Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Loving me some 80's

If there is a silver lining in the fact that most of the cards made during my high school years are worth squat, then trying to set build on 80's unopened product is also relatively cheap. My hope in time is to have the master run of base baseball from 80-89 made from unopened stuff, racks, vending, wax, and such from Topps, Fleer, Donruss, and O-Pee-Chee.

I have sets that I've bought off of eBay, but I think for me the fun in going back is actually doing the deed myself as supposed to buying one already done.

Thanks to BBCE, I searched long and hard as to where to start and settled on some 1982 Topps Rack Packs. $9 a pop in the hope of pulling a Ripken rookie that might even grade well is worth it, and certainly better than the 1989 rack case that costs more to ship than to purchase.

With no big stars on the top or back of the rack, a Blyleven is on the back of one of them, it was an easy decision to bust open. So I busted two so far.

This was the first time I've ever seen an actual miscut rack. The pockets were non existent and all 51 came out upon opening. Also had two doubles in it as well.

These were from rack #1. The first rack looked like there were plenty of cards that did not have the plates strike at the same time as some of the cards, especially the hockey stick design on the borders, did not print evenly or were handled wet. I pulled a Guidry out of rack two that was all spotted on the top like it had been grabbed by a grabber which left black dots on a diagonal pattern. The Garvey had a huge print dot on his neck and there were a few snowy pics with dots. Also, how in the world did Bucky Dent merit an In Action card? (Nope, not bitter still over '78, not me. image )

All in all, a fun rip so far. When printed right, these things are sharp and look great. When I finish, I'll look through the sleeved ones and actually scan those in to see if they are worth submitting.

These three beauties came out of rack pack #2. I was surprised that Reggie did not have an Angels logo airbrushed anywhere. The colors and photo's were good and sharp on these three.

Comments

• How do you post pics from flickr?

It's coming up as nothing for me.
  • BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How do you post pics from flickr?

It's coming up as nothing for me. >>

Would love to help but I have no idea.

I use Photobucket as it's the easiest (in my opinion).

• << <i>

<< <i>How do you post pics from flickr?

It's coming up as nothing for me. >>

Would love to help but I have no idea.

I use Photobucket as it's the easiest (in my opinion). >>

I may just do that.

EDIT: And did. Thanks!
  • ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Love this thread, keep 'em coming!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    reggie jackson angels card is in the 82 topps traded set.
  • scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    I was hoping to see two Ripkens! Keep ripping! image
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool thread, keep posting.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Cool thread. Coincidentally, I am preparing to undertake a similiar project.

I collected cards from 1985 - 1990 and am starting to catch the bug again as a 32 year old. My plan is to start with either 1983 or 1984 Topps and buy a couple boxes from Baseball Card Exchange, hopefully coming close to completing a full set, then buying the remaining individual cards needed online. Should two boxes get me close to completing a full set?

I'd like to complete '83, '84, '85 Topps and possibly '89 Upper Deck. Really looking forward to receiving my first boxes and reliving some childhood years.

Good luck on your project! Keep the pictures coming.
  • Two more 82 racks were ripped today. Quailty really varies from card to card. Enough fisheyes and print dots. Backs that had light spots on them and, as you can hopefully see below, some over printed cards.

Hopefully you can see from Rusty's fax sig on he card, it looks like they were not set properly and some of the cards looked like they were rubbed on a greasy body before packaging. Besides, who doesn't love some Rusty Kuntz cards. image

Sorry for the Rose flash, but these three cards were pretty good, although the Fisk is a bit off center. One thing about these racks, they are either immaculate or strangely printed. Love all the Yankee and Shea shots too in the commons. Topps must have paid a freelancer in the Bay Area as well as there are plenty of shots in this era shot at Candlestick or Oakland-Alameda.

The first pocket of the first rack was nearly identical to one from the first rip. Still, Seaver and Schmidt were nice pulls.

As a 9 year old, I would have been really bummed about the lack of Red Sox cards and seeing Fisk in a Chisox jersey, and man those babies were horrid then, but at nearly 40, very good star power out of these two racks.

Clearly, these things were not reseals as there are some good pulls. I haven't pulled any of the prospect cards yet, but pulled a Tony Perez Action card that looked good and some other ones that were stars in their day but lost to history.

Two more racks left, then wondering what to buy next.

Happy 4th.
  • Opened the last of the racks today. Four of the six pockets gave me mostly new cards so out of 18 mini racks, 15 had no dupes. Like that a bunch.

I pulled my first two of the 3 panel rookie cards today, Milwaukee and Seattle. Future Red Sox hero Dave Henderson is the center picture on the Mariner card. I forget the 3 on the Brewers card, but there was a semi-star as well. No Cal's in the six racks, but a blast to rip.

Only two pics today. First a better shot of what is either an over develop or a mistruck print. There would be at least one of these per rack pocket but....

not to this extreme on most. Not sure if the camera got enough of the detail to see.

Second, these were the best star power out of the last two. A Reggie double is always good and the Winfield and Carew were very nice.

Anything in the set in general worth submitting other than the elusive Cal?

Next step here is to go through the ones I sleeved and scan them to see if they are worth submitting. All in all a very fun rip.
  • scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Excellent! I'm busting some 1983 racks (as there are more big rookies) but I always thought the '82 set was a nice looking one. Very dated, but in a good way.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Nice cards. It looks like you are having a lot of fun.
  • It's a blast.

I work at a sports store that sells cards and hardly anybody buys cards to build sets. They want the hit. The fun, at least for me, was trying to build sets from my allowance. Hard to do that today when a 50 card Jumbo goes for $11.95 and has no gum. image
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭

<< <i>and has no gum. image >>

I miss the gum. I remember buying a box of Topps in the 80's and having enough gum to chew all day. Good times image
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    If the Stargell, the 2nd Reggie or the Brett are PSA 10 quality, I would definitely sub.