Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone ever bought from theconsignmenthub off ebay?

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just wonder how the purchase finalized upon receipt of coin from theconsignmenthub. The photos look somewhat strange and the prices seem to be extremely low for the coins. Just curious as to whether anyone here had finalized purchases from them off ebay.
Thanks
Jim

edited to correct the seller's name--my apologies---Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The seller UserID you entered was not found. >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I have bought from them at least once. They are, as the name implies, an eBay consignment dealer, so they offer just what people bring to them. They tend to have raw coins, but as a die marriage collector, this invariably means that what they offer are unattributed coins, as well. The one coin that I bought from them was an 1800 LM-2/V3, a high R7 coin, which was cherry-picked from their offerings on eBay. Of course I was delighted to obtain the extremely rare coin, which was exactly as described and purchased without any problem. The Consignment Hub was cordial and responsive in my dealings with them, and I would recommend them. I certainly look at any half dimes they offer, and would do business with them again.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    You weren't kidding about that seller's images. This neg says it all:

<< <i>Sells whizzed coins polished with a wire wheel! Do no business with this seller! >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>One of the worst Ebay sellers for coins that I've seen is Great Southern Coin. Tons of cleaned and over graded stuff yet they have 100% positive feedback. >>

Volume hides a lot. They have 38 neutrals, 10 negs, and 38 feedback revisions in the past 12 months. But, the only thing anybody looks at is that 100%.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    I dealt with them once. The package, which was a roll of ASE's (this is about a year ago) was accidentally sent to WA, and not MA. The package was not recovered (they used UPS at that time, not sure if they still use that or not), yet they sent me a replacement, and not a refund, which I found impressive for a consignor. The person I dealt with on the phone could not have been nicer, as I wasn't very happy when they answered the phone (admittedly, I was a bit ticked off, but given they put the correct name, correct street address, but the city and state and zip got mixed up...how that happened, when it was a confirmed Paypal payment, and they had the proper shipping info on hand, well, obviously the person shipping it got it messed up)....when I hung up, I was much calmer, as they resolved it with overnight shipping on the replacement. I only used them once, but it's only due to my not finding anything I have been interested in. Given that one transaction, the way they righted their wrong, I wouldn't hesitate to deal with them again. But as I said, they used UPS at that time, and I'm not enthusiastic with UPS if an item needs a signature...with the USPS, you just go to your main facility and pick it up, as you have to go to the UPS 'hub', or wait for another delivery. BUT, my only dealing with them was a positive experience.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭
    Bought 4 raw coins once from them. Opened the package, closed it back up and immediately sent them back. All were whizzed beyond belief. They refunded as soon as they got them back. EOM.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You weren't kidding about that seller's images. This neg says it all:

<< <i>Sells whizzed coins polished with a wire wheel! Do no business with this seller! >>

Russ, NCNE >>

To play devil's advocate, they do have this disclaimer in all of their auctions: "CLEANING: Most of the coins we offer are 50 to 200 years old and will probably have been cleaned in some fashion over their lifetime. Our Macro photos show a detailed condition of the property offered for sale - but not the cleaning history."
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    in some fashion over their lifetime???????

How 'bout "at some point in the last few days.........." image
  • Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    I bought a coin once from them and I was sent a different one than the coin pictured. They weren't able to locate the coin pictured in the auction but they refunded my return shipping costs and were very nice. I wouldn't have a problem buying from them in the future.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll let you know in about a week, I just picked up this neat 1844 clipped large cent for a fairly reasonable Buy It Now.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

<< <i>in some fashion over their lifetime???????

How 'bout "at some point in the last few days.........." image >>

I'm finding them very irritating...I'm 4 dimes from completing my XF/AU Mercury Dime set and they always pop up in my searches. They currently have 2 of the 4 dates I would like for my set with exceptional XF/AU details, but the coins have been whizzed beyond belief image
  • Options

Hi Jim,

I have been dealing with the 'consignment' on Ebay for about 3yrs now, have to say they are one of the very few sellers of coins on ebay that sell you exactly what they say it is! If they list as 'bu' it's a bu, if they list 'obw', its original 'obw! Personally I recently realized, of course after spending a TON of money of 'so-called' bu rolls & ch/bu unresearched rolls, that probably 95% of coin dealers on Ebay are taking advantage of a lot of people, now this is my fault since I hadnt inspected coins when bought, I 'assumed' since they were coin dealers, selling on ebay w/near perfect reviews, I had no need to check and just put them in a box....that is until recently.....here's short story n how I finally realized.....

Im a disabled father of 9 children, adopted 2 and Grandfather of 8-so far, I wasnt able to put squat aside for my kids, let alone Grandkids but Ive collected coins for a long time, once disabled I decided to further the stacking and started trying to flip coins for few more bucks to invest back in, for the soul purpose of biulding something for my offspring, to shorten more, I figured start with Roosevelt runs, since 50 in roll as to cover up to 41 Grandchildren, freaking nuts, I know, anyway 3yrs ago I started buying bu rolls from 1946-present, to put in books for them, well I finally accumulated every year/mint except for a few rare years (actually just contacted 'theconsignmethub' on Ebay just yesterday for help in finding, top of the line coins) so about 6 weeks ago I told a friend I met through Ebay ironically, about all this, he's also a dealer/major collector, and he decided he wanted in on these 'unresearched rolls I found, after buying maybe $800 initially then seeing them firsthand, he has spent $50k in last 5 weeks n wants more....this is where/how I realized its mostly real junk junk silver, 90% coins that is, my friend asked me to go through coins....aka-now research, the rolls, as to cherry pick for coins that PCGS will put a 'deserved' high grade......so I started looking at the dimes to cherry pick, starting with the rolls I had bought n just stored 'assuming to get maybe 4-5 per roll to send in for grading, when I started looking the very first 5 rolls didnt yield me ONE gradeable coin, matter of fact not one coin didnt have less than maybe 5 very distinct n obvious marks but 'assumed', yet again, they were just a few bad rolls, now they were bu, as per explaination of such, but definately the bottom end of such category, but I kept searching, 5 more rolls, same crap, getting real upset but moved on, finally roll 12 yielded me 12 very high end coins, with 17 others that propably give me ms62/3...started smiling again but then next roll right back to crap, same with next one then two, almost 20 rolls later I find another real nice rolls, I forgot to mention, I had accumulated $900/face in 'bu rolls' (Roosevelt's)- to save you math thats 190 rolls-that alone is 45,000 dimes, plus singles I had initially bought, through Ebay at that, .....anyway moving on n shortening, after going through every single dime, this is going to make you sick, out of the 45k I yielded 100 gradeable coins and out of the 190 rolls, purchased through Ebay, I got exactly 15 rolls that were truely bu rolls! I still feel like Im going to have a heart attack!!! Moral of the story, if you want very good coins DO NOT use Ebay, its too easy for the selllers to dump thier 'Shitty' coins while holding on to the valueable coins/rolls, mind you that they paid roughly 35% lower than prices you see across the board or even less than melt in some cases, now if your buying just for silver content then its fine, other than that caause most listed are worth nothing more!!! That being said there are a handful of honest sellers but it takes time to weed them out, has taken me 3yrs....still adding more. So if you plan on Ebay purchases make sure they accept returns, a truely honest dealer will be more than happy to accept/replace, then make sure you inspect it to make sure its truely what it was listed as( invest in a good loop) this way you can be sure your getting wwhat you pay for/want.

Sorry I babbled on but as you can imagine Im pretty disgusted over my Ebay coin purchases, I just thank God I met certain people, especially a certain gentleman who, at 82yrs old, is selling what I 'assumed' I was buying through Ebay and has more truely unresearched ch/bu rolls, complete runs, slabbed coins, etc along with good pricing/quality especially for being unresearched.......I couldnt even guess how many rolls this guy stacked but I can tell you we just bought over 250 rolls and that didn't even dent the pile he pulled them from, I watched him..lol

Well I hope my input/novel helped....and if you have any question feel free to shoot me an email, always willing to help!

Hell forgot main inquiry, the years I need to complete my sets, I have turned to a couple honest dealers I trust on Ebay and 'the consignmenthub is a top one! Matter of fact he's going to look for what I need at upcoming shows he's going to attend since he doesnt have what I need on hand, therefore they are definately n 100% a top seller n if you biuld a repor they will go an extra 10 miles to help you get what you need!!!!

Have Great Day n Good stacking to you!

Ken
    Kenzso85@gmail.com
    Please put 'Coins' in subjest line so I dont think its spam n just delete

Ps-if you (or anyone reading) need/are looking for true bu coins dont hesitate to contact me, even if you need advise! There's plenty of money to pass around so I have no problem helping others.......also if there's specific, including rare coins drop me a note, Im sure I can find

• Options
    basalstatebasalstate Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

Good seller, bought several circulated Walkers for my set from them.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have bought from them before. Sometimes the photo was not the exact coin received, but Bob has always been pleasant, responds reasonably fast, and has had no hassle returns (as needed)

Bob has also gone above and beyond basic services and hunted through items for me previously.

Other than verifying the exact item in photo is the sale item, I have no hesitation to buy from the consignmenthub

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would NEVER buy ANYTHING from this outfit buddy. I had a very bad experience with them a while back.😳

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sell them a lot of stuff, but its mostly proof sets and commem's and such

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

First off - I can't believe anybody would buy rolls of "BU" coins and then just store them away without looking at them!

theconsignmenthub sells mostly crap that is severely cleaned. I must have sent something back because I once later bid on a cheap Dime because it was a variety and I was "blocked". When I called and talked to Bob he was the most HOSTILE person I have ever talked to on the phone! @crazyhounddog was right. Run away!

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2019 2:01PM

They sure want a premium for melt bucket junk. Scrolling through their crap is exhausting. It’s pretty much turned into the ugliest coin museum in the world.

For only 15 bucks plus shipping you can have this cleaned and damaged 37 buff.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2019 2:14PM

dupe

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

NOT recommended.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doctored pictures to make scrubbed up coins look nice! Fool me once....but not a second time!

• Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

I have dealt with theConsignmentHub. As their name implies, they take items on consignment from other sellers. They rely on the descriptions provided by those sellers, so you must know what you are doing because some of the descriptions are innacurate (for example, strike doubling offered as an RPD).
    I rate my experienece with them positive. They are friendly and want buyers to be satisfied.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes, sounds scary !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve had fun studying the close up images of their AU details 1860-S Seated Quarter.
    The funny toning wouldn’t be bad but that business below the mm has kept me guessing for awhile.
    At least they say details in the listing and provide very good images.
    But if the price is too good to be true....

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will not side with or agin them. I do look at all there CC's and pass immediately. Never been even tempted to purchase from them.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a couple of very tough clips from them, my only "complaint" is that they would not budge on their prices. I tried to wait them out on one coin that they listed several times without selling, and they would not budge a dollar from the original listing price. The coins I did end up buying were exactly as pictured and described in their listing, what I saw is what I got.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! I didn't get near this response when I originally posted this in 2011. I have learned not to trust their consignors writeups. I think I have bought one coin from them that was legitimate. Most coins that I am interested in are cleaned as has been posted, so I passed. Good luck folks, use your best judgement when purchasing from unknowns.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Returned a coin and was blocked afterward. Never tried again.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a pretty standard ultra high volume ebay seller.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

Regarding Ebay seller 'theconsignmenthub',
    I found a raw 1902-O Micro O Vam 3 listed by them, $59 plus $3.50 shipping, I added to cart, and paid immediately.
    a few days later, I checked ebay, and see a shipping label was created but nothing ever shipped....
    Contacted them regarding this, got a reply from 'Bob', who stated he ships over 100 items a day,
    was replying from home, and would look into the issue, 8 days after my purchase, they cancelled my purchase,
    claiming the item could not be found in their inventory....

Hmmm, there are currently two similar coins listed by other sellers @ $299 and $350.
    judging by feedback seen here, its par for 'theconsignmenthubs' business plan, bait n switch, partial sets etc..,.
    Here's the message I received with his PROMISE to find another for me, Yeah, ill be holding my breath :D
    "eBay
    New message from: theconsignmenthub Top Rated Seller(117,343RedShooting Star)
    Good Evening,
    I closed out the day at the office with work well into the evening making one last
    attempt to sort through our inventory to find this coin.
    It is not filed by it's inventory number 91228
    I know we printed an invoice and label for it but neither the coin nor the
    invoice/label is to be found on premises.
    I have no other immediate response except to send you a full refund and keep searching.
    It would be inappropriate for us to continue to hold your payment under these circumstances.

I will find a 1902-o micro o dollar for you eventually that will be as nice or nicer
    than this coin for the same or less money if the original cannot be found.

I will find a 1902-o micro o dollar for you eventually that will be as nice or nicer
    than this coin for the same or less money if the original cannot be found.

Best Wishes,
    bob,
    the consignment hub "

Here's a link to a site showing latest ebay feedbacks
    toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=theconsignmenthub&v=60

Desire is oft more pleasant than acquisition.

• Options

I just got two new messages from Bob at theconsignmenthub,

" I WILL EITHER FIND THIS COIN OR I WILL FIND YOU A 1902-O micro at a better price.

At this point I have been unable to find the coin, the invoice that was printed, or the label that we paid for to ship the coin with.
    We do ship 100 orders a day (no excuse) and list 15,000 coin lots a month on eBay and unfortunately these aggravating
    events occur.
    bob,
    the consignment hub"

"I have preserved all your contact information including phone number/email and I assure you that you will have
    the first right of refusal and that I will obtain a 1902-o dollar for you that you will be happy with.

bob,
    the consignment hub

Theconsignmenthub "

Sounds sincere, I'll update my post if/when I hear back from them....

Desire is oft more pleasant than acquisition.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

After many fair transactions with them, I was burned on the most recent. I ordered 20 1963 mint sets. I was immediately put off when I received the sets because they were all sealed envelopes (if you have ever bought ORIGINAL mint sets from this era, you know they were unsealed when shipped out by mint/treasury) . When I opened them I was dismayed to find the worst stained ugly sets I had ever seen. Of course returning them was not an option because they were no longer "sealed".

• Options

The consignmenthub sells alot of junk. Their customer service is horrible. When I wanted to return a coin I was treated like crap. The next time I wanted to purchase something from them I found that I was blocked. Bob is a real jerk and was absolutely rude to me. Never again will I do business with them. I wish them all the worst.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file