Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone Ever Go To Celebrity Golf Tournaments?

I was thinking of getting out of the house in a couple weeks and the Tahoe Celebrity Golf Tourney would be a nice place to go to. There is a nice list of celebrities there and I think that it would be cool to get some nice autographs. I'd like the autos to be on trading cards, but it seems like "sports collectibles" is on the prohibited list. Do you think this is a strict rule? If I can't get items signed on trading cards or sports collectibles then I am much less likely to go.... Does anyone have any experiences to share?
BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Get in touch with Mike (VitoCo1972) as he goes to a lot of golf tourneys for autos!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Rob,

At that tourney, I've been told they clamp down on you if you try to take in bulky things like basketballs, footballs, helmets, etc. That being said, that tourney is a tremendous one to get graphs on cards. Some of those guys are willing signers and sign a ton, and even Jordan has been known to sign a few here and there. A lot of people have success with jerseys by wearing them under your shirt. If you are going and are going to avidly chase graphs, I'll pay you to get some for me. There are a few runners on SCN that graph the tourney, but if you are going to be serious about scoring graphs and are going to try more than one day, I'd rather pay you then someone I don't know. Let me know if you are game and I'll start working on some of the raw cards to send out to you. There are several there that I'd like to get. One of these years, I'll make the trek for myself and will graph all the days to make it worth my while.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I was over that way in 1997 or so and it seemed really easy to get good autographs...I got Lou Holtz, Charles Barkley, Mario LeMieux, Oscar De La Hoya, it just seemed easy. It wasn't a planned trip so I just had them sign the program or my ticket at the time. Charles almost hit me with his golf ball which would have been a good story and not too far fetched. PM me, I am no expert and there might be other more qualified guys to get graphs... but it could be a lot of fun though too and I imagine that I could do okay.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    i was considering going to the brian grant golf tourney, the money goes to a great charity. just for the graphs..michael j. fox for one!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I'm told that Tahoe tournament is a madhouse for autograph seekers. If you have the stomach to hang with a couple hundred resellers who do it for a (at least a partial) living, give it a whirl. I usually only to to PGA Tour golf tournaments. The PGA pros are 1 bad apple for every 50 guys. It's a good time.
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    The Tahoe event is a great opportunity to get some really nice graphs. If you can have the patience and the stomach to deal with the rude pushy dealers you should be able to come out with some nice autos.
  • Options
    Had a good time today........got a late start...

The program was signed by Joe Carter and Joe Sakic....gonna give this to a huge Sakic fan after the tourney

Got a golf flag signed by Emmitt Smith (only signing tourney items), Ken Whisenhunt, Robbie Gould, John O'Hurley, David Wells, Bode Miller, Jeremy Roenick, Bret Saberhagen, Vinny Testaverde, Mark Rypien, Mike Eruzione, Alphonso Ribiero, and Billy Joe Tolliver.

Got trading cards signed by Greg Maddux, John Smoltz, Vince Coleman (boyhood favorite player and had a photo along with his 85 Topps Traded card), and Mark Mulder from the Upper Deck World Series set hitting a homer of all things..........and Lou Holtz.

Good times and I am learning the landscape.......

One worker wanted to confiscate my cards which is ridiculous as there are huge photos and jerseys everywhere....I told him that I would just take them back to the car.........I didn't start yet, but I was trying to get a Dale Jarrett RC signed.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Sounds like you had a good time! Glad you enjoyed your day.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭
    Usually a great time at the Tahoe tournament but there are many big time collectors/dealers there. As for Brian Grant's, I just read that no current players can attend it as Grant works for the Blazers. Heck, I heard that Jordan can't have any current NBAers in his golf group even all because of the lockout.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Had a good time today........got a late start...

The program was signed by Joe Carter and Joe Sakic....gonna give this to a huge Sakic fan after the tourney

Got a golf flag signed by Emmitt Smith (only signing tourney items), Ken Whisenhunt, Robbie Gould, John O'Hurley, David Wells, Bode Miller, Jeremy Roenick, Bret Saberhagen, Vinny Testaverde, Mark Rypien, Mike Eruzione, Alphonso Ribiero, and Billy Joe Tolliver.

