Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help me decide which ones to sell....Canadian or Russian?

I have PCGS graded Russian 5 Rubles

1902 AP Russia 5Rbl PCGS MS64
1903AP Russia 5Rbl PCGS MS66
1902 AP Russia 5Rbl PCGS MS64

or I can sell a Canadian set with a Gold coin in it.

Which are more rare or are both common and sell both???
What do you suggest selling? All of them as I think the Russian gold is almost considered bullion and the
Canadian set is semi rare with the gold piece in it?

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a collector, keep the Canadian set. Fantastic toning.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As a collector, keep the Canadian set. Fantastic toning. >>

Agreed!
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    NO_NO-NO---Sell it to me!image
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But with the great toning of the Canadian coins isn't the set worth more than the average $700-800 it sells for
    on EBay ?
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Russian 5 Ruble coins are a dime a dozen, even possible to get them in MS-67. I would sell them.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't comment on the Russian coins, but eventhough the 1967 Canadian coins are beautifully toned, they are common and not much (if any) premium is given for SP 1967 Canadian coins (even when toned).
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't comment on the Russian coins, but eventhough the 1967 Canadian coins are beautifully toned, they are common and not much (if any) premium is given for SP 1967 Canadian coins (even when toned). >>

+1

I really like the toning, but there's just not even close to the same market premium for Canadian toners like there is on older (Morgans, etc) US coins.

Funny aside, I actually had an Ebay seller block me after I basically just stated this opinion to him. He was trying to sell me toned Canadian coins (outside of ebay even) at a giant markup and got extremely mad that I would challenge his world view of Canadian toned coins lol. I still see his auctions from time to time, but he always pulls them down in the last 24 hours if they don't meet the price he wants. Fee avoidance (saving money on not setting a reserve) all the way, but Ebay doesn't seem to care.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options

<< <i>I think I would keep the Canadian set. I think a lot of times the gold coin is missing. maybe Double Eagle can tell us if these sets are often missing the gold. >>

They quite often are missing the gold coin. The one I own included image Typically the gold coin just sells alone as bullion, as it's worth nearly 20x what the rest of the set is.

I suppose selling the gold coin alone and keeping the rest of toned set is certainly an option. Should raise a good amount of capital (the coin is just over 1/2oz of gold), while at the same time keeping the toners you enjoy.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    Curiously enough I have a few of the $20 coins, but none of the rest save a few hundred of the cents.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think I would keep the Canadian set. I think a lot of times the gold coin is missing. maybe Double Eagle can tell us if these sets are often missing the gold. >>

Yes, quite often the $20 gold is missing.

But this doesn't mean when it's in the set, there's added value.

Heck, I've got one of the highest graded (ICCS PL67 Heavy Cameo $20 gold) and can only get a modest price for it.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

<< <i>Heck, I've got one of the highest graded (ICCS PL67 Heavy Cameo $20 gold) and can only get a modest price for it. >>

Indeed, a lot of uncommon gold coins these days are basically just sold at the bullion price with a small premium on top, even in highest grades. I've seen this in everything from 1800's sovereigns to modern proofs.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a 67 set, No gold piece, totally fantastically toned.... Not graded, but there was not a single issue with is...
    a Chinese fellow from Hong Kong wanted it so badly he offered me 215 Euros for it. I had it listed in Europe....
    he bought it because of the Rabbit..... he said this was the best Rabbit he had seen anywhere...
    I still have the complete set with the $20 also, but NO toning...
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

<< <i>The Russian 5 Ruble coins are a dime a dozen, even possible to get them in MS-67. I would sell them. >>

I'll take a dozen. Where do send my dime? image
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful set, lovely toning and one of my absolute all time favorite designs, simple, powerful and effective. Early on, I briefly collected Canadian cents so have a couple of these without gold unfortunately, one of which I've probably've had since the early 1970s.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    Any nice 10 or 15 Rublei coins? I need those for my Russian type set.

BTW before you fleaBay, do remember the fee free BST.
  • Options

<< <i>Back in '67, the set was shipped to US collectors with a medallion in place of the gold coin.

It was still illegal for US citizens to own gold bullion, and I'd guess perhaps there was a restriction against even .900 coins, if modern(?) >>

Interesting. I recently bought a small collection that had two versions of the 1967 specimen set. The first one is in a black case, has the hole for the $20 gold coin. The other is in a similar case, but the case is red and has a different coat of arms on the front. Inside this red case is a silver Canada medallion (about the same size as the dollar, maybe a tad bigger) instead of the $20 gold coin. I'd gather this red case was the alternate/non-gold version that was made available to the USA?