Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Kennedy Silver Proof composite ?

For all of you Kennedy half collectors out there, I have a question/poll regarding the "Kennedy Half Dollars Basic Silver Set, Proof (1964, 1992-Present)" composite... What are your thoughts--positive or negative--regarding the exclusion (or possible future inclusion) of the '76-S bicentennial silver half (coin #s 6812, 86812, 96812) in this set. Would like your opinions...

pws

Comments

• Options
    CalebCaleb Posts: 739
    If you added the 1976-S Silver proof, would you also add the 1965 - 1967 SMS? They are all 40% silver. image
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Bicentennial silver proof should be included but the SMS should not, as they are not proofs.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options

<< <i>If you added the 1976-S Silver proof, would you also add the 1965 - 1967 SMS? They are all 40% silver. image >>

Caleb:

For me personally, I'm not a big advocate of having the SMS coins included in ANY of the proof sets, but I also understand the counterpoint... If not included here, where then? They're not a good "fit" in the biz strikes set either. This, however, is a completely different topic...

To your question, no. I do not think the SMS coins should be included. Conversely, however, I one could also advocate for the remainder of the 40% silver coins (1968-'70) to be included as well. PCGS does not differentiate between the 40% and 90% silver coins in the "silver short sets". Why split hairs in the "complete" silver set?

pws
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If you added the 1976-S Silver proof, would you also add the 1965 - 1967 SMS? They are all 40% silver. image >>

Caleb:

For me personally, I'm not a big advocate of having the SMS coins included in ANY of the proof sets, but I also understand the counterpoint... If not included here, where then? They're not a good "fit" in the biz strikes set either. This, however, is a completely different topic...

To your question, no. I do not think the SMS coins should be included. Conversely, however, I one could also advocate for the remainder of the 40% silver coins (1968-'70) to be included as well. PCGS does not differentiate between the 40% and 90% silver coins in the "silver short sets". Why split hairs in the "complete" silver set?

pws >>

Yeah, I agree with all of the above. The SMS coins are included as a "poor man's proof," and they have never been an easy fit, just as collectors didn't much care for them at the time they came out. I know, I was there! But they are included in the interest of completeness. For most of U.S. coinage, it is a proof or it ain't ... unless it's an SMS. Good luck to everybody on the Registry Sets!
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.