Home U.S. Coin Forum

Quarterly Member Specials, come vote in the Poll

I've noticed there seems to be a lot of frustration around the new quarterly specials, especially the one for July 1st. Thought I would throw a poll up to see if we can sway the special to something we all might enjoy. Lets be sure to list out some suggestions of ideas we all like so we can have some solutions should they decide to change the format.
"When I die I want to go peacefully in my sleep like grandpa did, not screaming like the rest of the people in his car."
--- Jack Handy

Positive BST transactions with members - Tander123, Twincam, UtahCoin, ianrussell

Comments

• deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    Dont bite the hand that feeds you? Ha Ha!

I think it's good enough. There's no reason they should change it. There have been some pretty awesome ones in the past year. They've been more than generous, in my eyes. Not mentioning, it seems like nobody here submits coins for grading imageimageimage
  • slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭

<< <i>Dont bite the hand that feeds you? Ha Ha!

I think it's good enough. There's no reason they should change it. There have been some pretty awesome ones in the past year. They've been more than generous, in my eyes. Not mentioning, it seems like nobody here submits coins for grading imageimageimage >>

I hear this often but I have done the math. There is almost no scenario where you come out ahead on the quarterly specials. The only one I could come up with is if you commonly submit one coin at a time for grading and don't really care what coin that is.
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    If they offered 1 Free grading (regardless of # of coins submitted), $20, $25, $30, etc., off your total or Free shipping; that would be a GREAT Quarterly Special! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Well at least everyone agrees on not using it image
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the share holders will like this poll.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not have posted this poll. It comes across as being unappreciative and petty to our hosts. Whether you like what is being offered or not, the bottom line is that it is FREE. Even if it isn't something that you can use, be gracious and grateful for the offer.
    When in doubt, don't.
    Feedback is always good...
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would not have posted this poll. It comes across as being unappreciative and petty to our hosts. Whether you like what is being offered or not, the bottom line is that it is FREE. Even if it isn't something that you can use, be gracious and grateful for the offer. >>

Some here look at the specials as an extra added gift from PCGS that we should all be thankful for, even if it's a gift we don't like.

Others here see the specials as an integral part of the memberships which they paid for and see no trouble expressing their dissatisfaction on a product that didn't live up to the expectations they may have had at the time of purchase.

Each year, when I make the decision to renew my membership I mostly see myself as buying the grading voucher and access to the population reports. But yeah, I also see myself as buying 4-5 additional quarterly gradings which I may be able to use.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Well, It is better then a punch in the nose.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

• << <i>I would not have posted this poll. It comes across as being unappreciative and petty to our hosts. Whether you like what is being offered or not, the bottom line is that it is FREE. Even if it isn't something that you can use, be gracious and grateful for the offer. >>

The point for the poll is to not be ungrateful and cause unrest but to give feedback that a good number of people are unhappy with the quarterly special. I fall in the camp that I took the quarterly special as a value add for the cost of my membership, 4 times in a membership period. I don't send in a lot of coins so the special was a less expensive way to grade coins I might not otherwise send in and helped me justify the cost of the membership.

I just want to see them make it a value add again. It seems from the results of this poll others would agree. I am grateful that they care enough about the customers to offer a discount, but when that discount is never for anything that helps me (or a majority), it is no longer a value add and negatively affects my satisfaction with the membership.

The first quarterly special with my membership was something like, send in a coin with a bird for a free secure plus grade. That was great, I sent in a flying eagle cent. I never would have paid for a secure plus on that coin. But with the quarterly special, it was great. One of my favorite submissions, not to mention is was fun. Also, it was easy to participate, I doubt there was anyone that wanted to participate who didn't have a coin with a bird on it.

