Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade this 1893 O Morgan

Just picked this up tonight. Was hard to take a pic with the digital camera so I used the scanner instead. Just doesn't capture the luster. What do you think this would grade? I'm guessing high AU, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    more like ef..
    if that
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    It kind of looks AU-ish, but without seeing any luster, it is tough to say for certain. The details certainly look AU-ish. As long as the luster is all there, then I would say AU. Other than that, AU, cleaned.

• Options
    pwrful4pwrful4 Posts: 282 ✭✭
    Appreciate the grading, what makes you think it's been cleaned? I paid $500 for the coin, too much?
  • Options
    thats what my 2001 red book says it is in au50
  • Options
    vf 30 cleaned
    dont send sheep to kill a wolf...
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    pwrful, need a different pic, the scan does not show any luster, so impossible to judge as an AU grade, or to see if overdipped-------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    scanner shots aways look flat and zero luster shows.
    it may be `white` and all but the surface,however we read it, looks
    cleaned or buffed up if only a tad.
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XF45 maybe AU50

If you like it then you didn`t pay too much image
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    Looks cleaned, if it wasn't it would go AU50. Definitely a slider though. If it does grade they will ding you for a light cleaning and give you EF45.
  • Options
    RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077
    $500 is a lot of money if you're not very confident in your grading skills. image

This PCGS XF45 went for $489 w/BP on Teletrade last spring.

Teletrade XF45
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU50-53
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>vf 30 >>

I hardly think so.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the image does not help the cause for AU- based on the image, I don't think it will grade

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    cleaned -- genuine

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XF40 details, cleaned.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Cleaned XF/AU
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    need pics

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say XF45
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    XF details, cleaned.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cleaned xf

Tom

• Options
    Very harshly cleaned-- VF details
  • Options

<< <i>VF details >>

I hardly think so.

• Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    I withhold any opinion as to being cleaned, given the limitations of the imaging method and holder that it's in. If it is blast white it has obviously been dipped. There are definite signs of wear and plenty of nicks, marks and dings. Keeping in mind that the coin has a reflective mylar sheet covering it and the fact that it was scanned and not photographed…I’m with the XF45 to low AU crowd. Even in XF45, the PCGS price guide lists it at $650.

I too would like to see that coin reimaged, sans the cardboard/mylar holder, and not scanned.

Cheers!

Kirk
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin reminds me of an 1895-O Morgan that was posted years ago that set the stage for a spirited discussion- one that I can say was important but the long term impact on grading and originality just never seems to make center stage which is very frustrating-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file