Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Need a phone number for the national re internet access/electrical

hi, I need a phone number and name of someone to speak with about internet/electrical access for the national in chicago

any leads ?

thanks so much

rick
Rick Probstein
Ebay Store:
Probstein123
phone: 973 747 6304
email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!

Comments

• KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Info and contracts all in dealer packet and deadline for discounted rates is July 15.
    Electric is $190.
    128k 1 computer $400
    And these are the discounted rates.
    847-696-2208, but you'll need to fill out the contracts.
  • thanks for the speedy reply...

128k 1 computer $400
    ==> what does this mean exactly...
    how much for internet access for 4 computers...I assume they give you the wireless password ?
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

It means your download speed will be limited to 128k and you can't put more than one computer or switch/router on the line.
    If you want a connection that will allow up to 6 computers it's $1200, don't know what speed they give you. If you want to add a wireless access point to the $1200 plan it's another $300. Or if you hard wire to their required switch it's $85 and $12 per cable if you don't bring your own.

Or you could buy the mobile broadband hotspot hardware and a whole years worth of 10GB a month shared mobile broadband service from Verizon and still have save about $400 left over.
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Or you could buy the mobile broadband hotspot hardware and a whole years worth of 10GB a month shared mobile broadband service from Verizon and still have save about $400 left over. >>

Probstein,

Definitely at least explore an option like this. Depending on your wireless service provider, your cost will vary. Sprint allows me to toggle my wireless hot spot option on and off as I need it. In other words, no contract or commitment for that option for me. Monthly charge is $29.95 and usage is unlimited. It turns my phone into a "Wireless Hot Spot" which will allow Wi/Fi enabled devices to connect to it via a password. I use it periodically with my laptop and Ipad.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • KbKards:
    I have a fever and you're the cure...
    can you call me at 973 594 8222 ? or email me your number: rickprobstein1@gmail.com
    thanks so much

rick
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

• CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Or you could buy the mobile broadband hotspot hardware and a whole years worth of 10GB a month shared mobile broadband service from Verizon and still have save about $400 left over. >>

Probstein,

Definitely at least explore an option like this. Depending on your wireless service provider, your cost will vary. Sprint allows me to toggle my wireless hot spot option on and off as I need it. In other words, no contract or commitment for that option for me. Monthly charge is $29.95 and usage is unlimited. It turns my phone into a "Wireless Hot Spot" which will allow Wi/Fi enabled devices to connect to it via a password. I use it periodically with my laptop and Ipad.

Mike >>

What are the speeds like for using this? Do you use your 4G phone as a hot spot, or is it a different device?
  • brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Probstein,

Mike >>

What are the speeds like for using this? Do you use your 4G phone as a hot spot, or is it a different device? >>

I can answer this since I sell the stuff for Time Warner Cable.

You can get a USB type device that plugs directly into a PC or laptop to give 1 item access or get a mobile hotspot to give multiple items wifi access.

Speeds will depend on coverage whether 4G or 3G, you want to make sure the area you may use this in is at least 3G otherwise you will be in roaming and get poor speeds and lots of extra charges.
    4G I have seen average speeds of around 3-6 Mbps for downloads and 3G at around 500 Kbps to 1.5 Mbps. Uploads shouldn't really matter unless you are planning on uploading a lot of files of size.

Also if you go this route I would really make sure that the building hosting the Nationals doesn't interfer with reception, I have seen buildings really screw with a mobile hotspot.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Depending upon where you are located in the Stephens Center, you may or may not have an adequate signal for your wireless. Been there, done that... The front of the hall is best as is the annex. The back of the hall and the area near the food court is atrocious. And don't plan on doing anything with the laptop while sitting on the hopper...
  • otwcards:
    thanks for the reply...

what do you suggest I do if I wanna set up like 4 workstations within my booth ?
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

<< <i>otwcards:
    thanks for the reply...

what do you suggest I do if I wanna set up like 4 workstations within my booth ? >>

Are you looking to setup laptops or actual desktops?
  • nendeenendee Posts: 550 ✭✭✭
    Wow - that seems outrageous! You would think any modern facility would do a hotel style plan - you go to the wireless network, pay 10 bucks, and you're online. Regardless, since I imagine many places would want internet access, it seems like this is how the facility makes its money
    Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com

<< <i>otwcards:
    thanks for the reply...

what do you suggest I do if I wanna set up like 4 workstations within my booth ? >>

Rick:

To ensure you'll have a usable feed, you may have to pony up for the insanely priced service. However, my suggestion would be to have a wireless hotspot via your phone carrier and see if it works while going through set-up on Tuesday. If it does, you've saved a bundle. If it doesn't, then get the service from the on-site vendor. If I recall, there isn't much of a price differential adding it once you get there versus contracting for it in advance. Just make certain that if you need it, you notify them as early as possible during set-up.
  • Are you looking to setup laptops or actual desktops?
    ==> I'm looking to set up desktops , 4 work stations, with scanners, printers the whole 9 yards....
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

otw is right on, you can get a mobile hotspot for example you can get a non-contract one from Virgin Mobile or check with other providers about a opt out period since most others will be a contract, try it on Tuesday and if it doesn't do the job then you can get the horribly overpriced on site service.

Also make sure the desktops are wireless enabled, if they are not make sure you pickup some wireless usb adapters for them if you try the hotspot option. Have had customers try this before to find out the day they go to setup everything the desktops don't have wireless cards in them.
  • Hi Rick, i can't help with what you ask, but i'm thinking on going to the national for the 1st time in 10 years that's after worcking 20 of them in a row,
    and maybe stop by and say hello! so i want your table # if is ok.
    Jose
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>so i want your table # if is ok. >>

Jose, I'll let Rick verify this, but he indicated in another thread that his booth number is #1033.

Can't make it this year, but everyone have a good time checking out hoards of cards. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
    To ensure you'll have a usable feed, you may have to pony up for the insanely priced service. However, my suggestion would be to have a wireless hotspot via your phone carrier and see if it works while going through set-up on Tuesday. If it does, you've saved a bundle. If it doesn't, then get the service from the on-site vendor. If I recall, there isn't much of a price differential adding it once you get there versus contracting for it in advance. Just make certain that if you need it, you notify them as early as possible during set-up.

After July 15th the $1200 discounted rate increases to $1600. Hardware to hard wire your network goes from $85 to $120(ethernet cables $12 to $20 if you don't bring your own), or adding wireless access goes from $300 to $375.

So it will be $1500 now or $1975 if you decide at the show you need it. Locking in the lower rate now and cancelling at the show if don't need it isn't an option due to only a 50% service refund and 0% hardware refund. You may want to check with neighboring booths to see if anyone wants to share the cost of your internet access.

• update:
    I spoke to bernie @ 847 696 2208..she was extremely helpful....

I told her we wanted to set up 4-5 workstations at the national and she thinks the most economical way for us is to get aircards as people sugested
    , not pay the 1200-1500 thru the conference...she suggested verizon, sprint, att, etc...

I'm gonna check it out further....

thanks for all of your helpful replies...

yes, we are booth: #1033

please stop by and say hello....
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

• What's to prevent several dealers from pooling their money together to pay the $1500 to share a high speed wireless connection? I'm sure someone is smart enough to hide a wireless router somewhere.

If you go the mobile broadband route, the cost of the hardware is negligible compared to the cost of the data packages. Verizon charges $80 for 5GB on 3G USB modems (the ones that look like flash drives) if you do prepaid without any contract. Uploads and downloads both count against the 5GB limit. The only good thing about it is there are no extra taxes or fees or anything. It's just a flat $80 rate.

I recently bought a USB760 from Wirefly.com for $34.99 that worked great for me for one week when I needed it a couple months ago. They've since increased the price to $49.88 but that's still a somewhat decent price. That unit is not a mobile hotspot - it's only good for a single computer, so you'd have to buy 4 of them for 4 computers. You could also get a mobile hotspot, but it would have the same data limits, and then you'd have to make sure to install a wifi device in each computer.

meritline.com has some inexpensive hardware devices that frequently work adequately.
  • Does anyone know how good the cellphone coverage is inside the building? We're booth no. 1033 located in the middle of the convention center.
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

<< <i>Does anyone know how good the cellphone coverage is inside the building? We're booth no. 1033 located in the middle of the convention center. >>

Rick:

If you're in the center of the hall, you should be alright. The area in the rear and near the foodcourt are the worst. Surprisingly, the annex is actually one of the few areas that I haven't lost service.
  • Collecting: 1948 Leaf Football Master Set (PSA 7 or better - PSA 6 or better for High Numbers), ANY and ALL Autographed 1948 Leaf Football cards

ALL Autographed 1948 Leaf Football cards
    ==> awesome...how many do you have ?
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

<< <i>Collecting: 1948 Leaf Football Master Set (PSA 7 or better - PSA 6 or better for High Numbers), ANY and ALL Autographed 1948 Leaf Football cards

ALL Autographed 1948 Leaf Football cards
    ==> awesome...how many do you have ? >>

Not enough! image Currently stagnated at 54 different of the 98.
  • Not enough! Currently stagnated at 54 different of the 98.
    ==> you're a beast, that's awesome...
    can you post a scan of your best HOF'er ?
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

<< <i>Not enough! Currently stagnated at 54 different of the 98.
    ==> you're a beast, that's awesome...
    can you post a scan of your best HOF'er ? >>

Here's 8 of the 12 HOFers that I have...