I can't imagine that PCGS would view its services as the customer should feel special that they are even offered a freebie and if we are not grateful or don't like it, we can take a hike. I imagine they would rather offer something that is useful and positive for the majority so that we will continue to give them money in exchange for their goods and services.
    "When I die I want to go peacefully in my sleep like grandpa did, not screaming like the rest of the people in his car."
    --- Jack Handy

Positive BST transactions with members - Tander123, Twincam, UtahCoin, ianrussell

• << <i>Well at least everyone agrees on not using it image >>

• robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the voting is almost unanimous...
  • Don or HRH - Can you please respond and let us know why the change? The number of people who use this has to be way down.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭✭
    Before the change I really enjoyed the quarterly special because it opened my eyes to different coins every quarter. I got back into Canadian coins due to the one quarter that allowed any World coin for the special. It's been 6 months since I used a new special. I think the poll is very telling of CC members opinions on the new system. I hope someone pays attention to this matter.
  • DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    We changed the format because it was being used by a very small percentage of CC members.

I wonder how many here actually took advantage of the CC specials last year? There is a large silent majority.

In my opinion many of the old specials were kind of silly. I think the new specials offer value and appeal to a wider crowd. Plus we am trying to make each special something that a collector needs and would use vs. having a special for a coin with an animal on it or some such thing.

Not every special will be for everyone. We hope over the course of a year that there will be a couple that work for you.

Why not offer a free quarterly voucher for Platinum and Diamond members and free semi-annual vouchers for Gold members that can be used toward any submission?
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not every special will be for everyone. We hope over the course of a year that there will be a couple that work for you. >>

Whereas I don't collect everything, that's fair enough.
  • erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We changed the format because it was being used by a very small percentage of CC members.

I wonder how many here actually took advantage of the CC specials last year? There is a large silent majority.
    >>

I'm assuming based upon these two parts of your statement that you have some data on the percentage of PCGS members who used the quarterly special prior to the change in format, and can compare that to the % of PCGS members who have used it in the new format.

It would at least provide the people here with the data for the other side of the argument.

• << <i>We changed the format because it was being used by a very small percentage of CC members.

In my opinion many of the old specials were kind of silly. I think the new specials offer value and appeal to a wider crowd. Plus we am trying to make each special something that a collector needs and would use vs. having a special for a coin with an animal on it or some such thing.

Not every special will be for everyone. We hope over the course of a year that there will be a couple that work for you. >>

Thanks Don. I'm still bummed about the specials and think there is a better way to offer them but your responce is appreciated. I hope PCGS will reconsider in the future.
  • DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    I'm assuming based upon these two parts of your statement that you have some data on the percentage of PCGS members who used the quarterly special prior to the change in format, and can compare that to the % of PCGS members who have used it in the new format.

Of course we do, but I am not going to share that.

Thanks Don. I'm still bummed about the specials and think there is a better way to offer them

We will try real hard to make the next one appeal to more people. Having said that I believe the current special will appeal to a number of collectors.

Thanks for the input.

• deviousdevious Posts: 1,690

<< <i>I'm assuming based upon these two parts of your statement that you have some data on the percentage of PCGS members who used the quarterly special prior to the change in format, and can compare that to the % of PCGS members who have used it in the new format.

Thanks Don. I'm still bummed about the specials and think there is a better way to offer them

We will try real hard to make the next one appeal to more people. Having said that I believe the current special will appeal to a number of collectors.

Thanks for the input. >>

I agree. The pucks are a pretty big deal. And I think that your offerings are more than generous when it comes to the quarterly special. Heck, I think the $240+ dollars worth of grades for $200.00 (platinum) is more than enough to satisfy SOME of us. I've used two quarterly specials in the two years I've been a CC member. I will not be using this one, nor many more I am sure, but I don't think PCGS should devalue itself as a company by giving everything away for free that customers expect. Your quarterly specials are more than fair and despite how...perplexing it can be to understand some of them, I think that you know more than we do about what's going on in the market. Keep up the great work and thanks for all that you do for us!

Aaron
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but I cannot imagine where PCGS gets their ideas for the quarterly special. This new one looks to be from outer space. With specials like this one, there will be many many Collector's Club members that simply decide to forget about renewing membership. I am one of those members.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry, but I cannot imagine where PCGS gets their ideas for the quarterly special. This new one looks to be from outer space. With specials like this one, there will be many many Collector's Club members that simply decide to forget about renewing membership. I am one of those members. >>

Maybe they overbought the large slabs.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• roob47roob47 Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    I took advantage of more quarterly specials last year, i really appreciate don replying and look forward to the future of being a PCGS member.
  • HKstrongsideHKstrongside Posts: 288 ✭✭

<< <i>We will try real hard to make the next one appeal to more people. Having said that I believe the current special will appeal to a number of collectors.

