Home Precious Metals
Options

Some new gold bullion

These just came in yesterday, 1911 and '18 Sydney ,1925 South Africa, and 1910 and '15 London, all Sovereigns.

Comments

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JCM, those are nice sovereigns. image

I've noticed that 1/2 sovs and sovs don't command steep premiums.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Your are correct, and that's the reason I buy them. I have been able to get these and a bunch of 1925's in MS66 for 5-10% over melt so I have developed a liking for them. The earlier Victoria pieces are starting to get significant premiums now though. The other I like for the low premiums are the Swiss and French (Rooster) 20 franc pieces.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Sovereigns, but may I ask a serious question? Why bother to have them slabbed? They're just pretty bullion.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love Sovereigns, but may I ask a serious question? Why bother to have them slabbed? They're just pretty bullion.
    TD >>

I think they came already slabbed when he bought them. The person who originally slabbed them probably did so as a marketing tool since sovereigns have been heavily counterfeited.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Perry is correct, I don't get them slabbed, just buy them that way. As long as I buy the 64 and up grades for 10% or less over melt I feel like it is cheap insurance, and hopefully makes it easier to get a realistic price for them if I ever need to sell them. But for the people that do slab them it seems like a smarter thing than slabbing modern Eagles and such.