Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

US Pattern Questions

RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
It is generally accepted that the 1854 J-159a electrotype is a Mint-made electro. My first question is what has led experts to the conclusion that this was Mint-made? My second question is, if it is true that the J-159a is Mint-made, is there any reason to believe the Mint did not make electro's of the J-160 and J-163? If there is a reason to believe they did not do so, what is that reason?

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I know that the mint did make electro's of several of their patterns - whether the Mint recorded creating electro's is another debate entirely.

Can't help you with your specific question, but MrEureka should be around here shortly image
  • Options

<< <i>I know that the mint did make electro's of several of their patterns - whether the Mint recorded creating electro's is another debate entirely.

Can't help you with your specific question, but MrEureka should be around here shortly image >>

waiting for his phone call as we speak/write.image
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is generally accepted that the 1854 J-159a electrotype is a Mint-made electro.

It used to be generally accepted. Now, we're not even sure if they're really electrotypes. The seams on these coins may have been caused in some other way. One possibility is that the coins are copper-plated. More tests need to be done.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>J-159A on Heritage >>

Thanks Rick. Is your word processor warm?
  • Options

<< <i> It is generally accepted that the 1854 J-159a electrotype is a Mint-made electro.

It used to be generally accepted. Now, we're not even sure if they're really electrotypes. The seams on these coins may have been caused in some other way. One possibility is that the coins are copper-plated. More tests need to be done. >>

... and the plot thickens...
  • Options
    More tests need to be done

What tests need to be done?
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What tests need to be done?

For starters, I'd want to compare the specific gravity of the copper/bronze pieces that have a seam with the ones that don't (if they exist), and with the white metal ones.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file