Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Any Sets of the 2000s worth collecting/grading?

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone out there has any thoughts on the future of collecting or grading sets from the 2000s. I collect and encapsulated three sets from the 2000s.

1. 2001 Topps Archives Autographs (hall of famers and retired stars autos on reprocuction rookie cards)
2. 2002 Diamond Kings Cuts (mix of autos, GU jerseys, and GU bats serial numbered)
3. 2009 Topps T-206 autos (mostly rookies and some up and coming stars)

Does anyone think it is a waste of money to have PSA grade these types of cards?

Comments

• Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like them graded, just looked at a bunch of your cards. they look good slabbed, some great names in the sets.
    good luck getting the last for the 2001 Topps Archives Autographs

i really like the 2009 t206 framed autos, i have a bunch i am waiting to sub, just waiting to get some more of my 2004 spx set done.
    even though these are newer sets 10;s are not as easy as you would think...lots of chipping on some these issues

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    I do all the SP Authentic football sets. It's quite a challenge and I shoot for 10's. The good thing about grading modern cards is that you don't have to do a whole set. There are so many great insert sets that you can build a nice collection for a reasonable price. One of my favorite is the 2001 SP AUthentic Sign of the Times Auto set. You can check out the set and some scans here: Fabfranks 2001 SP SOTT set
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    i agree with frank. i have started a few of the SP football insert sets as well. the ones i like have a nice mix of hofers/future hofers in them. i just had the 1992 finest football set graded. overall, half of the set are HOFers. plus its the first finest set. until the last two or three years i was collecting all the finest sets with the SP autos RC's. then they went away from the auto RC's as part of the set to as inserts/parallel cards and that kinda killed my interest some.

but there are good sets out there. just find the ones you like. in many cases cards can be had for real cheap.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    image However its only my opinion
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    There aren't any base sets that I would try to complete graded. However, there are several good insert sets that are popular and look great in slabs.

1) I would start with 2006 and forward Allen & Ginter. Each year they have a framed autographed mini subset that is wildly popular. I worked on these sets in '08 and '10. Very fun to putting those together and they look amazing.
    2) You could take any year's Bowman Chrome set and just work on the autographed RC
    3) Another way to play Bowman Chrome is to work on a blue refractor set. The blue refractor's are #'d to 250, so not to difficult to complete.
    4) Heritage is probably almost equally as popular as Allen & Ginter. Again- I wouldn't slab the base cards, but just find an insert set to work on. An example in the 2010 Heritage set would be to get a slabbed set of all the black refractors, which are #'d to 61.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    I think thats what makes the modern sets so collectible. There is just so many different style sets, plus an abundance of insert sets if you don't want to commit to building a large set.
    I would even advise to go back into the 90's and look at some of the insert sets from Fleer, Ultra, SP, Upper Deck and Score. I believe there are many undervalued insert sets that can be had cheaply and look great in PSA slabs.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion