I actually reached 25%?

As my eyesight diminishes, it gets harder and harder to see these little things!

Oreville's California Fractional Gold set for period 1 and period 2

I have been criticized by many coin collectors as being unfocused. Had I stayed with one set that I also enjoy which is the 1792-1964 complete type set, I probably would today be fighting High Desert for the big PCGS display showcase at the ANA show in Chicago!!

But I enjoy dabbling in too many different kinds of sets. Including sample slab sets where PLASTIC rule!

The best sets for me are the mini-type sets as I have a short attention span! At least I finished 5 California Fractional gold mini-type sets over the years. They are stunning sets. It only takes 6 California Fractional gold pocket pieces to complete each set. Nice!
A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a big set to put together! Wow.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    I never realized how many coins were in that set. Mostly because you can hardly SEE THEM much less keep up with them.

Great looking set! Don't cut yourself short, according to the completion percent you are 20.22% complete! image

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    That really is amazing. Sticking with that set for 44 years! Nearly as long as I've been alive LOL. Congrats!

Hey did you ever have a chance to see if you had an 1882 1/4 round Indian Cal * Gold token like the one I posted a few weeks ago? It's the one with the 4/2 in the fraction.
    GMan
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow thats great, very impressive. Congrats and good luck with future purchases!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no way I will ever complete this set.

No one has ever done it including Eliasberg.

Jay Roe came close.

Perhaps my great grandchildren (I don't even have grandchildren yet!) might be able to complete it?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing about this series.......the price of gold should not affect the price of these itty bitty little coins.image

20% in 44 years.....you are going to have to pick up the pace or turn the job over to your kids!image
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats and...
    ..."As my eyesight diminishes, it gets harder and harder to see these little things!"
    Hah, can I relate. I save manly Lincolns thinking, when I retire....
    Well, my eyes retired before me.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough series with many unique or semi-unique pieces. Most collectors are content with a type set in this series. Even 20% is quite an accomplishment.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding and congrats!
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, you were way ahead of your time to have such an advanced interest at 14. I was looking for old Lincoln cents and war nickels when I was 14.
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oreville - CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!

outstanding accomplishment. I feel light years behind at 12.64% !!
    Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file