Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

#1 commem set viewable for a time.

For those interested, the top 50pc and 144pc commem sets are viewable.
Link

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! That 38-D Boone and California (both in MS68) must be breathtaking! I didn't even know there was a California above MS67.

peacockcoins

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭
    Someday the coingods will give me the ability to scan and post, but until then, "it's a beaut" will have to suffice.
    A story: Why do I collect top commems? When I was about 6 years old, my mother showed me all her collected coins. One was a circulated Calif. commem. I polished it with silver polish to a point of great lustre. She appreciated it.
    When I was about 13, after reading a year of Coins, Coinage, and Coin World, I realized what a boo-boo I had made.
    Therefore, one of the first top pop commems I purchased was the ms68 California. This made me feel much better, as I thought I had made up for my boo-boo. (I happened to have an ms68 pop1 Texas I got from Larry Abbott, years ago, before he went to Heritage, and those two coins started the 144 pc. set.)
    My mom doesn't remember the Calif. "we" polished, and doesn't have much appreciation for my 144pc set. She is a stamp collector, and has a top notch set. I'm told it's "world complete" from birth ('33), specializing in pre-US Hawaiian, missing an upside-down airplane or something like that. I don't know what all that means, other than that my top pop California is meaningless to her. Oh Well. image
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Have you offered to bleach her stamps? image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    No, I took all the "loose" ones and licked them and stuck them on the cover of her album. I thought she'd appreciate it, but...
  • Options
    Wow is all I can say!!!!
    I was really proud I had saved up and just added a 65 Pan-Pac to my #6 set, but I'm glad I have no misconceptions of ever challenging your set.
    How long have you worked on your set and what have been some of the tougher coins to find?
  • Options
    This has been in process for under five years, and the toughest coins are the ones I have yet to find, namely a couple of simple Boone issues in 7. The '38p issues in general, (Boone, TX, etc.) are all toughies. Really nice Isabellas in 7 are difficult to find. And as I have said numerous times, the BTW and W-Cs are extremely hard to find "nice" in 7.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve- You hit that nail on the head. There are MS67 Commemoratives and there are "NICE" 67's. The difference between the two is hugh.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Steve that is a great set and thanks for sharing. NOW get those pictures in there.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    WOW is all I can say....what a phenominal set, congratulations. I'd love to see a scan of the 53-S Washington Carver.

Since I have a lot of time on my hands.......everyone should know this about your 144 pc. set....
    98 commems with none graded higher
    39 commems with 4 or less graded higher
    only 7 commems with 5-8 graded higher

Just truly AMAZING!!!!!!
    Don

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, amazing.

(Steve -- one question -- I gather you are not a perfectionist)

By the way, one technical observation about the statistics for the 50 piece set. For coins with multiple dates, PCGS lists as the population the population for that date only. Probably PCGS's software cannot handle it, but it would make more sense to sum the populations for all coins within the variety. Registry's 1939-D Oregon is the finest known of that date, but one coin has graded MS69!

(Steve -- second question -- a real one -- have you seen the MS69 Oregon? If so, does it have any flaws visible with the naked eye? Could it be viewed as the finest known?)

Higashiyama
  • Options
    BRdudeBRdude Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    What a set Steve. I can only dreeam of getting some of those coins, and will have to stick to my 63/64/65/66 set and do the best I can. Congrats for sure!image
    AKA kokimoki
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Join the NRA and protect YOUR right to keep and bear arms
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
    [L]http://www.ourfallensoldier.com/ThompsonMichaelE_MemorialPage.html[L]
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Great Set! How long did it take to put together?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    Its got to be a great set Steve, We would love to see some pics, and im glad your not doing the Kennedys again or my competition would be that much more difficult as now im going for the # 2 spot in MS. (again). As Mr Greens set in the # 1 spot is impossible to beat.....

congratulations or your set......
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve:

From your descriptions, it seems the majority of the coins are white or toned only slightly. Is that a fair assessment? And were you looking for mainly white coins or is it the case that you found most of the ultra-high graded coins were white?

Mark

P.S.: Your comment about licking your Mom's stamps was great. I imagine she would respond with a remark about how she used one of your halves to pay for the postage on some letter she had sent.
    Mark

• Options
    keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    Steve,

With a set as nice as that, you would think that some major coin company would come and visit you and be the Official Imager of your collection. Transporting a laptop and a scanner or digital camera would not be a problem.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    Thanks for all your nice comments. The set has been a work in process for about four or so years. It seemed appropriate at the time to switch from those completed sets I had, to the commems. I would think that some of the tougher top grade coins are even tougher to pry loose today.
    The ms69s for example, are in some very strong hands, hands so strong, the owner probably is an ex-pro football player. I would love to see them. Perhaps he would put up a scan here. I believe he is a forum member.
    I am glad Mr. Green has not yet chosen to collect Commems. I think my Kennedy set would still be #2, or #3 if I had the 2001... additions, but I'd hate to try now to be #1. Rich and I have had some very fun competition in the Roosies and Wash Qtrs.
    I chose white and lightly, or rim-toned commems because I thought the 144pc. set would show better. I like the distinction of the monster toned coins, but thought they would detract from the "look" of the set as a whole (I assumed that I couldn't have all monster toned coins, like the Shepherd Collection, and some others) At the time I began there wasn't that huge of a price difference between white and toned. Looking back, I am happy with the choice.
    I am working on getting pix up. Mike Printz at Larry Whitlow, Ltd. has been nice enough to offer to put up scans for me. He does do one of the best jobs scanning coins in the biz. I am concerned about transportation and insurance, but may take him up on a few choice coins, like the '53s. It isn't of the same value as, say the Lafayette, but, nevertheless it would hurt just as much to lose it in transit.
    Trust me, I'm working on pix. (One of our fellow board members came by the other day to pick up a couple pcgs boxes. I had other things to do, and couldn't meet him personally, but I did ask about his scanning abilities. Since he had none, the two year old's doctor appt. took priority.) image Just kidding. I look forward to meeting you Barney.
    Thanks again for your nice responses.
  • Options
    Mike Printz at Larry Whitlow, Ltd. has agreed to scan and post pix of my commems. This will be a long process due to mailing costs and insurance restrictions, but I hope to start in a week or two. I'll start with the end of the alphabet to let us see the BTWs and W-Cs we have been discussing lately. Thanks for your patience with this project. Thank you Mike, for your most kind offer. image
  • Options
    looking forward to seeing the set!!!!!!!!

again congratulations,
    great set by the numbers....
  • Options
    FinallyHereFinallyHere Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    Steve,

You're most welcome for the offer to image your coins. Even though I was able to help place a few great coins into this wonderful set, I am very much looking forward to seeing most if not all of the coins first hand. It will be a great treat for me to help, and I'm glad you are taking me up on the offer.

Mike
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins
  • Options
    Sounds like an awesome set. I can't wait to see the scans! It is great to know they are coming.
  • Options
    I have to say that Mike, as well as putting up the best scans, and selling top-notch commems, was the only dealer to make such an offer. Heritage tried an "underhanded" tactic, in my personal opinion, to attract me to their auction dept., looking forward only to the sale of my set. Other auction companies have offered legitimate perks for the right to auction my coins. Mike has made a "no strings attached" offer to do me a favor. I really respect this. Thanks, again, Mike. Shipments will begin early next week. Yippee. image