Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Yet another paypal ebay rant

Yes, we all hate both of these monolithic 'do no good' entities, and I've had nothing but bad encounters in the past myself when Filing claims both as a buyer and seller. I'm 0 for 5, all due to losing on technicalities (lost $2,000 once because seller refused to take item back, lost $500 on the classic 'it never arrived' DC scam, $300 by picking up an item in person), but this one is a new low:

1) I order a $100 item on ebay airmail to Norway from the UK.
2) It doesn't show up after two weeks, UK seller promises that he sent it out right away via airmail.
3) Item finally shows up after 3 weeks - shipped ground from Amazon Germany, $20 postage due. Ebay guy never mentioned he was a drop shipper.
4) It is, of course, the wrong item (DVD set with same title but not the item in the ebay listing)
5) Ebay seller won't refund, I file a paypal claim.
6) Paypal asks me to ship back, which I do - to amazon, and send claim paperwork. Costs $60.
7) Ebay seller eventually agrees that it was a messup and also tells paypal to refund in the case comments.
8) 3 weeks go by with no notice.
9) Paypal decides to deny the claim, as I sent it to an 'invalid location' - amazon instead of the ebay guy, who never had the item to begin with.
10) I appeal.
11) No dice. Case closed.

I can. not. win. Out $180, and the item was a birthday gift. Yay!

/end rant

Comments

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    That stinks big time. It is things like this that made me cut down drastically on my listings. Good luck with your future ebay sales and buys.
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    If the seller agreed to refund your payment, then just ask him to send you your money. Paypal can't prevent him from refunding your money- case or no case.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    Any thoughts from anyone on if it's possible to go forward? Or is it gone?

It's funny, something about ebay and paypal together (not to mention paypal's anemic customer service) that makes it extra difficult. I do a few hundred transactions a year via paypal through my business (non-card related), never once had a claim in either direction. But get ebay in the mix and it's claim city. Frustrating, to say the least. Can't wait for the new google auctions ebay killer to arrive.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>If the seller agreed to refund your payment, then just ask him to send you your money. Paypal can't prevent him from refunding your money- case or no case. >>

True, but it would really funny if they did try to prevent it.
  • Options
    No word from the ebay guy - I doubt I'll be hearing from him again. Until this event, I had no idea that ebay has no problems with people who sell items that they don't have in hand or own and don't mention it. Figured he was breaking ebay rules until I looked it up.

Zero bad transactions with the boards here though. Good people here.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

If you paid via credit card, call you cc-co and file a
    chargeback. (There may be different cc-rules in Europe,
    but check it out.)

If you have time to play, call CS at AMZN and run the
    story by them. Try it more than once, if you must.

While I am often glad they do so, I have never had a
    clue as to why anybody would buy a non-collectible
    item thru EBAY.

I never have complained about EBAY fees, because they
    deliver lots of buyers. BUT, the fees are getting troublesome.
    EBAY has run out of ways to meet its numbers; ever increasing
    fees are its only solution.

With traffic down considerably in many categories, the fees are
    starting to become more noticeable.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    hehe, the only reason why I used ebay to buy this is because it is a difficult to find item, and I needed it quickly (airmail, not ground). that strategy worked out awesome.

I replied to paypal within 10 minutes every time they updated the case, but note that every time I email them here, a different person answers the mail, generally requiring me to start over with explaining the whole case. I think they have a different customer service team for paypal Europe, which makes the US team look like superstars. Europe's great in a lot of ways, but customer service generally leaves a lot to be desired.

I can't believe I didn't think about a chargeback until now - it totally slipped my mind. Used AmEx, so it should be straightforward. Thanks for that tip storm.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>hehe, the only reason why I used ebay to buy this is because it is a difficult to find item, and I needed it quickly (airmail, not ground). that strategy worked out awesome.

I replied to paypal within 10 minutes every time they updated the case, but note that every time I email them here, a different person answers the mail, generally requiring me to start over with explaining the whole case. I think they have a different customer service team for paypal Europe, which makes the US team look like superstars. Europe's great in a lot of ways, but customer service generally leaves a lot to be desired.

I can't believe I didn't think about a chargeback until now - it totally slipped my mind. Used AmEx, so it should be straightforward. Thanks for that tip storm. >>

Credit Card Chargeback for the win!!

I don't pay for anything on eBay anymore with a balance in my Paypal account just so I can do a chargeback in case.

Also to add if there are any active sellers on eBay who have screwed you over please PM me their usernames. I really like screwing with scammers and sellers who screw up and then refuse to help out the buyer or tell you to just F off.
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, we all hate both of these monolithic 'do no good' entities, and I've had nothing but bad encounters in the past myself when Filing claims both as a buyer and seller. I'm 0 for 5, all due to losing on technicalities (lost $2,000 once because seller refused to take item back, lost $500 on the classic 'it never arrived' DC scam, $300 by picking up an item in person), but this one is a new low:

1) I order a $100 item on ebay airmail to Norway from the UK.
    2) It doesn't show up after two weeks, UK seller promises that he sent it out right away via airmail.
    3) Item finally shows up after 3 weeks - shipped ground from Amazon Germany, $20 postage due. Ebay guy never mentioned he was a drop shipper.
    4) It is, of course, the wrong item (DVD set with same title but not the item in the ebay listing)
    5) Ebay seller won't refund, I file a paypal claim.
    6) Paypal asks me to ship back, which I do - to amazon, and send claim paperwork. Costs $60.
    7) Ebay seller eventually agrees that it was a messup and also tells paypal to refund in the case comments.
    8) 3 weeks go by with no notice.
    9) Paypal decides to deny the claim, as I sent it to an 'invalid location' - amazon instead of the ebay guy, who never had the item to begin with.
    10) I appeal.
    11) No dice. Case closed.

I can. not. win. Out $180, and the item was a birthday gift. Yay!

/end rant >>

PIGPAL AND FEEBAY....PERFECT TOGETHER. chaz