Home Precious Metals
Options

1850's Gold Dollars?

For someone who has never stacked gold these seem attractive so there must be a catch. What are the drawbacks to the gold dollars of the 1850's? Should a beginner like me just start out 1/10th AGE's?

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is your intention? Collect numismatic gold (as 150-year-old numismatic coins are priced) or accumulate bullion?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    If you just plan to start out, I'd go with getting the 1/10 age's. Easy to buy and easy to sell.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    yznx3eyznx3e Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Good question. I currently enjoy stacking 90% silver because I recognize its liquidity but also enjoy owning 100 year old pieces of history. And if I shop carefully I can usually acquire it at or below spot. The premium on new gold scares me but I have no idea if the 1850's gold carries the same premium and how liquid it is if I ever need to sell fast. Also I see a lot of 1850's pieces that have been removed from jewelry and can be had at what appears to be a decent price.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    high premiums vs. melt, lots of damaged ones, lots of counterfeits.

they're a poor choice for a pure bullion play, although many of us have a few as spice of a larger gold holding centered around twenties and AGEs

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're not even a good numismatic play except in MS64 and higher. And they've been a lousy numismatic play all around for the past couple of years.

They suffer from "smallcoinitus." Just too darn small to attract the big money that classic $10's and $20's seem to do.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    yznx3eyznx3e Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Sounds like there are better options out there.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's my opinion that when you need a loupe to see the darn things they are not collectable at anything
    above melt. Those small ones are so tiny and light as to have few contact marks and you'd need to
    have very highly graded onese to be numismatic.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>They're not even a good numismatic play except in MS64 and higher. And they've been a lousy numismatic play all around for the past couple of years.

They suffer from "smallcoinitus." Just too darn small to attract the big money that classic $10's and $20's seem to do.

roadrunner >>

cant have to many of ones like these

but again not to be bought for stacking ...but in my opinion a coin that will hold a nice value
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
    gdavis70,Musky1011,cohodk,cucamongacoin,robkool,chumley, drei3ree, Rampage,jmski52, commoncents05, dimples, dcarr, Grouchy, holeinone1972, JonMN34, mission16,meltdown,Omega,PQpeace, SeaEagleCoins, WaterSport, whatsup,Wizard1,WinLoseWin,MMR,49thStateofMind,SamByrd,Ahrensdad,BAJJERFAN,timrutnat,TWQG,CarlWohlforth,Ciccio,PreTurb,NumisMe,Patches,NotSure,luvcoins123,piecesofme,perryhall,nibanny,atarian,airplanenut
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    but again not to be bought for stacking ...but in my opinion a coin that will hold a nice value

One would think that $3 gold pcs in MS62 to MS64 would have held value at some point. I recall when 65's were fetching $24K or so back in 2006. 64's were up to $14,000+.
    Today the 64's are around half that price. They have fallen consistently over the past 5 yrs. Hardly a track record of confidence as the price of gold more than doubled. $3's
    are obviously 99% tied to the rare coin market, not the gold market. Even today, $7K for an MS64 is a lot of money for a relatively available type coin. For total pops the $3 gold
    piece compares with the more in demand MS64 Capped Bust Half ($3200-$4500)

The lower grade $3's have done better but still lost value, at least for common dates.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold