Home Sports Talk

"Death of a Dream" - 25th anniversary of Len Bias's Death

halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
I went to the University of Maryland from 1984-1987.

I do not think people older or younger than me realize what a big deal this story was, or how great this guy really was. Just watch the ESPN "30 for 30" and you might get an understanding.

"People of a certain age" can remember exactly where they were in detail (I do) when they heard the news of Bias' death. The enormity of his death went way beyond sports. The Celtics schemed three years to get him. HE WAS THAT GOOD!!

I do not know if you ever had the experience of watching someone on TV and having the pleasure of talking to almost every single person at one time or another. You could still hear the agony in the voices of his former teammates, and for some reason this story resonates with me.

Comments

• jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I'm fairly convinced that the Celtics would have another banner or two in the rafters if Bias hadn't OD'd.
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm fairly convinced that the Celtics would have another banner or two in the rafters if Bias hadn't OD'd. >>

So am I.
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I went to UMBC , so naturally over the years I routed for Maryland. I remember the exact time and day , when the news broke.

All the years of watching him play , the comebacks , the highlites , the energy , being picked #1 by the Celtics .... all quickly drowned by a terrible decision , on his part . I followed pretty much his whole Maryland career . He represented what Lefty brought to the floor.

Even though his brother followed the same dark path , with the same result , sometimes I wonder what might have been. This is a sad post to bring up , but in the end it helped me to remember the thunder at Cole Field house, the great comebacks , Lenny working his great magic on the floor. I'll never forget what happened , but choose to celebrate what Lenny did .

Thanks--- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I went to UMBC , so naturally over the years I routed for Maryland. I remember the exact time and day , when the news broke.

All the years of watching him play , the comebacks , the highlites , the energy , being picked #1 by the Celtics .... all quickly drowned by a terrible decision , on his part . I followed pretty much his whole Maryland career . He represented what Lefty brought to the floor.

Even though his brother followed the same dark path , with the same result , sometimes I wonder what might have been. This is a sad post to bring up , but in the end it helped me to remember the thunder at Cole Field house, the great comebacks , Lenny working his great magic on the floor. I'll never forget what happened , but choose to celebrate what Lenny did .

Thanks--- Sonny >>

I will be 45 years old in September, and today I feel very old. It has been an interesting Father's Day.

More or less, he was a classmate. We hung out with these guys on occassion at The Vous.

His death brought an awareness to this topic, and saved a lot of lives in the process.

It was reality, and I got to see reality at its finest.
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I went to the University of Maryland from 1984-1987.

I do not think people older or younger than me realize what a big deal this story was, or how great this guy really was. Just watch the ESPN "30 for 30" and you might get an understanding.

"People of a certain age" can remember exactly where they were in detail (I do) when they heard the news of Bias' death. The enormity of his death went way beyond sports. The Celtics schemed three years to get him. HE WAS THAT GOOD!!

I do not know if you ever had the experience of watching someone on TV and having the pleasure of talking to almost every single person at one time or another. You could still hear the agony in the voices of his former teammates, and for some reason this story resonates with me. >>

I am a big Celtics fan so I remember his death very well. I was 15 at the time, the C's were in their prime and he was going to be handed the torch to another decade of excellence.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm fairly convinced that the Celtics would have another banner or two in the rafters if Bias hadn't OD'd. >>

i agree a major set back in the move from the original big three to the future. i wul dhave loved to see him play pro
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭
    What a tragedy. I remember exactly what I was doing when I heard the news. There have been many reports that he was having a terrible time with all of the media and stuff...he was crumbling. Witnesses said the amounts he was doing were without a doubt deadly. This was not a freak accident. He had been using for quite some time. I was shocked when I heard that law enforcement had been tracking him buying for a while in the "worst" drug infested areas. I will never forget this story.
  • StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    I was at Maryland from 1983-87 and I remember I heard the news as I was just leaving home to go an early morning summer school class there. Devastating. I wasn't a Celtics fan, but I really wanted to see what Bias could have done in the pros - WOW.
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>His death brought an awareness to this topic, and saved a lot of lives in the process. >>

However, it probably wrecked at least as many thanks to the ridiculous sentencing laws that were passed following his death.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • What do Magic Johnson and Len Bias have in common?....................................They both got a hold of some bad crack.