Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Little help identifying this baseball checklist...

Found this checklist book today and wondering if anybody can give me a little information on it...did a quick eBay search but didn't see anything.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I sort of remember that book from the early 1980's. I think it listed every players first year card but I am not positive. I will check if I still have it and let you know.
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Sure, that is The Sport Americana Alphabetical Baseball Card Checklist.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • pomobileclkpomobileclk Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    Players were listed in alphabetical order and every baseball card they ever appeared on was listed underneath by year and manufacturer
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info so far guys...I've found a few online from $5-35 -- Going to put it on the BST board as I don't really need it.

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first Beckett guides were published under the Sport Americana name. This was back when Jim Beckett partnered with Dennis Eckes, who was a card dealer in the Baltimore area. The first books were published in 1979. In addition to the price guides, they also published alphabetical checklists (I have the 6th Edition which was published in 1994), as well as team checklists (although the team checklists were done by Eckes along with Jeff Fritsch).

A few years later, Eckes left the partnership. For a while, I believe Beckett continued publishing under the Sport Americana name, even though Eckes was no longer involved. At some point though, Beckett dropped the Sport Americana brand, and just went with publishing the books under his own name. At some point in the process, Eckes passed away, but I'm not sure how that played into the change in brand.

Steve