Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Joe Namath (Rams) and other autographs (PICS ADDED)

I'm not into autographs, but I do have several in my basement. These are items I had signed in person as a child. One of the items is a color 8x10 photo of Joe Namath in a Rams uniform.

My grandmother took me to a Kmart 'grand opening' 30+ years ago because she needed some items. We saw Namath sitting at a table (no line). My grandmother asked me if I wanted to get his autograph. I said "sure". He signed the picture, "To Tom, Good luck pal, Joe Namath".

Any market for a Namath auto in a Rams uni? It's got to be more rare than a Jets uni autograph! image

I can post a pic of the autograph tonight after work....

Other autographs found in the same box in my storage room:
Two Al Kaline's
Heather Thomas (The Fall Guy)
Kenya Moore (Miss USA 1993 and local girl)
George Barris (maker of Batmobile)
Ron Guidry
The Toxic Avenger (ha ha)

All signed in person as a kid/adult

South of Heaven...North of Canada

Comments

• VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Personalized signatures are keepsakes. They lose a great deal of value when someone's name is on them. Keep them stored away and show your kids one day.
  • scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    I find it funny that there was no line to meet him. That must've been an ego blow, and at K-Mart nonetheless.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Yes, I remember thinking, 'He's a famous man, why aren't more people here?'

My grandma had no idea he was going to be there. I just happened to be with her along for the ride. He was never my idol. He was never someone I held in high regard. Heck, I was only about 8-10 years old at the time. I loved the NFL and the Steelers. The Jets, Rams and some guy named Namath were not even on my radar.

I will most likely keep the autographs. Actually, I'll probably keep all the ones I named above together. To me, the part that makes me smile the most is the wacky, all-over-the-map, randomness of the autographs I have.

Should I still post a picture of it later? Anyone care?
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Hey Tom,

Post away. It always great to look at what other people have. That's what makes this board so image!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    If you do decide to sell, assuming its an actual picture, the inscription could probably be removed easily.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • picture added to first post
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Tom,

That's a great picture. Did he put a image on there too?
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Yes, he did do the smiley face. Ha.

How about some Heather Thomas circa 1984 (approx)

• Cokin75Cokin75 Posts: 243 ✭✭
    I like the Namath picture especially because it looks like it was taken in Milwaukee County Stadium. That said, I still like the Heather Thomas picture better.
  • two Kaline autographs...

George Barris...

Not autographed, but I got one of the commerative Canvas giveaway pictures from last week when they retired Sparky Anderson's number 11...