Home Sports Talk

Sports Psychology regarding "Motivation"

halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
I remember my hockey coach (we played all over the region in NJ, NY, and PA) had us in a tournament at Hershey, PA.

Hershey, PA was a very good team (better than us). One of our players got into an off-ice scuffle with one of their players and said "wait until tomorrow, we are going to kick your (expletive) butt!

When the coaches broke it up, the guy said that he was going to use that for motivation to bury us. My coach pointed his finger two inches from the kid's face (this was 1977, mind you) and said "if you need that to motivate you in the finals of a big tournament, are chances have improved 10-fold!"

We upset them, and it was not even close. I did not play in the game.

So that's the story: Should athletes who take pride in their craft really need to be "motivated" by external stuff such as this? When Brett Favre's father died, does anyone realize that could have gone either way as his emotion was very raw? As an professional athlete, should you need that to perform at a higher level?" One may think that he should be performing at a higher level ALL OF THE TIME. That's why he is out there. So what if his father did not die, was he going to try any less???

Keep in mind, that I have not divulged MY opinion on this. I want to hear what you have, but I ask you not to make a hasty one - AND KEEP IT CIVIL!

Thanks,

Greg

Comments

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    Greg....I know you are a man of wisdom and others who read here...

i am looking for a story about a hockey player. i don't know who but it may be Gretzky, Messier, Super Mario, or someone else.

the story line goes the defeated player in the Stanley Cup Finals was clearing out his locker and the team was heading out to golf, to the farm, fishing, etc.

this player glanced in the winning team's locker room and saw players on IV drips, getting some almost ER treatment of injuries, etc. in other words they really gave it their all.

this defeated player realized that the winning team wanted it more, sacrificed more and later went on to win some Cups based somewhat on this "motivation".

wish i could find the quote or story.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>One may think that he should be performing at a higher level ALL OF THE TIME. >>

If professional athletes were robots, then this would be the case, but since they're humans, they're subject to being affected by emotion.

Emotions and mental state can have various effects on the body, which can serve to focus or distract, as well as enhance or hinder the player.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Greg....I know you are a man of wisdom and others who read here...

i am looking for a story about a hockey player. i don't know who but it may be Gretzky, Messier, Super Mario, or someone else.

the story line goes the defeated player in the Stanley Cup Finals was clearing out his locker and the team was heading out to golf, to the farm, fishing, etc.

this player glanced in the winning team's locker room and saw players on IV drips, getting some almost ER treatment of injuries, etc. in other words they really gave it their all.

this defeated player realized that the winning team wanted it more, sacrificed more and later went on to win some Cups based somewhat on this "motivation".

wish i could find the quote or story. >>

You may find my answer a bit surprising:

IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHO YOU ARE!! My coach was an a-hole, because he expected 11-year-old kids to play like the Soviet Red Army hockey team. Of course, someone like me is not motivated or inspired by all of that stuff - but as people who have interacted with me on this board know, I march to the beat of a very different drum.

It was only recently that I realized that my way was not the best way for everyone, it's a common trait for people with Asperger's. Since I have been on these forums and on Facebook, I have developed a more objective view of things with regards to how other see things - even if I do not agree with that person.

As far as emotions go, it is the coach's decision at any level to see how they are effecting that player. Why do you think Lombardi was such a genius? Look at Fred Shero with the Flyers. Enough said. You play the hand you are dealt. The best know how to maximize their value.

Greg
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Greg....I know you are a man of wisdom and others who read here...

wish i could find the quote or story. >>

That was Gretzky saying it to a teammate as they walked by the Islanders locker room.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

That was Gretzky saying it to a teammate as they walked by the Islanders locker room. >>

"We both knew we were going to have to walk by the Islander locker room, and we were dreading it: having to see all the happy faces, the champagne shampoos, the girlfriends' kisses, the whole scene we wanted so much.
    But as we walked by, we didn't see any of that. The girlfriends and the coaches and the staff people were living it up, but the playeres weren't.
    Trottier was icing what looked like a painful knee. Potvin was getting stuff rubbed on his shouler. Guys were limping around with black eyes and bloody mouths. It looked more like a morgue than a champion's locker room.
    And here we were perfectly fine and healthy. That's why they won and we lost. They took more punishment than we did. They dove into more boards, stuck their faces in front of more pucks, threw their bodies into more pileups. They sacrificed everyting they had.
    And that's when Kevin said something I'll never forget He said, 'That's how you win championships'"

-Wayne Greztky, "Gretzky an Autobiography"

PM sent and a public thanks...and sorry to partially hijack your thread Greg, but i was looking at "motivation" and this story meant a lot to me.