Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

UPDATED: I went with the Mega-Snipe AGAIN and....... this time I got it.

Someone else went with the Super-Duper Mega-Bid! I'm bummed.....huge card for me.....this sucks and I'll never sleep tonight.

Thanks for caring.....or not. image
The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    which card was it?
  • Options
    123Slider123Slider Posts: 851 ✭✭

<< <i>which card was it? >>

Without revealing too much, the worst kind...the last one needed to complete a set.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

Without revealing too much, the worst kind...the last one needed to complete a set. >>

Come on Slider ... NOT a good answer. You make a post like that you HAVE to give us a LINK to the item!

Sorry you didn't get the card!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Yes, which card was it. I may have three of them laying around collecting dust.
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Without revealing too much, the worst kind...the last one needed to complete a set. >>

Come on Slider ... NOT a good answer. You make a post like that you HAVE to give us a LINK to the item!

Sorry you didn't get the card!!! >>

LOL! Sorry on the lack of details, but I've watched too many X-Files.....trust no one!

First one I've seen in the four years I've been doing this set. So that's why I'm a little over protective.

• Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    So what exactly was the purpose of this post if you don't even want to tell anyone what you are talking about?
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Go Big, or go home!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Honestly I think you should share what card it is as this board has a chance of helping you achieve your goal.
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Cool story bro!
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Honestly I think you should share what card it is as this board has a chance of helping you achieve your goal. >>

Seen too many examples of this happening to mention.
  • Options
    Since Mr. Vintage asked so nicely, here is what I need. 1953 Dixie Lid.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Yowzers...
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>YOUR WELCOME >>

All help is appreciated, but that is a smaller version of the lids. I guess, think Bowman large and small with football. Doesn't seem right to have 23 one size and one another.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    got it.. I tried
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    What sort of containers were these lids attached to?
  • Options

<< <i>What sort of containers were these lids attached to? >>

Small cups of ice cream.

Seems most were returned to the company as part of a deal where you collect so many, you get a photograph, or premium as they are called.

• Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    if it's the first one you've seen in 4 years and you're really bummed you didn't get it, why in the world didn't you make sure you were gonna be the high bidder?
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Horrible listing without date or name in title. Great opportunity to pick up cheap but still hits $152. Just imagine what you'd have to pay if it was properly listed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Dixie-Lids-NO-RESERVE-AUCTION-/140563803727
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Hey 123 slider....your snipe wasn't even close because the winning bidder had a double bid stacked on top of one another. You didn't even get sandwiched in between in the bids, so there is no telling how high his bid was!!
  • Options
    (double post)
  • Options

<< <i>Hey 123 slider....your snipe wasn't even close because the winning bidder had a double bid stacked on top of one another. You didn't even get sandwiched in between in the bids, so there is no telling how high his bid was!! >>

You are correct! The good news is, hopefully he's out for the next one.

KB is also correct that is was a horrible listing. Sometimes I think the horrid listing gets MORE attention because those that find it think they are going to get a steal. LOL.
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭

<< <i>Hey 123 slider....your snipe wasn't even close because the winning bidder had a double bid stacked on top of one another. You didn't even get sandwiched in between in the bids, so there is no telling how high his bid was!! >>

The double bid means nothing. My snipe service uses a mirror site. My bids show up twice even though both bids are for the same amount. It is just a backup. If one snipe were to fail the mirror would be there and viceversa. There is no way to know if he lost to two higher bids or just one.
  • Options
    He lost to TWO higher bids. If you notice the times, they were set at different times. If the times is all the same, then what you say is true. In this case, it is not.
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Didn't notice the times were different. So many people snipe at the last second these days that I am just use to seeing duplicate times. So... Do I get burned at the stake or sent to the gallows? If given the choice I'll take stretching a rope.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Call me crazy and I'm not knocking the OP, but $150 for something that hasn't hit ebay in 4 years seems like a steal.
  • Options
    I think so too Lee. The winning bidder obviously would have bid more, but with an extremely poor listing, and a weak snipe, there is no telling how high that item should have brought.
  • Options

<< <i>Call me crazy and I'm not knocking the OP, but $150 for something that hasn't hit ebay in 4 years seems like a steal. >>

In hindsight Lee...... image

$150 would be double any other lid I have purchased. The HOFer's would go for more, but obviously someone with deeper pockets needed this one as well.

Lesson learned for me. It's a unique little set, with a very few of collectors from what I can tell, with some player collectors sprinkled in. Seems a few of us are always bidding on them. Minus one bidder, it's mine for $51. Seller's dream, buyer's nightmare.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    In the long run you probably saved money. Someone out there has the same lid and will now list it after seeing the hammer price for this one, and now you've got the top bidder out of the way. I know nothing about the set so I can't attest to the value, but to me it's worth my mental well-being to know I completed the set even if I have to way overspend for a common. I can't tell you how many garbage 90s inserts I've overpaid for just to complete sets; the best is when you see the same card you paid $50 for sell for $3 a week later.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    heh-heh. and there was a subtle clue right there Slider's avatar. image
  • Options
    Patience paid off as I got a much better copy, and it's graded!

Took 7 months for another to show up, but worth the wait.

And cheaper by about $25.

• Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the pickup and completing your set!
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Good for you! CONGRATS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    good stuff
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    So glad you found one. Congrats
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **