Home Sports Talk
Options

What happens if a player commits an ejectable offense after the game is over?

digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
If a guy strikes out looking and decides to get in the umpires face about it, he'll probably get ejected. But what if the guy strikes out looking to end a game and gets in the umpires face about the called strike 3? Can the player get suspended, or can he mouth off all he wants as long as he doesn't touch the ump?
My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    like last night?

probably nothing, but the umpiring crew will remember it this evening, is my best guess.

Wilson threw a sick pitch! was it outside? i thought it was close and too close to take with two stikes

Sandoval was pretty cool about the previous play at 3rd.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If a guy strikes out looking and decides to get in the umpires face about it, he'll probably get ejected. But what if the guy strikes out looking to end a game and gets in the umpires face about the called strike 3? Can the player get suspended, or can he mouth off all he wants as long as he doesn't touch the ump? >>

A player can get suspended for any negative activity on or off the field...before, during or after the game.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I would think that he could still get in trouble, what if he walked to the dugout and started throwing bats and baseballs towards the ump...would think there would be some repercussions......who's got a rule book out there!!
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    this is the closest i could find

(c) Each umpire has authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these
    rules.

(a) The umpire shall report to the league president within twelve hours after the end of a
    game all violations of rules and other incidents worthy of comment, including the
    disqualification of any trainer, manager, coach or player, and the reasons therefor.
    (b) When any trainer, manager, coach or player is disqualified for a flagrant offense
    such as the use of obscene or indecent language, or an assault upon an umpire,
    trainer, manager, coach or player, the umpire shall forward full particulars to the
    league president within four hours after the end of the game.
    (c) After receiving the umpire’s report that a trainer, manager, coach or player has been
    disqualified, the league president shall impose such penalty as he deems justified,
    and shall notify the person penalized and the manager of the club of which the
    penalized person is a member. If the penalty includes a fine, the penalized person
    shall pay the amount of the fine to the league within five days after receiving notice
    of the fine. Failure to pay such fine within five days shall result in the offender
    being debarred from participation in any game and from sitting on the players’
    bench during any game, until the fine is paid.

searchable pdf MLB rules
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Umpire(s) file a report with the league office and Frank Robinson takes it from there.

Good for you.