Got trading cards signed by Greg Maddux, John Smoltz, Vince Coleman (boyhood favorite player and had a photo along with his 85 Topps Traded card), and Mark Mulder from the Upper Deck World Series set hitting a homer of all things..........and Lou Holtz.

Good times and I am learning the landscape.......

One worker wanted to confiscate my cards which is ridiculous as there are huge photos and jerseys everywhere....I told him that I would just take them back to the car.........I didn't start yet, but I was trying to get a Dale Jarrett RC signed. >>

Sounds like a great start! Go Lou Holtz!
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    I want to get there to that tourney. Sounds like a successful day!!! Hope tomorrow is even better!!

Enjoy.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meat Mickey mantle, David robinson, Mike Schmidt, Willie Nelson, Earl Campbell along with a few other back when I first started collecting. Still have all the autos I got that day including 2 Mantle Baseballs.
    Best time I ever had seeing so many stars.
  • Options
    There were about 30 guys practicing today and I got 20 of them and did not start until about 11 in the morning although I could have started at 7 I believe. I drove in three and a half hours this morning..... there are many "sharks" here getting graphs.......
  • Options
    DAY TWO
    Program signed by John Elway, Brett Hull, Dan Quinn, Jeremy Roenick, Mark Rypien, Matt Schaub, Sterling Sharpe, Emmitt Smith.....gonna give this to my girlfriend's stepdad. He is a huge hockey fan and loves the Avalanche as he lived in Denver for quite some time and now lives in Texas.....already had Sakic and Carter in there from day one.

Trading card haul included a Bowman RC of Aaron Rodgers, 92 Stadium Club of Martin Brodeur, 1988 Maxx of Dale Jarrett, (2) 1983 Topps Greatest Olympians of Mike Eruzione, 1980 Topps Joe Theismann, 2007 Topps Chrome of AJ Hawk. Steve Spurrier refused to sign his trading card when there was only four people present at the distant edge of the golf course saying it was against the rules. I was wearing a San Francisco 49ers shirt as well.....

On the golf flag I got Steve Spurrier, Tim Brown, Jamie Moyer, Dan Quayle (trading cards came in the day I left, seller was in Canada...ugh, took photo with me though), Charles Barkley, Marcus Allen, Dennis Haysbert, Trent Dilfer, Goose Gossage, Kyle Boller, Shane Battier,

DAY ONE TOTAL

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    great score!!

You must have had a blast

• Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Nice haul!! Was Elway only signing the program provided by the tournament? A SCN member was taking a RC for me on consignment and I am really hoping he can get it signed for me so I don't have to pay his astronomical signing fee at the Nationals.
  • Options
    I am unsure what Elway thought about signing cards..... he seemed to be pretty accommodating though to the crowd. He signed a football and jersey for a few fans and I was only around him for a couple holes. I had a RC but decided to take the easy route and just get the sig in the program as it was appropriate for the person I was giving the item to.

• Options
    I did have a pretty decent haul and could have did better, but I had to juggle time with the girlfriend as well :-). It would have been a little simpler to get there when the gates opened or stayed late into the afternoon as the middle of the day had some big crowds even for the practice rounds.
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Did you see Joe Sakic get the hole in one for $1,000,000 bucks
    Link
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    I had the pleasure of playing blackjack with Mario Lemieux at that tournament years ago. He signed something the first time, but
    after a bad round of golf, he wasn't so happy the next day, as he was all alone and his caddy was at another table, and he pretty much
    kept to himself.

All the guys were great about signing, but Michael Jordan has his own room for gambling, away from the public, so he was tough to get.

It's a great tournament for autos, but just look out for trying to get too many from one guy, as some don't like that. Maybe send your
    wife if you want a second one.

Good luck, and enjoy !!!
  • Options
    I didn't see that....I was only there for a few of the practice rounds. I did get his auto and got a picture with him. Seems like a pretty great guy.