Home Sports Talk
Options

Favorite Manager Moment

mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
Whats your most memorable moment of a manager doing something?

For me, its when Bobby Valentine was ejected from a game and then showed up in the dugout wearing a fake moustache and dark sunglasses as he continued to manage the team. Classic..
Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

Comments

• Options
    Lock this thread because nothing will ever top that. I loved the pro shop t-shirt and hat.

• Options
    I certainly can't top that, but here's my favorite from games that I've been to.

Yankees @ Tigers
    Comerica Park May 31, 2006
    I was sitting just a bit off from the Yankee dugout.

Mike Mussina was in the 7th or 8th inning pitching a shutout for the Yanks. The Tigers finally scored a run (unearned on an Arod error), but were still 4 or 5 runs behind. Joe Torre starts to walk out to the mound. Mussina steps towards him points at Torre and then motions to the dugout and yells "get back in there!" Torre put his hand up, put his head down, spun around and walked back into the dugout. Mussina completed the game and the Yanks went on to beat the Tigers 6-1 completing the sweep (on a side note, the Tigers got their revenge that year in the ALDS).

I read later about the game that Torre really wasn't that upset about what Mussina had done.

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Here is the manager of my local team: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4DPRuEJUVM It's really worth watching.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    a two-tiered story, so the first part is easy: Lasorda on Kingman.....pretty much sums it up, never a better rant from a better guy.

so, a few years ago, my son and i are eating in the Dugout Club before the Dodgers/Cubs game and Tommy comes strolling out of the back kitchen with a big smile and a jovial "Hello!" for anyone who crosses his path, and we're eating at the first table next to the wall on the other side of the kitchen, so naturally he walks up to our table and his smile turns to a frown.

"Oh", he says, "I can't talk to you guys right now."

My son cackled. We were wearing Cubs hats. image
  • Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    Any Earl Weaver moment ! I love when he would spin his cap around so he could get closer to the umps face when yelling!
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got another good one on Lasorda.....

I was stationed at Columbus Air Force Base in Mississippi back in the mid-1980s. In either 1986 or 1987, Tommy was the guest speaker at a breakfast there (it was right before spring training started, so he just came through there on his way to Vero Beach).

Anyway, it was casual dress, so I had on just normal clothes, and had my Padres cap with me. After Tommy finished his talk, he sat down to sign autographs. As I approached the table, I put on my Padres cap. As soon as I got to the table, he looked at me, saw the hat, and just went off!.....What are you doing wearing that piece of garbage for?!!!

I explained to him that I was from San Diego (born and raised), and was a life-long Padre fan. He said something about needing to help me see the light and become a fan of a real team; blah, blah, blah....., as he was signing his autograph. It was all very good-natured. We shook hands, and I left with a big-ole smile on my face image

Steve
  • Options
    Rant by Lee Elia on 4/29/83:
    Audio: Rant
    Text:
    From Lee Elia, Chicago Cubs, Manager, in April, 1983 (before Wrigley Field had lights for night baseball), following a home loss to the Dodgers and in front of writers and microphones:

F* those f*in' fans who come out here and say they're Cub fans that are supposed to be behind you, rippin' every f*in' thing you do. I'll tell you one f*in' thing, I hope we get f*in' hotter than sh**, just to stuff it up them 3,000 f*in' people that show up every f*in' day, because if they're the real Chicago f*in' fans, they can kiss my f*in' axx right downtown and PRINT IT.

They're really, really behind you around here...my f*in' ass. What the f* am I supposed to do, go out there and let my f*in' players get destroyed every day and be quiet about it? For the f*in' nickel-dime people who turn up? The motherf*ers don't even work. That's why they're out at the f*in' game. They oughta go out and get a f*in' job and find out what it's like to go out and earn a f*in' living. Eighty-five percent of the f*in' world is working. The other fifteen percent come out here. A f*in' playground for the c**ks*ckers. Rip them motherf*ers. Rip them f*in' c***s*ckers like the f*in' players. We got guys bustin' their f*in' ass, and them f*in' people boo. And that's the Cubs? My f*in' ass. They talk about the great f*in' support the players get around here. I haven't see it this f*in' year. Everybody associated with this organization have been winners their whole f*in' life. Everybody. And the credit is not given in that respect.

