Home Sports Talk

I just read the Jimmy Rollins guiness book attempt at longest HR....

Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
Why does it seem like the answer to this question is always different......Who has hit the farthest HR? If it is the Babe at 575....that's great and no more answers. I've heard a million different answers. It sounds like the guiness book recognizes Ruth hit a ball in a game 575 ft for a HR. I thought the Rollins event was very cool for charity; but I'm glad a new record was not set with crazy loaded bats and balls.

Comments

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Some say that it was Mantle off of Chuck Stobbs at Griffith Stadium in 1953.
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Reggie Jackson's homerun in the 1971 All-star game at Detriot , was still rising , when it struck the top of the light tower above the right field roof. It was a monsterous blast. No it didn't go 575 feet , but doing the math conjurs up some scary distance.

On April 14th 1976 , Dave Kingman hit a wind blown moon shot off of Tom Dettore that landed about 7 streets past the left field confines of Wrigley Field. It was estimated as being around 530-550 feet away.

I saw both on TV , way back when.----- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's what I found.

"On April 17, 1953 Washington Senators pitcher Chuck Stobbs gave up a home run to Mantle that is said to have traveled 565 feet from home plate. That home run is in the Guinness Book of World Records as the longest one ever hit. Whether or not it is the longest one ever is still a matter of some debate. "

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    See....this is what I'm saying. What is the answer that Guiness is giving? In the Rollins thing they say Ruth. And yes...Reggie's shot was a blast and the best I've ever watched. It was such a fast blast that you really don't get any time to enjoy it until it bounces off the tower and back to the field.