Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade the Errors - newp Seated and Off Metal Errors

jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
I just picked these up today and I am looking for your opinion on grade. NGC game me theirs, which I am not sure I totally agree with, but lets see what you have to say.

Yes I know they are crappy scans but the surfaces are all original so if nothing else just go on details. Thanks all!

Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Comments

• Options
    ttt for the morning - thanks all!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough from your scans as the off metal could be AU/BU, yet the Seated looks like a dipped out mid grade AU.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    I'd say 62 for the nickel and 53 for the dime. I might be new here, but I am a frequent poster on the LSCC boards. The seated dime is an exceptional find, not just because it's off center, but it has a die gouge above the shield. In the Seated dimes web-book, it's an R7, and the OC and high grade make it practically unique. Here's a link. Here.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd say 62 for the nickel and 53 for the dime. I might be new here, but I am a frequent poster on the LSCC boards. The seated dime is an exceptional find, not just because it's off center, but it has a die gouge above the shield. In the Seated dimes web-book, it's an R7, and the OC and high grade make it practically unique. Here's a link. Here. >>

Judging by the above post, and checking the link, that die gouge is prominent enough to see, even in your 'crappy scans', jmcu12. The 'new guy' might just be right, in regard to that being practically unique. That went from a real nice pick-up, to a great pick-up!!

And a big 'Welcome' to you, sms88! Thanks for adding valuable info to this great error.....stick around....we could use another member who can deliver helpful info like you did just now. I'm sure your info made the OP feel oodles better about his newp!!!
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options

<< <i>I just picked these up today and I am looking for your opinion on grade. NGC game me theirs, which I am not sure I totally agree with, but lets see what you have to say.

Yes I know they are crappy scans but the surfaces are all original so if nothing else just go on details. Thanks all!

image >>

Nickel on dime planchet: MS-64 or 65 (hard to tell from the dark obverse scan.)

Seated 10c off-center: AU-50 (dipped!)

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    Thanks all!

The off metal error is an ms63 and the off center is an au55.

I am not sure that the off center has been dipped - maybe - but ngc did not think so, or at least gifted the grade.

As for the die gouge - wow did not even see it! Very cool!

So ,sms88, what does rare mean in terms of population on this?

And thanks again!
  • Options
    And I realize it might be an R7 but I was wondering about the population in all grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file