Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1964 Bazooka Stamps Mantle panel

I have this panel that was mixed in the large vintag collection I picked up:

The Mantle stamp looks pretty good and I want to seperate it and submit it for grading. Any ideas on how to carefully remove it? Scissors maybe?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    I dont know much about these but if you seperate them, looks like the Mantle will be O/C..
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    You can use a razor blade to cut down the middle of the perforation, but be sure to leave the perforation intact.

If there are no bends in the Mantle stamp, it should get a PSA 7 minimum, which is about a $300 item. It might even look better if you leave the left-hand side of the panel connected to the Mantle. Makes it look not so O/C. Like this:

This PSA 8 went for $400 in March
  • Options
    cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    that panel is incomplete
    the whole panel has 10 or 12 stamps

pretty cool item

I think PSA with grade them like that
    you may be better offer separating the mantle and grading as a single stamp b/c of the upper right crease on the rollins
    Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options
    cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    hey hammered
    are you sure you can use a blade to separate the stamps for PSA grading ?
    I know they will not grade cut 1971 dell perforated stamps for instance
    Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I agree with the question DOC has brought up. For some reason I thought that perforated items were better off being carefully torn apart and not cut in any way. I am not 100% sure, but find out definitively before doing ANYTHING to that beauty!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>hey hammered
    are you sure you can use a blade to separate the stamps for PSA grading ?
    I know they will not grade cut 1971 dell perforated stamps for instance >>

I bought a perforated sheet of Chef Boy-R-Dee cards awhile back and tried to separate them by hand first, didn't work, so I carefully cut along the middle of the perforations, leaving the perforation tabs in place on the cards I wanted to grade. I ended up subbing 3 and they got 8, 8, and 9. Small value items, though. Since the Mantle stamp has significant value, the OP might want to find someone who has successfully separated these stamps.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I would sub all four separate, but they can be subbed in singles, pairs, and fours. Check out the population for this set. There have been 18 single Mantles graded, with seven 8s, four 9s, and zero 10s.

Like others said, I wouldn't touch it until you hear from others who have graded these successfully. Either that, or ask Joe Orlando how these should be cut.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information, guys. I think I'll make a call to PSA and ask them directly. Anyone I should ask to speak with when I call?
  • Options
    I kind of forgot about this topic. Does anyone have any experience with seperating stamps from panels such as this? I'm tempted to cut down the center of the perferation as suggested above, but I'm a little nervous about it. Would it be safer to contact PSA before I do anything?

Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not 100% sure either and I have never seperated these 1964 Bazooka stamps before, but I always thought that perferated items were supposed to be bent back and forth until you could manually seperate the items. Bazooka boxes or hostess boxes with the dashed lines are supposed to be hand cut with a knife or scissors.

That's my thinking anyways...Donato

PS...I would call PSA to be sure.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seem to remember a thread discussing this topic that advised against cutting, the topic involved cards though, thicker and less delicate. Item should be gently folded along perforation, back and forth, and gently torn apart. One person claimed that cutting them might result in PSA refusing to grade. Either way I agree that if you separate, keep the "extra" border next to left side of the Mantle.
    Good luck on this very nice item!image
    Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Ok, so I practiced seperating another Bazooka panel that I had with these results. How do these perferations look?