Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

St George Patron of Knights

harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
I fell in love with this design when I first saw it back in 2006. I had won the older sample as part of a general lot of old medals.
I then came across the more "modern" version and sought it as a complement to the former.

imageimage

imageimage

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool medals. I like that design as well. Weren't these given away as a good luck charm to travelers?
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That is a very nice design.
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    BEAUTIFUL design !!!!!
  • Options
    Weren't these given away as a good luck charm to travelers?

Don't know, but probably would have been an pricey good luck charm. I have seen images of the latter piece in gold. Maybe they were given as tokens to members of some knightly order. Or maybe there was an anticipation of a Harry Potter spell. Expecto patronum!

DPOTD
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool coins!
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat medals. On the newer version lettering, interesting that they used one V and the rest of the time they used a U. I wonder what was up with that. How new is the "newer" version?
  • Options
    The older version supposedly was struck around 1700. The latter version, around 1800.

I should add, though I am no expert, that the "newer" strike may have been a private issue of sorts. Someone with better references may know how and if the mint in Kremnitz was involved.

DPOTD
  • Options
    On the 1800 version, what are the letters near the bottom of the obverse? I don't see them on the older one.
  • Options
    The creator of the updated medal, Becker. From what I was told, the same Becker whose reproductions of ancient coins sell as well as some ancients.

DPOTD
  • Options
    That does explain the apparent quality and detail of the newer version. Very nice.

Becker's ancient coins sell for more than the originals is what I have heard but the experts would have to chime in for the real truth.