Home Sports Talk

Best hockey fight ever

cadets68cadets68 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
The favorite manager moment topic inspired me to search youtube for a fight that I saw in Milwaukee 20 years ago.

It may not be "the best" fight. But I was there live and when Antoski went over the glass to the other penalty box the crowd went wild.

Watch the video till near the end. The "good" part starts at about 1:30 into the video.

Shawn Anotski vs Steve Martinson

Antoski was the 18th overall pick in the 1990 draft by the Vancouver Canucks

Here is his NHL rookie card.

After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

Josh Wilker - Cardboard Gods

Comments

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a whole lot of mullets...
  • lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a huge hockey fight fan, especially the contrived off-of-the-faceoff-fights, but these are my two of my favs which are total homer picks.
    Hawks Nucks partial line brawl The first dealing with the Hawks/Nucks rivalry where Alexandra Burrows has to resort to hairpulling on Duncan Keith who is a very unphysical player to begin with. Also for Ben Eager pummeling another faux-NHL toughguy in Bieksa complete with body slam. Notice Bieksa doesn't get one shot in except when Eager is sprawled out on the ice. The best hockey fights are always based on real hatred. 90's Wings/Avs for example. This wasn't anywhere close to that, but there was genuine hatred from both sides.

The second Scott vs Westgarth not just for the total one-sided beating Scott put on a pretty tough dude in Westgarth, but that here you have two generally useless hockey players though one of them is a Princeton grad, while the other has a Mechanical Engineering degree from MI. So you have goons, but pretty bright goons. If you look closely, you'll notice Scott trying to implore the refs to stop the fight about halfway in. Unfortunately this is one of those contrived Westgarth trying to give his team "a spark" type fights.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    This one gets my vote

You've got two-handers from the goalie, a guy in Dr. Frankenstein smock trying to direct the action, and a big bruiser in a blood stained shirt making throat-slitting gestures at the 2:10 mark. What's not to love?
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    The Troy Crowder/Bob Probert fights were always entertaining.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was awesome thanks for posting!
  • "Kocur BOMBS Jimmy Kite!"

Best.....Knockout....EVER! (Kite can't even stand and skate off the ice)

Kocur - Kite

The very best thing about Kocur was ALL he threw were haymakers. Full wind-up! Every punch. No stupid half-azz punches.
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Hockey fighting, cheap shots, and hits intended to injure are a sad part of hockey, and mostly done on the ice by our friends up north.

I can list you many Canadian boys who have led the league in cheap shots, fights, and blind side hits. Very few Americans and other
    foreigners have "graced" the sport with these antics. There have been a few Swedes, namely Ulf Samuelsson and Thomas Sandstrom, but nothing compares to the likes of the Canadian boys and their desire to make hockey a "tough mans game". Nothing wrong with clean hits in hockey, but the finger biting, stick swinging, sucker hits, and intent to injure has got to go. Even the occassional scrap has its place for some, but not for me.
  • FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everybody, I found Gary Bettman's alt! I would have thought it would have been something like "basketballlova" or "sunbelthockeyrulz".
  • CubsFan41CubsFan41 Posts: 513 ✭✭

Hockey is a team sport.

Grim Reaper
    Looking for Cello packs with Bill Buckner on top
  • lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭
    yeah I was thinking of posting that one, but it wasn't really a fight. The ironic part about Stu is he's a very religious guy. He's also now a lawyer in Memphis. His son (who also plays hockey) is also supposed to be a monster.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    This is one of the more memorable ones for me.....before there was Artest, there was O'Reilly.....fast forward to the 1:20 mark.

Link
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hockey fighting, cheap shots, and hits intended to injure are a sad part of hockey, and mostly done on the ice by our friends up north.

I can list you many Canadian boys who have led the league in cheap shots, fights, and blind side hits. Very few Americans and other
    foreigners have "graced" the sport with these antics. There have been a few Swedes, namely Ulf Samuelsson and Thomas Sandstrom, but nothing compares to the likes of the Canadian boys and their desire to make hockey a "tough mans game". Nothing wrong with clean hits in hockey, but the finger biting, stick swinging, sucker hits, and intent to injure has got to go. Even the occassional scrap has its place for some, but not for me. >>

Weak post and I am American.
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    "The Broad Street Bullies" versus anyone!