Home Sports Talk

Things to be Thankful For in Sports. Your Opinions.

I am posting one of the things I am thankful for. This is not what I am asking for your opion on but what you are thankful for.

Nascar is off Fox for the Season and we don't have to listen to Darrel Waltrip anymore this year. What an idiot.

Ron
Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Comments

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That I got to watch Steve Yzerman play for the Winged Wheel for well over 20 years.

Tabe
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thankful that the Phillies will win the World Series this season.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely thankful to have watched Mike Schmidt, the greatest third baseman of all time, play for many years, and thankfully never had to see him in an opposing team's uniform.

Also thankful to have enjoyed the wonderful broadcasts of the late Harry Kalas - there was nobody better.

Thankful that the Phillies and Eagles have been competitive, championship possible teams in any given season for a number of years now, unlike too many past seasons when they had no chance even before the season began.

And most of all, extremely thankful and honored to have graduated from Penn State, home of the best college football coach of all time and overall when including academics, the best college football program of all time.
  • melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    Since my initial statement was negative and stevek and tabe were positive I'll do better.

I am thankful to have lived near enough Atlanta to have been able to make 1 day trips to see the Braves play.

To have seen Dale Murphy play.

To have seen most of the greats from the 80's and 90's play in Atlanta.

To have witnessed the best fireworks display I ever saw in Philadelphia on July 4th, 1990 at Veteran's Stadium. (Was there to see a series with the Braves of course)

To have been able to see a ball game in the old Yankee Stadium, The House that Ruth Built, the summer of 1998, Braves vs. Yankees. The Braves won by the way.

To have been at the game when Bob Horner hit 4 home runs against Montreal.

I have one baseball regret - I never got to see Cal Ripkin play.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I am thankful for(no specific order)
    2004 Red Sox
    2007 Red Sox
    1986 Celtics
    2008 Celtics
    2011 Bruins
    1992 Cowboys
    1993 Cowboys
    1995 Cowboys

Being able to watch Cam Neely, Ray Bourque, Larry Bird, Emmitt Smith and David Ortiz.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thankful for a free ticket to a CWS (college world series) game today, in a new stadium in downtown Omaha. There, I watched California beat Texas A&M. (that part sucked), though I must give those California players credit. They're real strong at bat.... of course the A&M pitcher fed them fastball after fastball and they kept hitting it in the field of play.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    1. In 1996 after coming home to Seattle from Korea my wife got us Sonics tickets. That night Patrick Ewing scored 41 points and grabbed 17 boards to win in overtime. I'm originally from New York. When Ewing was healthy he was a wonderful player who was very powerful with a soft touch. Gets no credit because of no titles.

2. Watched Ichiro set the single season hit record. Exciting night with the Sisler family at the ballpark.

3. Got to see Mark McGwire as a rookie in Yankee Stadium (hit 2 HR's) and in his last year at Safeco Field (upper deck shot to left) and a wonderful BP show.

4. And quite honestly....Watching Michael Jordan from the 3rd row play the Sonics. I went with my son who was 9 years old at the time and very aware of who Jordan was. He scored 26 points. My son and I will have that memory forever...we talk about it all the time.

5. Watched Hank Aaron when he was with the Brewers during his last year.
  • jimmygjimmyg Posts: 139 ✭✭
    I'm thankful to have seen some pretty amazing baseball moments:

I was at Kevin Gross' no-hitter in '93, Kent Mercker's no-hitter in '94, and Mark Buehrle's perfect game in '09.

I saw Tatis hit two grand slams off Chan Ho Park in the same inning.

I saw both McGwire and Sosa homer in '98.

I saw Pujols hit HR number 400.

I turned two unassisted triple plays in the 1983 Northridge Park League 7-8 year old coach-pitch league.

-Jimmy
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm thankful for....
      My dad taking me to my first MLB game in the late 70's when Lou Brock was approaching 3000 hits.
        Seeing McGwire's 63rd and 68th homerun. I have never been in such a festive atmosphere for a regular season game.
          Being able to experience the Lance Armstrong reign in cycling.
          > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
          >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
        • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
          I'm thankful for the inevitable pain Jerry Jones will feel for building that monstrosity of a stadium in Arlington, TX.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
        • VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭
          I'm thankful for guys in sports that set good examples for my kids.
          I'm also thankful for the guys that are the opposite - they reinforce what I teach my kids how NOT to act.
        • Im thankful that I went to the Blackhawks Stanley Cup parade that was larger than any other championship parade in Chicago's history
        • zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

I watched Ken Griffey Jr. play during his prime years in Seattle. He was something to watch back then, man was he awesome!
        • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
          #1 Being able to watch the 2004 ALCS games 4,5,6,7 and the watch as my beloved Red Sox went on to win the World Series, in my opinion the immpossible happened
          #2 Watching the 2001 New England Patriots Shock the world and win the Super Bowl

In all other Sporting events past and Future nothing will ever bring me more happiness than these 2 teams did and THAT Im very Thankful for image
        • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm thankful to have seen some pretty amazing baseball moments:

I was at Kevin Gross' no-hitter in '93, Kent Mercker's no-hitter in '94, and Mark Buehrle's perfect game in '09.

I saw Tatis hit two grand slams off Chan Ho Park in the same inning.

I saw both McGwire and Sosa homer in '98.

I saw Pujols hit HR number 400.

I turned two unassisted triple plays in the 1983 Northridge Park League 7-8 year old coach-pitch league.

-Jimmy >>

I've turned an unassisted triple play as well.

And I think I need to start going to baseball games with you.

Tabe