Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My first Rastlin card!

Won this Andre the Giant 1982 card a few minutes ago from fellow board member probstein123 on eBay: Andre 1982

Looks like Rick has some type of javascript on his image so I can't steal it and paste here image

I think I overpaid a bit but sometimes you just want a card. This might be my gateway drug!
Hook'em

Comments

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Here ya go:

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Mike comes in with the tag!

Hook'em
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you overpaid. Most of these that show up raw on EBAY would grade a PSA 4 or PSA 5 so at least there is no hidden surprise.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't think that you overpaid either.......
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Great to know that I did not overpay. I really liked the eye appeal for the low grade.

It was one of those that I had on my watch list and put a high bid with 3 minutes to go just figuring I would see what the market was. At least I did not pay max bid image
    Hook'em
  • Options
    Those Andre's side to side centering can be found much more OC than that one....might have been docked a bit for top and bottom centering which PSA will hammer the card for, but BGS wouldn't from what I have seen.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    That is a very nice PSA 5. The top to bottom centering certainly hurt the overall grade but I am sure there is a hurt corner in the bunch and getting much more then a PSA 5 with a damaged corner is really tough.

I think for $46 bucks you did great. The Andre card has cooled off some for sure but high grade examples remain very scarce and I think you would see very strong prices for those.

Someone did indeed get a PSA 9. I cracked out a BGS 9 and it came back a PSA 7. This card in PSA 9 form must be awesome! I am hoping it will surface.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    i agree with the other guys.. don't think you over paid. nice card. I got lucky and picked this card up from wrestling prints for about 20 bucks before the prices popped. Got it slabbed and is a psa 7. Unfortunately that was the only card i bought. I should have scooped up a hogan and flair when i had the chance.

i was wondering what the wrestling collectors thought of the 87 opc set. i just got it in the mail. the bret hart card looks like an 8. centered great but the blue on the top corners is tough.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    The 87 OPC will not really bring a big permium. The Topps set is easy to find in sealed boxes and there is not a big enough collector base for high end wrestling cards to make that set worth anything. The OPC may be a bit more rare but the lack of star power and mass production of the base set will keep this one depressed I believe.

The 85 OPC set with the Hogan's is going to bring big prices in high grade. There have been a few uncut sheets surface but PSA won't grade those. The two OPC Hogan's will be crazy tuff in high grade and will do very well. There are none graded and it is impossible to find raw 85 OPC cards from the original set. With the huge collector base out of Canada these are winners for certain.

The 85-86 Macho Man OPC will do very well for in PSA 9 or higher. There was a PSA 9 hit the pop reports and in a week or so will see if it comes for sale. This is a wrestling card that may find it's way deep into personal collections. I have owned a large number of these and this is a tuff card along with the rest of the set. This is a sleaper set and if any collectors get on board it will do very well as the pop levels will stay low in high grade for sure across the board.

• Options
    good info.. thanks. i knew the 87 topps set was pretty much worthless because it was so over produced.. but wasn't sure about eh opc. i haven't seen much of it at all. so thought it was worth getting the bret hart card when i could. i'll get it slabbed anyways for my pc
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    It is a very good PC card. With anything from 87 like this you need a PSA 9 or PSA 10.

Something super rare like the 86 Carnation Major League Wrestling cards a PSA 8 will bring a nice price from the right buyer.

A nice card to try and locate would be a PSA 10 87 Topps Bret Hart. The first one would be a fun auction to follow. I would not know how to estimate the price becuase it could be as low as $50 or as high as $500. I would suspect closer to the low end of the range but you never know.

• Options
    does he have an 86 carnation card? i'm only interested in rookies so if he does.. it makes my opc purchase a complete waste.
  • Options
    i have a wrestling card checklist on the web if you ever want to see where wrestlers have cards..........
  • Options
    No the 1987 WWF release is Bret Hart's rookie card.

The 1986 Carnation set has The Road Warriors in it which I am searching for. It also has Ric Flair, Sergeant SLaughter, Rick Martel, The Russians with Ivan Koloff and Nakita Koloff and Kamala.

I sold my only two cards that were graded PSA 8 to another wrestling collector. These are very rare and hardly ever show up let alone is nice condition. A PSA 9 Ric Flair or Road Warriors would be a really hot card if they ever surface.