Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Less than a week to go! 2011 Set Registry Deadline June 30, 2011! Any last minute changes?

illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
From PCGS:

<< <i>The deadline for the 2011 awards is Wednesday, June 30, 2011. All sets must be registered and updated no later than 5pm EST (2pm PST). Please plan ahead when sending potential set registry coins to PCGS for grading. We do not extend the deadline for any reason. >>

Last year I was really surprised and honored that my 1909 Mint Set was selected by PCGS as one of the Best of the Registry. Unfortunately, I have not been able to increase my set rating very much since last year (only went up 0.01 points). My set is to the point where it is tough to not only find a coin that will upgrade my set but also tough for me to afford such upgrades. I was able to add a few of the varieties to my set this year, namely the 1909-S/S FS-1501 Lincoln Cent (tough coin!) and the 1909 VDB FS-1102 Lincoln Cent. What is really great about those additions is that I received leads from forum members on each of those coins and each of those coins was in an unattributed PCGS holder at the time. I thought that was quite generous and pretty cool of them. I have been including the varieties in my set by adding additional photos since PCGS has not yet added a 1909 Mint Set w/ Varieties in the Registry (yeah, I've asked a few times).

1909 Mint Set

Last fall, I also sent my set in to PCGS for Secure Plus regrading and pedigree service (just the 18 base coins). I was motivated to do so not only to take advantage the pedigree service, but I was also provided with complimentary TrueView photos of all 18 coins under the PCGS Condition Census offer. From the regrading, only one coin ultimately upgraded, my 1909 Lincoln Cent went from MS66RD to MS66+RD which accounts for the 0.01 point increase in my set rating. Of course I thought a few others were locks to receive a plus designation, but PCGS disagreed this time around. Overall, I am pretty happy that I now have my set in matching holders with the pedigree and that the coins now have TrueView photos associated with them. It is also very cool that whenever I go check out a 1909 dated coin in CoinFacts, I usually have one of my coins staring back at me on the page. That said, I did decide to recently remove the TrueView photos from showing up in my registry set and instead cropped the new TrueView photos into the template I've been using for my other coins so that all of the images in my set would look more uniform. I am pretty happy with the way it came out.

Anyways, just wanted to remind everyone of the deadline in case others are planning on any last minute changes and also to say best of luck to all of those participating in the Set Registry.

I also can't wait go through the list of all of the winners and check out some really neat sets. Anyone else make any moves this year with their sets??

Mike

Comments

• Mike
    I have always loved looking at your sets. They are amazing. I wish you the best of luck this year
    Coin collecting is the only hobby were you can spend all your money collecting them but you will never be broke
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is my calendar wrong that the 30th is on Thursday?
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is my calendar wrong that the 30th is on Thursday?
    image >>

I just quoted right off the Set Registry news section

Thanks for the nice comments Financeman image
  • badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I just updated my proof sets. Ended up buying a few of the Jeffs from the Ron Wilk's number 1 set when they were sold at Heritage. I am trying to update photos now.

Dave
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
    Great sets, Dave! Looks like you're getting to the point where upgrades are extremely difficult, congrats on getting a few! I was looking at the Jefferson Proofs w/ varieties Registry category that you have linked in your post and it's pretty unfortunate that the previous #1 set didn't retire the set before removing all of the coins. Based on the number of years it was at the top, seems like a set that should have been preserved in the Registry for future collectors to always be able to look up to and compete with. For example, until I clicked on their current set rating, I didn't even know that they would still have the #1 set in the all time finest category had they retired the set while intact... bummer!

• renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a biggie coming... a REAL biggie... but not in time image

And I would still need two relatively easy upgrades to cement first place, but no time to find them.

There's one set I could pull ahead in, just squeak in under the line, but I don't think it's gonna happen. I guess Cardinal will have to reign supreme for one more year.

One thing I can say... once I cement all the coins I need in place, I may just un-publish my sets to get the target off my back. I hardly think I will be able to hold off for an entire year, but anything's possible.
    Matt, can't wait to see what the BIG ONE is image Should have had the coin sent Express Mail to beat the deadline image Anyways, after reading your post some more, it seems that we may not know for awhile what that BIG ONE is if you do decide to make your sets private.

I've seen this happen in several of the very competitive categories where the folks at the top keep their sets private. I've been wondering if this takes some of the fun out of the Set Registry. For me, one of the big reasons that I participate in the Registry is to be able to not only share my collection with friends and family, but also with the entire world. And not just a list of my coins, but really nice photos too. Only a handful of folks get to see my coins in person since they're always locked away at the bank, but with the Registry anyone in the world with Internet access can see them all.

Of course the competition aspect of the Registry is fun too, but in the sets I've competed in so far, I've found the competition to be very friendly. Not only have I shared emails and phone calls with many of the people at or near the top of the category, but also have been given leads (and even offers) for coins that would improve my set, even when my acquisition of those coins would jump my set ahead of the referring party's set. I've also given leads to other competitors and even sold some of my duplicates to help out other sets. Maybe it's different since I've been competiting in sets where it takes less than $100k to be at the top? I guess all of us participating know that if anyone of the deep pockets in the hobby were motivated to do so, they could buy the #1 spot with relative ease.

I guess if I were ever able to compete near the top of one of those super competitive sets, I'd have to really think hard about making my set private. I understand the advantages of doing so, but it seems like there are also some significant disadvantages.
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just completed my daughter's 2006 proof set... It's under the name (LMW) which is my daughter's initials. It's also ranked #1 along with a few others. Check it out !!! image
  • Your set is way better than the other registry sets posted here! It at least shows that you don't put a price tag on quality. As collectors, we all should understand that certain examples may cost a lot, but if they complete our set and give us a high score, that is all that counts.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, I really enjoy your sets! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Your set is way better than the other registry sets posted here! It at least shows that you don't put a price tag on quality. As collectors, we all should understand that certain examples may cost a lot, but if they complete our set and give us a high score, that is all that counts. >>

I'll drink to that! Oh, wait, I can only afford beer ...

Congratulations in advance not only to the winners but to Those Who Try. I put myself in the latter camp. Actually, the rewards for me are not about high score, but about the fellowship and knowledge I gain from others with similar collecting interests.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • CalebCaleb Posts: 739
    Just a few minutes left....... make those last minute chances now image

Good luck to all image

• << <i>Just a few minutes left....... make those last minute chances now image

Good luck to all image >>

any idea when the awards will be announced? It's now 2 and a half weeks since the deadline...does it usually take this long?
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I'm "a little" anxious to find out the results too!
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.