Alright, they don't show because we're 5 and 14...and unfortunately, that's the criteria of them dumb fifteen motherf*in' percent that come out to day baseball. The other eighty-five percent are earning a living. I tell you, it'll take more than a 5 and 12 or 5 and 14 to destroy the makeup of this club. I guarantee you that. There's some f*in' pros out there that wanna win. But you're stuck in a f*in' stigma of the f*in' Dodgers and the Phillies and the Cardinals an all that cheap sh**. It's unbelievable. It really is. It's a disheartening f*in' situation that we're in right now. Anybody who was associated with the Cub organization four or five years ago that came back and sees the multitude of progress that's been made will understand that if they're baseball people, that 5 and 14 doesn't negate all that work. We got 143 f*in' games left.

What I'm tryin' to say is don't rip them f*in' guys out there. Rip me. If you wanna rip somebody, rip my f*in' ass. But don't rip them f*in' guys 'cause they're givin' everything they can give. And right now they're tryin' to do more than God gave 'em, and that's why we make the simple mistakes. That's exactly why.
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    I have three favorite:

-In 87 or 88 when Pete Rose was ejected and then bumped the umpire with his chest.
    -Sweet Lou pulling up first base and throwing it.
    -Sweet Lou throwing his cap down and kicking it all over the infield.

And I should also mention any Billy Martin moment where he is kicking dirt on the umpire.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    Leyland put on a good show the other night: LINK
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Rant by Lee Elia on 4/29/83:
    Text:
    From Lee Elia, Chicago Cubs, Manager, in April, 1983 (before Wrigley Field had lights for night baseball), following a home loss to the Dodgers and in front of writers and microphones:

F* those f*in' fans who come out here and say they're Cub fans that are supposed to be behind you, rippin' every f*in' thing you do. I'll tell you one f*in' thing, I hope we get f*in' hotter than sh**, just to stuff it up them 3,000 f*in' people that show up every f*in' day, because if they're the real Chicago f*in' fans, they can kiss my f*in' axx right downtown and PRINT IT.

They're really, really behind you around here...my f*in' ass. What the f* am I supposed to do, go out there and let my f*in' players get destroyed every day and be quiet about it? For the f*in' nickel-dime people who turn up? The motherf*ers don't even work. That's why they're out at the f*in' game. They oughta go out and get a f*in' job and find out what it's like to go out and earn a f*in' living. Eighty-five percent of the f*in' world is working. The other fifteen percent come out here. A f*in' playground for the c**ks*ckers. Rip them motherf*ers. Rip them f*in' c***s*ckers like the f*in' players. We got guys bustin' their f*in' ass, and them f*in' people boo. And that's the Cubs? My f*in' ass. They talk about the great f*in' support the players get around here. I haven't see it this f*in' year. Everybody associated with this organization have been winners their whole f*in' life. Everybody. And the credit is not given in that respect.

Alright, they don't show because we're 5 and 14...and unfortunately, that's the criteria of them dumb fifteen motherf*in' percent that come out to day baseball. The other eighty-five percent are earning a living. I tell you, it'll take more than a 5 and 12 or 5 and 14 to destroy the makeup of this club. I guarantee you that. There's some f*in' pros out there that wanna win. But you're stuck in a f*in' stigma of the f*in' Dodgers and the Phillies and the Cardinals an all that cheap sh**. It's unbelievable. It really is. It's a disheartening f*in' situation that we're in right now. Anybody who was associated with the Cub organization four or five years ago that came back and sees the multitude of progress that's been made will understand that if they're baseball people, that 5 and 14 doesn't negate all that work. We got 143 f*in' games left.

What I'm tryin' to say is don't rip them f*in' guys out there. Rip me. If you wanna rip somebody, rip my f*in' ass. But don't rip them f*in' guys 'cause they're givin' everything they can give. And right now they're tryin' to do more than God gave 'em, and that's why we make the simple mistakes. That's exactly why. >>

Wonder if this interview was recorded. If you have a copy, pls post link. I'd love to see this action unfolding....
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Rant by Lee Elia on 4/29/83:
    Text:

What I'm tryin' to say is don't rip them f*in' guys out there. Rip me. If you wanna rip somebody, rip my f*in' ass. But don't rip them f*in' guys 'cause they're givin' everything they can give. And right now they're tryin' to do more than God gave 'em, and that's why we make the simple mistakes. That's exactly why. >>

Wonder if this interview was recorded. If you have a copy, pls post link. I'd love to see this action unfolding.... >>

It's on YouTube. Just go there and type "Lee Elia's Rant" into the search box. Then just sit back and laugh imageimage

Steve