Thanks for the input. >>

Don, thank you for the reply. We look forward to the next quarterly special, it sounds like it will be a good one.
    --- Jack Handy

• mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm assuming based upon these two parts of your statement that you have some data on the percentage of PCGS members who used the quarterly special prior to the change in format, and can compare that to the % of PCGS members who have used it in the new format.

Thanks for the input. >>

By now PCGS has had enough time to decide how successful this new quarterly special was. I am most anxious to see what they come up with for the Oct-Dec special.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my thing about the quarterly specials....

I have been a member for more than a few years. Due to the overall cost of return postage, even on a "cheapie" coin, I seldom find it worth it to send just 1 coin.
    Even when the special was "send 4, pay for 3", it didn't make sense at the time.

The minimum return cost is what really hinders things. I have often wanted to just send 1, or 2, coins, but since I don't deal with in the mega-rarities, and the more expensive coins I have are already in PCGS plastic, there is no incentive for me. If it cost <$10 to get the coin returned to me, I would probably be more likely to do it. Not trying to ask PCGS to operate at a loss, but on a coin I may want slabbed (toned, sentimental reasons, fun, whatever) that is "worth" less than $100, according to multiple guides. Some of them are nice, not valuable, but I would like to protect in a PCGS slab (I have self-slabs that I also use, but they are the size of the older, small, anacs slabs).

So, what I would like, and use, may not be beneficial to what PCGS really wants, but I do know that the times I did use the quarterly specials, I also sent in additional groups of coins in separate submissions, but in the same mailing to PCGS, that were full priced submissions. If I am already sending something in, I go out of my way to try to maximize the value by sending other items in, in the same package.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    By now PCGS has had enough time to decide how successful this new quarterly special was. I am most anxious to see what they come up with for the Oct-Dec special. >>

I haven't used the last few as they just didn't make sense for me (and apparently for many many others). Hopefully this next one goes back to the way it used to be, a free submission w/o having to pay for a specific number of others (no more & no less).

In case the decision hasn't been made, here are a few that I would love image

Submit any cherrypicker's variety (raw, regrade or crossover - regular or SecurePlus)
    Submit any commemorative coin (classic or modern - raw, regrade or crossover - regular or SecurePlus)
    Submit any coin designed by Barber (raw, regrade or crossover - regular or SecurePlus)
    Submit any coin with a depiction of Liberty (raw, regrade or crossover - regular or SecurePlus)

we'll see image Keeping my fingers crossed.
  • I used to send something on every quarterly special, now I use none. i like Illini's ideas.
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think since pcgs began the secure plus for economy submissions recently, it would be kool if there was a CC special on these... Something on the lines of submitting 3 coins, & getting the 4th one FREE. image
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think since pcgs began the secure plus for economy submissions recently, it would be kool if there was a CC special on these... Something on the lines of submitting 3 coins, & getting the 4th one FREE. image >>

Thought they did this a quarter or two back?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my only issue with it is that it should read:

submit 5 or more....

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • I sent in at least two Collectors Club Quarterly Specials last year, but none since the format has changed to require so many coins.

It's not so much that I dislike the specials, it's just that I can't scrape up enough coins to qualify. For example, I don't have any America the Beautiful coins to send in this quarter.

Other times, I might have one or two coins that meet the criteria (similar to what I did last year), but not three (or four or five). Thus, I couldn't play if I wanted to.

I do have several coins in non-PCGS slabs, so I could participate in a Crossover Special, as long as they only required two or three. Almost all of my coins are already in PCGS holders. A TrueView photo special might work for some of my PCGS coins.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are nice coins but cant see having a bunch of hockey pucks floating around
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    I don't own any hockey pucks and I don't intend to buy any in the future. So I couldn't use the special even if I wanted to. I just joined this summer so this was my first quarterly special. I too await to see what they come up with for the last quarter.

Cheers!

Kirk
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file