Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Any info on this Athenian Stater?

Corinth? Lefkas? Acarnania?

I have done a little research and I am zeroing in on identification and authentication. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its hard to tell from the small photos but in a way it does look fake.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to be Corinthian or colonies and can not tell from pictures....Need better quality.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
    I put new photos up, but this is about the best I can do in my current camera situation.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting to see you use the same avatar picture as Anthony, aka "stainless"- and it seems both of you are into ancients?

Corinth would have indeed been my first guess on that, but my knowledge of ancient Greek coins is sketchy. (I did once own a Corinthian stater with a similar design to that, however).

Some of the softer details on that would make me suspect a cast counterfeit, but not for sure one way or the other- I guess it could just be worn. Nevertheless, if you have that in hand, look it over VERY carefully for any of the tells re. casting: edge seam, bubbles, etc. From what I see in the pictures, my gut instinct would go 50% "it's a fake" and 50% "I don't know".

If it turns out to be real- hey... nice coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
    There are no obvious signs of it being a fake. A person I trust with these indicated he believed it was real and from Lefkas. The only thing that makes me think otherwise is that I found this in a bag of "foreigns" that I bought, and I never get that lucky. It is the first ancient coin I have ever held in my hand. I don't collect or know a thing about ancients.