Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Can anyone identify the year of this Yankees ticket?

I have a full ticket from the Yankees American League Championship Series - I assume it's from the 70's, but it does not have the year on it anywhere. I am wondering if anyone could identify the year or is this possibly a phantom ticket? The ticket price of $5 for a Lower Stand Reserve Seat seems awful low for a playoff game - even back in the 70's. I looked on ebay, but didn't see one like this from either 76 or 77, or 80 - possibly it is from 78?

Any help?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    That baseball logo was late 60's-early 70's. The Killebrew logo would have been on a later 70's ticket. My first thought was 76, but the 70 Yankees finished second and going on your price thought, if legit, could be from the 1970 ALCS if the Yankees had made it.

A 76 ticket probably would have had some sort of bicentennial logo on it and after that, the current MLB logo would have been on it.
  • Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply - I was trying to pinpoint that "baseball" logo too. The 76 ticket does have a bicentennial logo on it, so I know it's not that one. I think it has to be a phantom ticket from the early 70's, based on the price.
  • Options
    The sales tax puts at it 7% so that puts the timeframe between 71 and 73.

From 1971-1973 the NYC tax was 3% while the NYState tax was 4%. That equals 7%

74-80 was 4% and 4% resp. (8%) while 69-70 was 3% and 3% resp. (6%)
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    Definitely pre-renovation Stadium. That section would have been referred to as "Main Reserve" starting in 1976.
  • Options
    Great info from everyone - I knew this would be the place to ask.

Thanks
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure that is from 1972 and is a phantom ticket authorized for printing by MLB as the Yankees were in contention until the last week or so of the season...
  • Options
    Scan of the back for more clues?
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.....The Killebrew logo would have been .......... >>

You know the Harmon-Killebrew-is-the-MLB-icon is a baseball urban legend, right?

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a Yankees 1972 "World Series" phantom ticket - I think Scott is probably right.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8301873
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    This is pretty much the same style as the 1973 Mets WS tickets so I think the 1971-73 period is about right.

Five bucks for a World Series game...sheesh.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the additional theories and info.

Hotmush - the back on this is blank (which leads me to believe even more that it's a phantom ticket).

Based on the price, I'd say it is definitely early-70's. !972 may be right.

THanks
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭✭
    another key/clue for the year is that it would have to be a year wherein the AL East Champ would host game 3 of the ALCS

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>another key/clue for the year is that it would have to be a year wherein the AL East Champ would host game 3 of the ALCS

IMF >>

It wouldn't help. Teams would print 4 potential home games for each series. If they only had three games, the Game 4 would become a phantom. If they missed the playoffs or the following round, then those became phantoms, too.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just a shame that in every year there weren't Yankees phantom tickets. image
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

<< <i> From 1971-1973 the NYC tax was 3% while the NYState tax was 4%. That equals 7% >>

In 1971, the Yankees were 82-80, 21 games back -- doubt there were playoff thoughts
    In 1972, they were 79-76, only 6.5 games back -- possibly
    In 1973, they were 80-82, 17 games back -- see 1971 theory

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>another key/clue for the year is that it would have to be a year wherein the AL East Champ would host game 3 of the ALCS

IMF >>

It wouldn't help. Teams would print 4 potential home games for each series. If they only had three games, the Game 4 would become a phantom. If they missed the playoffs or the following round, then those became phantoms, too. >>

Back then the ALCS/NLCS was best of 5 (not 7); ..........Game 3 ticket would be the first game at AL East Stadium in alternating years (obviously if the team didn't win the division, they all would be phantoms)

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭

<< <i>It's just a shame that in every year there weren't Yankees phantom tickets. image >>

Boo! Hiss!
  • Options

<< <i>Back then the ALCS/NLCS was best of 5 (not 7); ..........Game 3 ticket would be the first game at AL East Stadium in alternating years (obviously if the team didn't win the division, they all would be phantoms) >>

Very true, and I don't think they were printing the tickets with the format of "Home Game 1," "Home Game 2," "Home Game 3," etc. like they do now. That started in the 1990s, partially as a result of TV contracts giving Fox the power to have starting times (and in some cases, even dates) of games changed. But even moreso, it was a result of teams not knowing whether they'd have home field advantage in any given playoff round at the time they sold and printed tickets, hence the need for "ALCS Home Game 4" to be the equivalent of Game 7.

In 1972, everyone knew the first two ALCS games would be hosted by the winner of the west and the last three games would be hosted by the winner of the east. Therefore, "Game 3" really means just that, not "Home Game 3." There was no need for such complications back then. It was a simpler time, that's for sure.