Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Found the 1973 Magazine with Andre the Giant RC

Last summer, at the insistence of my son who argued that they were worth something, I bought a collection of 1100 wrestling magazines off of Craigslist. He has been the primary person to list them on eBay, and since he was away at college until last month, not much of the collection was yet listed. We had five Tupperware bins of magazines, four of which he had deemed "good condition" and the fifth which he had deemed "not so good." He recently finished listing all of the good condition magazines, so today he started dipping into the not good condition bin.

One of the magazines was "Wrestling Annual for 1973 #6." The front says "36 wallet sized photos of your favorite stars," and when my son read that, he remembered this thread. When he opened the magazine, sure enough it was the right issue.

Below are pictures of the cover and the inside pages. If you read the introductory paragraph, it makes it sound like this was the first issue of photos by this magazine.

Collecting Tony Conigliaro

Comments

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Those costumes are way better than today's.

I see Nacho Libre, Paul Bunyan, Elton John, King Abdullah, and Geronimo look-a-likes right off the bat.

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    What amazes me is that a magazine printed in 1973 is referencing baseball cards as an example of a collectible that had skyrocketed in value.
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    How much do you figure the card is worth?
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Hey, there's a Pedro Morales in there. He was one of my favorites when I was a kid. image
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    An andre card recently sold for about 80 bucks on ebay. I'm shocked psa slabs these. Are they on the same stock as the other magazine pages or is it a bit thicker like si for kids cards?
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>An andre card recently sold for about 80 bucks on ebay. I'm shocked psa slabs these. Are they on the same stock as the other magazine pages or is it a bit thicker like si for kids cards? >>

It's on the exact same paper stock.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was back when wrestling was real.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a really great find! The cover is clearly not in great shape but it looks like the paper cut outs are very strong.

You can indeed get these authenticated and I think an Andre in a PSA slab would do quite well.

I sold a bunch of the 78 and 81 paper cards and they can do real well if the right buyers see them.

Congrats on a very rare find!!!
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Joe Leduc looks like Yukon Cornelius from the Rudolph movie...what an un-intimidating persona...I love it!
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    Joe Leduc

Joe Leduc was an absolute nut.

Joe Leduc

The famous arm cutting footage of him.
  • Options

<< <i>What amazes me is that a magazine printed in 1973 is referencing baseball cards as an example of a collectible that had skyrocketed in value. >>

I agree, I smiled when I saw that because we typically think of the 1970s as a time when cards were still cheap.
  • Options

<< <i>This is a really great find! The cover is clearly not in great shape but it looks like the paper cut outs are very strong.

You can indeed get these authenticated and I think an Andre in a PSA slab would do quite well.

I sold a bunch of the 78 and 81 paper cards and they can do real well if the right buyers see them.

Congrats on a very rare find!!! >>

Dpeck, the covers are kind of rough with some staining, but the picture pages all look OK. I know this is a tough question because it isn't a common item, but what do you think it is worth if left alone as a whole book?
  • Options
    I sold a 1978 magazine with the Ric Flair and Andre cards intact for $175

There has never been one sold before that I am aware of in the past few years I have been watching.

In many cases people mis market these magazine not knowing there is any collectors buying paper cards.

There are two ways to market this I think.

First, 1973 Wrestling All Stars Andre The Giant Magazine!!!!! You must use the Wrestling All Stars in the title to get traffic. Use a buy it know or best offer for $299.

Second, same title and start it at $0.99. I was the first to cut up a whole set of the 1978 and 1981 cards and was blown away at how much they went for. The 1981 paper card set I paid $25 and then sold them with the Hogan rookie and others for a total of $416. I was stunned. I had a similar experience with the 1978 but not quite as strong. Use a 10 day auction for something like this to get as many eyeballs as you can to see it.

The risk to cutting them up is this. I sold a Mil Mascaras recently from this set and lost money on it. I thought it would really fly as it is the true Mil Mascaras rookie and no such luck.

I have to admit I am more of a seller of something like this as I appreciate hard backed cards and not flimsy paper from the 1970's. That being said this is a rare artifact from American history and I know for certain someone out there would want this a really be excited to own it.

I would not cut them up as this set is a little weak on star power and having the entact set with a very clean looking Andre makes it much harder to find and in my mind desirable.

Once again a very nice find and I bet you have just a couple of bucks if that in the magazine.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Is that the same Raymond Rougeau who wrestled circa 1989-1991 for the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers??
  • Options

<< <i>Is that the same Raymond Rougeau who wrestled circa 1989-1991 for the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers?? >>

The Wikipedia article and the card both say he turned pro when he was 16, so I would assume that it is in fact the same person.

It's actually funny that you mention the Rougeau Brothers. A few weeks ago, I received an eBay message from a writer names Jim Aronson who said that he wrote for Wrestling's Main Event magazine in the late 1980s/early 1990s, and he wanted to purchase any copies of the magazine that I had if it contained an article that he wrote. I found one magazine, and the article he wrote was something to the effect of "The Rougeau Brothers: Would You Buy a Used Car from These Guys?"
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you ever sell this magazine? These are great cards....
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    I still have it--I pulled it from eBay because a few others have surfaced and I think they are selling for much too little, considering the potential value.

I have also acquired a second 1973, and a 1978, along the way.
  • Options
    Nice find!

Doug
  • Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Hello, If anyone has a complete 1978 wrestling magazine with the cards intact for sale, please let me know? Thanks, Knapp
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Someone give Knapp a Flair RC!!! He will pay for one! image Good luck!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable