Home Precious Metals
Options

Frank-Dodd Act and July 15th, 2011

Has this been discussed on the board? I did a search for Frank-Dodd and did not get any results.

Link

I cannot find any website that discredits the information on the top link.

Is this true? If so, what are the implications for PM values?

Seeking Alpha article on Frank-Dodd Act

Trick Question - Can you find July 21, 2010 on the graphs below? That's the date when the Frank-Dodd Act was signed.

I like large size currency and silver dollars.

Comments

• Options
    I got an email from CMC markets (a CFD marketmaker) today telling me gold and silver contracts won't be available soon.
    Still thinking of what to put in my signature...
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've read a few commentaries on this, and I've read through the language as well. It is very hard to know what regulations are going to be spawned from the law, but the least destructive interpretation that I've seen is that they are simply trying to reign in accounts that speculate on 10:1 leverage and above.

Of course, I've also read that at least 2 firms are not going to be offering futures trading in gold & silver now.

Does anyone have a bead on this yet?image

I'm wondering if today's down market action is the result of these articles being released over this past weekend?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver just took the "up" elevator about $0.60!!! Goes to show, you never can tell!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever otc trading vehicles get taken away will just cause those traders to look at other exchanged-traded vehicles and increase their demand...such as the Comex, GLD, SLV, GDP, AGQ, GDX, GDXJ, PHYS, CEF, etc. Or those players might find similarly highly leveraged otc vehicles in overseas markets to replace them.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Whatever otc trading vehicles get taken away will just cause those traders to look at other exchanged-traded vehicles and increase their demand...such as the Comex, GLD, SLV, GDP, AGQ, GDX, GDXJ, PHYS, CEF, etc. Or those players might find similarly highly leveraged otc vehicles in overseas markets to replace them.

roadrunner >>

Thanks rr. So, are you suggesting these rules will basically have minimal impact on prices and volatility?
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks rr. So, are you suggesting these rules will basically have minimal impact on prices and volatility? >>

It's what we already know, the rules don't apply to the big guys, they always find a way around them even if they have to move the trades overseas.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please see the ICTA thread on this law.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Thanks rr. So, are you suggesting these rules will basically have minimal impact on prices and volatility?

I don't know. But it seems to be the first shot across the bow to get J6P out of trading highly leveraged commodity contracts. Old Joe might just have to stick to trading bullion or
    mining stocks for starters. Supposedly doesn't affect the Comex, but who knows where it's all heading. The effect on the US bullion coin market should be negligible compared to the paper markets. J6P is being herded, but for exactly what remains to be seen.

roadrunner
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has this been discussed on the board? I did a search for Frank-Dodd and did not get any results.

Link

I cannot find any website that discredits the information on the top link.

Is this true? If so, what are the implications for PM values?

Seeking Alpha article on Frank-Dodd Act

Trick Question - Can you find July 21, 2010 on the graphs below? That's the date when the Frank-Dodd Act was signed.

image >>

Did you try Frank Dodd???
  • Options
    TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359
    everything Dodd and Frank touches turns to crap
  • Options
    hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

<< <i>everything Dodd and Frank touches turns to crap >>

spoken with truth.
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • Options
    FRANKENDODD

And I don't mean Al!

roadrunner
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Donk

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt