Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Place to get higher quality proof Lincolns

I have been absent for a while and I have searched and searched looking for the persons name who always has nice matte ptrrof Lincolns and nice proofs for sale on his website. At one time he had a 1909VDB proof and a 1916. If anyone knows who I am talking about, I would appreciate the link. I am trying to upgrade some coins for my set and he always had some quality coins but I cant find it anywere.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Coin collecting is the only hobby were you can spend all your money collecting them but you will never be broke

Comments

• robecrobec Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're probably thinking of Brian Wagner. I believe that Rick Snow is helping Brian with his listings on Rick's site.
  • FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    Heritage will have a 1909 VDB MPL 66 RB in it's Platinum auction in Chicago this August.

I have brought some nice MPL from Brian Wagner and Andy at Angel Dee's coins.

Collector
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    While I've not purchased MPLs from Brian, I have purchased a coin from him in the past (a proof IHC) and had a very good experience. Good luck in your search...Mike

http://www.bwrarecoins.com/
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
    This was on Brian's site a few days ago. It's off the site now for what it's worth.

• Thanks for the help guys. I will take a look at the sites yall showed me and see what is available.
    Coin collecting is the only hobby were you can spend all your money collecting them but you will never be broke
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first thought after reading the OP was Angel Dee's. I don't think I've ever seen a matte proof in Andy's case that I didn't think was a nice coin for the grade. It appears that they have a 1909 VDB in PCGS PR65RB stickered by CAC available right now as well. For coins not listed in inventory, I've found that they also do a great job assisting collectors via their want list. Definitely worth looking into if you're trying to get nice matte proofs.

• renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Heritage will have a 1909 VDB MPL 66 RB in it's Platinum auction in Chicago this August. >>

Sounds exciting, but alas, the coin is graded by NGC, so it might as well be raw. As this is a PCGS forum, I think it bears mentioning.
  • Heath:
    As others have already stated, contact Brian Wagner, BWRC. He has the finest eye in the business for evaluating MPL's. He just helped me complete the McCullagh Collection, the PCGS #1 Finest All Time Colorless (Tioned) Matte Proof Lincoln Registry Set. Knowing Brian, he probably has coins available that are not listed on his site, or knows where to go to find them. There is no one better.. Good hunting!
    Jonathan
  • FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

As for a coin in any holder, I buy the coin not the holder.
    Collector

<< <i>As for a coin in any holder, I buy the coin not the holder. >>

Ask Jonathan. His Pop 1/0 1909 VDB was in an NGC holder. Check his avatar.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM sent about a stunning beauty on Ebay. image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>As for a coin in any holder, I buy the coin not the holder. >>

Ask Jonathan. His Pop 1/0 1909 VDB was in an NGC holder. Check his avatar. >>

Yes, we know that, but NOW it's in a PCGS holder. And unless it crosses, it may as well be raw, at least to any PCGS registry collector, or anyone that cares about maximizing their proceeds at auction. Even if the coin is all there, it won't get the same attention that a PCGS coin would.

• << <i>My first thought after reading the OP was Angel Dee's. I don't think I've ever seen a matte proof in Andy's case that I didn't think was a nice coin for the grade. It appears that they have a 1909 VDB in PCGS PR65RB stickered by CAC available right now as well. For coins not listed in inventory, I've found that they also do a great job assisting collectors via their want list. Definitely worth looking into if you're trying to get nice matte proofs.

image >>

These were my thoughts exactly. Andy and Alynne are fantastic. Andy has a great eye for copper, I've bought several Indians and a MPL or two from him.
  • Thanks again guys. I will definately get in touch with Brian and see if he can give me a hand in selecting some coins. I really appreciate all the input

• << <i>

<< <i>My first thought after reading the OP was Angel Dee's. I don't think I've ever seen a matte proof in Andy's case that I didn't think was a nice coin for the grade. It appears that they have a 1909 VDB in PCGS PR65RB stickered by CAC available right now as well. For coins not listed in inventory, I've found that they also do a great job assisting collectors via their want list. Definitely worth looking into if you're trying to get nice matte proofs.

image >>

These were my thoughts exactly. Andy and Alynne are fantastic. Andy has a great eye for copper, I've bought several Indians and a MPL or two from him. >>

I saw that on angel dees website but it is definately out of my league. I will probably not be able to get a VDB or 1916 in high grades for a long time. I would love to look at it though