Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Only 7 years until the 100th Anniversary Pro Football Team

We are a little over 10 years away from the 100th Anniversary team. I was thinking of who would replace the current players on the team or at least be in the running to replace them.

QB
Otto Graham
Sammy Baugh
Joe Montana
Johnny Unitas

You have Brady, Manning and Favre that have realistic shots. I sat Brady and Manning Make it, but who do you remove?

Fullback
Marion Motley
Jim Brown
Bronko Nagurski

I don't see anyone changing here

Half back
Gale Sayers
O.J. Simpson
Walter Payton
Steve Van Buren

OJ is gone and so is Sayers. Bring in Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith. Tomlinson just can't quite cut it here

Wide Receiver
Lance Alworth
Raymond Berry
Don Hutson
Jerry Rice

Boy o Boy, Randy Moss and Marvin Harrison would need some serious love to get on here. Some may even want T.O. here but no way

Tight End
Mike Ditka
Kellen Winslow

Full course swap out here. Tony Gonzalez and Shannon Sharpe are in

Tackle
Roosevelt Brown
Forrest Gregg
Anthony Muñoz

Walter Jones and Jonathan Odgen were men against boys. I put in Odgen while replacing Brown

Guard
John Hannah
Jim Parker
Gene Upshaw

Upshaw is out and Faneca is in. Can't belive Bruce Matthews does not make the team

Center
Mike Webster
Mel Hein

Can you get Mawea into here? Webster the best pure center to ever play the game and Hein was just a rock. Nope, no change here

Defensive End
David "Deacon" Jones
Gino Marchetti
Reggie White
Mean Joe Greene

Bruce Smith was great, but he can't crack this list. Only guy that he may push out is Greene

Defensive tackle
Bob Lilly
Merlin Olsen

No change, nuff said

Linebacker
Jack Ham
Ted Hendricks
Dick Butkus
Jack Lambert
Willie Lanier
Ray Nitschke
Lawrence Taylor

This position is just loaded. Junior Seau, Derrick Thomas, Derrick Brooks and Ray Lewis. You can't put in all four but two have to go in. Ray Lewis and Derrick Brooks but who do they replace? I can't answer this one.

Cornerback
Mike Haynes
Mel Blount
Dick "Night Train" Lane
Rod Woodson

Deion Sanders is the only one that can crack this list. Maybe Mel Blount steps aside?

Safety
Ken Houston
Ronnie Lott
Larry Wilson

They only have three here and CB has four so I am just adding Ed Reed, no one is off the list

Punter
Ray Guy

Shane Lechler will get the nod here even though Ray deserves to be in the HOF

Kicker
Jan Stenerud

Does Vinatieri overtake Jan? What about Morten Anderson?

Punt Returner
Bill White Shoes Johnson

Two guys here, Dante Hall and Deion Sanders. I say Sanders is in

Kick Returner
Gayle Sayers

Gayle gets nailed twice here and I am sure he is gonna be angry but Dante Hall is in.

Let me know what you think. Tell me to go smoke some more or agree with me. With the lock out we need to talk some football.

Comments

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Deion Sanders is the only one that can crack this list. Maybe Mel Blount steps aside? >>

Don't see Blount getting removed from this team. The NFL changed the rules on the way DB's covered receivers because of Blount's dominance over the years.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    I have to agree on Deion Sanders.....put him in.....
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Thought this would get some football juices rolling. Anyone wanna' chime in?
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I would give the nod to Morten Andersen at kicker. I agree with adding Ed Reed. I think that I would not give the kcik returner to Dante Hall, but rather to Devin Hester. That would be close I guess. With 10 years to decide, Hester will have time to make that claim (or not). At linebacker I would put in Ray Lewis and drop Ted Hendricks. If I added Brooks, I would drop Nitschke. But, I am on the fence on that one. The receivers stay the same. The defensive linemen I agree with you. For the quarterbacks... wow... throw six up there? You can't NOT include Brady and Manning, but none of the others should be dropped. Running backs: I agree, but maybe it is my personal bias, but I really think Marshall Faulk was as good as any of them. OK... center... this is my one crazy selection. I think Mike Webster is a great center, but I don't even think he was the best center in Steelers history. I would give the nod to Dermontti Dawson. I know he isn't in the Hall of Fame, but he was THE dominant center of the 1990's. I cannot fathom why he wasn't a slam dunk inductee. So, I rate him #1 even though that has little chance of happening. That's where I am at.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody pushes Mean Joe out ever. Same for Blount. Morten Andersen is the best kicker of all time as Ray Guy is the best punter. Manning and Brady push out Baugh and Graham. Ray Lewis gets in no shot for the other lbs. Ed Reed gets in at S as well
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    there is a current Pittsburgh Steeler Center that I predict will be considered better than Dawson and possibly Webster in a decade if he stays healthy

I also don't think Shannon Sharpe was better than Winslow Sr. I would put Newsome ahead of Sharpe also personally.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Bringing this back up in December 2013 again. I think with an additional 25 years some positions will need to have more players. So instead of four QB's you have five or six and so on. Also thinking of doing a starting lineup.

We are a little over 7 years away from the 100th Anniversary team. I was thinking of who would replace the current players on the team or at least be in the running to replace them.

QB
    Peyton Manning - Starter
    Otto Graham
    Sammy Baugh
    Joe Montana
    Johnny Unitas
    Tom Brady

Fullback
    Marion Motley
    Jim Brown - Starter
    Bronko Nagurski

I don't see anyone changing here

Half back
    Barry Sanders
    O.J. Simpson
    Walter Payton - Starter
    Steve Van Buren
    Emmitt Smith

Wide Receiver
    Lance Alworth
    Raymond Berry
    Don Hutson - Starter
    Jerry Rice - Starter
    Randy Moss

Tight End
    Tony Gonzalez - Starter
    Kellen Winslow

Tackle
    Roosevelt Brown
    Forrest Gregg
    Anthony Muñoz - Starter
    Jonathan Odgen - Starter
    Walter Jones

Guard
    John Hannah - Starter
    Jim Parker - Starter
    Gene Upshaw
    Alan Faneca
    Bruce Matthews

Center
    Mike Webster - Starter
    Mel Hein

Defensive End
    David "Deacon" Jones - Starter
    Gino Marchetti
    Reggie White - Starter
    Mean Joe Greene
    Bruce Smith

Defensive tackle
    Bob Lilly
    Merlin Olsen - Starter

Linebacker
    Jack Ham
    Dick Butkus - Starter
    Jack Lambert
    Ray Nitschke
    Lawrence Taylor - Starter
    Ray Lewis - Starter
    Derrick Brooks
    Mike Singletary - Starter

Cornerback
    Mike Haynes
    Mel Blount
    Dick "Night Train" Lane - Starter
    Rod Woodson
    Deion Sanders - Starter
    Willie Brown

Safety
    Ken Houston
    Ronnie Lott - Starter
    Larry Wilson
    Ed Reed - Starter

Punter
    Ray Guy

Kicker
    Jan Stenerud

Punt Returner
    Devin Hester

Kick Returner
    Gayle Sayers

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    We are a little over 10 years away from the 100th Anniversary team.
    That's where you were in June 2011!!! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    HA! You fixed it!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.