Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEED SOME HELP! Brass ancient Roman coins - value?

This is a series of 10 Roman coins that were given to my nephew's Romanian wife by her grandfather(?). The coins were evidently part of a hoard from the 4th century - probably unearthed in the mid 20th century. hey were given to her in a plastic holder for 10 coins (Gardmaster style, with sliding pockets), along with a paragraph that was published about the finds. There is some foreign writing on the reverse of the paper, which his wife can read, I think. She says that she believes that most of the coins are worth about $50, but one of them may be valued in the 4 figure range.
I will show the pics in order with obverse & reverse (at least I think so!)
There are 20 pictures, not all of them equal, because the coins are in pretty rough shape - as though they had been buried for huundreds of years! I get the impression that the coins were sold as a souvenir set in the plastic case that they were in. I will also include a photo of the article after the coin photos. Any help is appreciated!

coin #1

coin #1 side #2

coin #2

coin #2 side#2

coin #3

coin #3 side #2

coin #4

coin #4 side #2

coin #5

coin #5 side #2

con #6

coin #6 side #2

coin #7

coin #7 side #2

coin #8

coin #8 side #2

coin #9

coin #9 side 2

coin #10

coin #10 side #2 - whew!

text

photos with text

photos w/text
Don't you know that it's worth
every treasure on Earth
to be young at heart?
And as rich as you are,
it's much better by far,
to be young at heart!

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    These are mid to late 4th century 3rd and 4th bronzes. All but #8 (Nicomedia mint) and maybe #5 whose mintmark I can't quite make out seem to be from Balkan mints which ties nicely to the story of their origin. As best as I can tell all appear to be common types/emperors and are uncleaned/pretty low grade. An interesting lot with the write up but I'd think nothing here would fetch $10 retail, IMHO.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    golddustingolddustin Posts: 838 ✭✭
    That's kind of what I thought - maybe the souvenir idea is correct. They came in a 'ten pack' holder with the small article (which could have been added later), and they are all in pretty rough shape.

Thank you
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • Options
    ttt - Anybody else care to weigh in? I know nothing about these coins, and don't post here too often....second opinions are always a good idea!
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1: VRBS ROMA "anonymous" city commemorative, she-wolf suckling Romulus and Remus. Can't make out the mintmark.

#2: emperor Valens, SECVRITAS REIPVBLICAE, Victory marching, Siscia mint.

#3: can't tell the emperor, loks like an emperor-dragging-captive reverse. Siscia mint.

#4: emperor Valentinian II, VOT X MVLT XX inside wreath. Siscia mint. The reverse pic is upside-down.

#5: emperor Constans, GLORIA EXERCITVS, two soldiers standing with legionary standard between them. Can't read the mintmark.

#6: emperor Constantine I (the Great), PROVIDENTIAE AVGG, campgate. Siscia mint.

#7: emperor Constantine I, IOVI CONSERVAROTI, Jupiter standing. Thessalonica mint. There's an extra "http//" in your link that stops the obverse from loading properly.

#8: can't tell the emperor, reverse is similar to #5, but much clearer. Nicomedia mint.

#9: can't tell the emperor, reverse is similar to #2, but less clear. Siscia mint also.

#10: not much left to read, but it's a Constantius II FEL TEMP REPARATIO, soldier-spearing-horseman type. Can't make out the mintmark.

I'd agree with STLNATS, in terms of value. There's not much there you'd pay more than $10 to $20 for from a dealer. Fully identifiable ones are worth more, but I don't see anything there that's "four-figure".

I should also point out that, as far as I know, it's almost impossible for these to all come from the same hoard, not from a "spending money" hoard anyway. You don't get coins of Constantine I mixed up with coins of Valentinian II; that's a gap of over a generation and in between those two reigns there was at least one coinage recall; they never circulated side-by-side.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Thanks a bunch to both of you. I have NO idea about any of these, but had some serious doubts about the value once I got the coins in hand to photograph. I think I fixed that first photo of coin #7 - it should show up now....not that it will make that much difference.

I think the nephew & his bride will just be hanging on to these rather than sell at the values estimated.

Happy 4TH of July!
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!