Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1798 Russia copper ?

I know this is kinda dumb but how do you tell the demonination on these things ? From looking at a few pictures of the 4 kopek I see the 4 stars but is this a 1 kopek or 1/2 kopek?

thanks
Ken
If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the denomination is written under the dragon? But then again, I can't read Russian.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I am fairly certain this is a Denga (1/2 Kopek)

Chris

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options

<< <i>I am fairly certain this is a Denga (1/2 Kopek)

Chris >>

Catherine II minted at Ekaterinburg.

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54

• Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    The thing that was throwing me is this piece weighs 5.4 grams and the ones I could find weights for on the internet were about 4
  • Options
    Krause lists the weight of 1/2 kopeks of this era as 6.4 grams

• Options
    Yes I think you're right It's the 1/4 kopek that was 3. something grams and the half kopek was 6.4 and this piece is 5.39 kinda in the middle and I don't know how to determine the denomination image
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can determine what was meant to be the denomination by reading what remains of the text on the front of the coin with St. George slaying the dragon, "kopeika" which is singular of kopek in Russian. In numeric ordinals in Russian 1 kopek is kopeika, 2 kopeks are 2 kopeiki, 5 kopeks are 5 kopeikiy etc. If this was a polushka or denga/denezhka it would read those and not kopek on coins from this era.

A descriptive word ending in "a" is most always singular, implying one. Words ending in "и" or "ий" are plural.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can determine what was meant to be the denomination by reading what remains of the text on the front of the coin with St. George slaying the dragon, "kopeika" which is singular of kopek in Russian. In numeric ordinals in Russian 1 kopek is kopeika, 2 kopeks are 2 kopeiki, 5 kopeks are 5 kopeikiy etc. If this was a polushka or denga/denezhka it would read those and not kopek on coins from this era.

A descriptive word ending in "a" is most always singular, implying one. Words ending in "¨¨" or "¨¨¨¦" are plural. >>

Yup, the denomination on that coin is Kopeika (1 kopek). SaorAlba nailed it. The weight difference is interesting.
  • Options
    Oh, but also I need add that back in Tsarist era plural words could end in "ь" or sometimes even "ы" which is a more silent character. It was practically only good result of communism was simplification of alphabet.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    So is this a kopek struck on wrong planchet or was the quality control that bad lol
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Quality control just that bad.
  • Options

<< <i>Quality control just that bad. >>

слишком многа водка в этот день ~ too much vodka that day.