Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Counterfeit Philippine Pesos on ebay

Item location is listed as Spain, and I assume much of the description is in Spanish, so I can't tell is the seller is acknowledging these Pesos are counterfeit. Even so, I don't know how the claim can be made that the 11 items pictured contain 190 gr silver. That would equate to 17.27 gr each, and though a real 1903 Peso contains 24.26 gr silver, I doubt the counterfeiter used that much silver (if any) to make his pieces. Also, the work on the reverse (dated side) is simply not good enough to pass muster with collectors, so expected silver content would be the only thing the defrauder would have to pitch as the appeal.

The listing title PHILIPPINES NOT ORIGINAL ONE DOLLAR 190grSILVER may be the seller's attempt to list an honest auction by stating "NOT ORIGINAL", so I am not ready to charge him with dishonesty, but it certainly isn't clear to me, since I can't read Spanish.

Comments

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    there is nothing in the description that says anything about the coins listed,
    just a lot of talk about shipping conditions.
    first line is about multiple winnings will ship in one parcel.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

No, he doesn't say anything in Spanish about them being fake, but I think "Not Original" in the title makes it pretty clear. He should have said "Imitacion" somewhere in his description. BTW, they look awful!

• Options
    I received an email response from the seller, and he indicates he can't use the word "counterfeit". Perhaps ebay won't allow him to use the word? I don't know. I suggested he try "not genuine" or "imitacion" as FilamCoins sugested.

He stated he was selling them for metal content only. I believe he is an honest seller.

Here's his response in full.

<< <i>hi, although the coins are false can not put that word on ebay. I sell the metal as they are false in silver. its weight does not reach the weight of the original coins. I repeat the metal sold. bets regards adolfo >>