Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This coin even Todd had trouble with.2 pics

imageimage
Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first looks over exposed. The second looks right but clearly some color is getting missed. Maybe there is an in-between? Tough one!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Keyman,You hit the nail on the head,its a beast in hand,but the pics will not do the eye appeal justice.image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only see one picture. Colorful brown proof copper is nasty to image. You need at least two pictures to give someone an idea of what the coin actually looks like. I'm guessing it looks like a "beast" when tilted one way and looks like a brown copper tilted another. The picture I see looks like a likely compromise between the "if you tilt it just right" view and the "brown" view.
  • Options
    John,The second pic is next to the first,and you will get a better idea that you are right on the money.Actuallly,look at Pinnacles picture,and that gives an idea of the in hand look best,when tilted.imageimageimage
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, but tell me how this is not an MS70 dipping result (or otherwise?)...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 757

<< <i>Nice, but tell me how this is not an MS70 dipping result (or otherwise?)... >>

it seams that on proof copper this color is ok.
    --- Mayer Numismatics --- Collectors Corner --- (888) 822 - COIN ---
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bestclser1, What's growing on the right arrow feathers next to the 4 in the date on the lower obverse image

Ha just scrolled over and saw the second pic... I like the full brown better! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ha just scrolled over and saw the second pic... I like the full brown better! image >>

OK, I just did the same. Silly scroll bar hiding on me. image Seeing the full brown helps a lot. I would think of it as the "main" picture in this case and the colored ones as "supplemental." The Pinnacle picture, while brightly colored, would have me thinking it was AT'ed by Blue Man Group. I like the look of the field/device contrast better than I like the look of the colors.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not really trouble IMO

it's just that the coin looks very different depending on how the light hits it (my guess)

does it?

so multiple pics are necessary to represent the coin accurately
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Todd did a great job as always. I really like the look of this piece and both images....image I just looked at the pinnacle images, is it really that blue? I've bought a few coins from this outfit and they're 1st class all the way!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Pinnacle picture, while brightly colored, would have me thinking it was AT'ed by Blue Man Group. >>

Great folks and I'll buy off them at a show, but have completely stopped looking at their site.

To me their descriptions are worth more then their images as when the coins arrive based on the pics it's almost like a bad blind date.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i do hope its just the photography and not the true color of the coin pictured.
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

VERY TUFF coin to photograph indeed!

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The Pinnacle picture, while brightly colored, would have me thinking it was AT'ed by Blue Man Group. >>

Great folks and I'll buy off them at a show, but have completely stopped looking at their site.

To me their descriptions are worth more then their images as when the coins arrive based on the pics it's almost like a bad blind date. >>

Been buying from Pinnacle for years,they are a class act.image
  • Options
    Colorful proof copper is the toughest to image out of any type of coin. I have never seen the coin so I cant comment on the image however it appears that the coin does have something growing on it that resembles verdigris.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file